Mayday Mayday - Sudden Airbrushing Problems :(

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Hi all

This has come out of nowhere, today I picked up the airbrush to to a couple of test pieces and no matter what paint mix or brand the airbrushes are spittling / spluttering when I open the paint feed, it gets worse as I increase the paint feed. For a few seconds its OK then gradually deteriorates. Getting this on Vallejo, Ammo and Primer. Have used all these before with no problems. Have tried both my Iwata and H&S same issue across both. If I run Cleaner through them its fine I get a nice controllable mist spray, anything else splutters. Spraying at my normal pressures for the above paints. I'm not getting any clogging either?

Kinda stuck right now, only thing I can determine is that the compressor is a little hot so I am letting it cool and check the tank drain and a little water came out not excessive though.

Any feed back very welcome

Warren

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Do you have a water trap on your air line?

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Hi Alan yes.

Its seems with thinner, cleaner and water its perfect anything else and both brushes are having problems

D

Deleted member 7181

First thought if they are spraying cleaner through fine is that you have a slight blockage. Unusual for both to be affected at the same time though.

Cleaner is much less viscous than any paint so can get through a minor blockage that other materials can't.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
First thought if they are spraying cleaner through fine is that you have a slight blockage. Unusual for both to be affected at the same time though.

Cleaner is much less viscous than any paint so can get through a minor blockage that other materials can't.

Have stripped and cleaned both, they are spotless. Letting the compressor cool now for a bit.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Have you drained the compressor tank?
Pete

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Have you drained the compressor tank?
Pete

Hi Pete

yes undid the little drain spud on the bottom of the tank and got a little fluid out of it, not a huge amount had to shake it a little to get more out.

Warren

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Is the air hose kinked?

Nope changed hoses to be sure.

Whats most odd everything is ok for the first few secs, but as I increase the paint flow it starts to wrong, immediately thought I was getting clogging, but no all clear

Stumped right now

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Has to be something limiting the air flow, but I can't think what.
Pete

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Having re-read your initial post i was wondering if you are getting a constant pressure? Seems like your air flow is fluctuating

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Having re-read your initial post i was wondering if you are getting a constant pressure? Seems like your air flow is fluctuating

It's what I'm hoping is the case so have cleaned up for the night and will see how we are in the morning.

Thanks all for the responses so far

Warren

Bortig the Viking

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mark
If it's both brushes, surely it's got to be hose or compressor, maybe it needs a service or is failing for some reason.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
As you say you've the same problem with the Iwata and H&S,the same issue across both Warren .
Has to be the compressor then, what type is it ?

D

Deleted member 7181

Yes, too unusual for the same thing to happen to both brushes at once.

Just thinking out loud but since an airbrush works on the venturi effect, just like the spray guns I'm more familiar with, if the airflow/volume is reduced from your air supply (not necessarily pressure), then there may be just enough to pull a thin fluid like cleaner or water through, but not enough to pull the relatively thicker paint or primer. So that would put me with everyone else that thinks it's compressor, or maybe regulator/hose/connector related, where you are getting some air, but not enough.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
I noticed you mentioned the compressor getting hot. If this is unusual then I would suspect it’s definitely the compressor, and would look at the potential causes of the heat.
Perhaps a blockage or an obstruction?

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
Hi all thanks again for the suggestions.. Its been sitting over night so will see how it is this morning.

It's an A186 compressor.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Warren
Have a look at this video. Removing the head and servicing the compressor might help. I did mine. Relevant section starts about 5 mins in.
Jim

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
It's only a month old would it need that level of intervention