Mech kitbash

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
That's superb work Andy but I'm inclined to agree it looks a bit top heavy on that little chassis.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks all. There's still plenty to do but no rush, I'll fit it in between the up-coming GB's

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I've been working on the base, mostly beefing up the lift section and adding a bit of detail. With so many different shapes, colours and materials it was getting a bit out of hand so it's had a coat of primer to unify everything.

It's shown up plenty of areas that need a bit of filler, but also highlighted places where I can make improvements.

1000008105.jpg

1000008106.jpg

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks gents.

This will probably get pushed to one side for a while with two simultaneous group builds coming up, but it'll give me more time to think of what to do with the hull itself to beef it up.

Double width tracks would look cool but I don't have quite enough left over for that. Maybe some kind of attachment on the front too, like a dozer blade or similar.

I'm just thinking out loud for now but I'm sure something will come to me :smiling3:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
What about something like the Gama Goat or one of those articulated Arctic tractors? You're right though. The primer has pulled everything together nicely.

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
What about something like the Gama Goat or one of those articulated Arctic tractors? You're right though. The primer has pulled everything together nicely.
Ooh, I like you're thinking. Gama Goat / BV206 kind of thing.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
My thinking was that the recoil from that cannon being so high up would tend to tilt the base backwards. Some sort of rigid connection to a trailer at the back would counterbalance that. But who wants to bring reality into such a great build?! :smiling3:

Scratchbuilder

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
My thinking was that the recoil from that cannon being so high up would tend to tilt the base backwards. Some sort of rigid connection to a trailer at the back would counterbalance that. But who wants to bring reality into such a great build?! :smiling3:
Excellent build of a sci-fi subject.
To offset the recoil how about hydraulic rams from the trailer to the main body... Pivot points on the corner of each vehicle and an arm with another pivot with the hydraulic ram connected to that??

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Excellent build of a sci-fi subject.
To offset the recoil how about hydraulic rams from the trailer to the main body... Pivot points on the corner of each vehicle and an arm with another pivot with the hydraulic ram connected to that??
A pair of big leg spikes out the back
With shock-absorber springs at the joints

Or a shovel blade like, which is it, the M109 or M107?

Andy T

It's all in the wrist
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks, some food for thought there.

That’s one bad ass looking mech Andy
Cheers Mick

Ironically it was on the verge of tipping forward all the time, despite the weight I'd added, so I had to chop it open and add more near the back!

I do have a cover story though; when raised up it will only use the small barrel for short range and light shells. When using the big barrel for long range it'll hunker down for less recoil and more accuracy :smiling5:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Thanks, some food for thought there.

Cheers Mick

Ironically it was on the verge of tipping forward all the time, despite the weight I'd added, so I had to chop it open and add more near the back!

I do have a cover story though; when raised up it will only use the small barrel for short range and light shells. When using the big barrel for long range it'll hunker down for less recoil and more accuracy :smiling5:

You been learnin' from Ron? 'e's got an answer for everythin! :smiling3: