Miniart 1/16 Athenian Hoplite

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Lee and Ralph.

I'm finding this much more challenging than I thought I would - trying to do a half decent job with a rough kit I suppose. One of these was actually my first ever attempt at a larger scale figure - amazing that it didn't put me off.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

I feel a little jealous of your older figures physique, I must have had a misspent youth and mid life too LOL

Your metal work is superb, and just with dry brushing too, something to keep in mind for Maximus, when I get to paint him.

The expanse of flesh does look to be better modulated and your improvements do sit well with the overall look of a very physically developed figure.

Definitely better than the 1st time, you are getting used to this painting lark!

Its another grey wet day in paradise up North!

Have a good day with the paints

Regards

Steve H

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter,

That was yesterday's reply, hummm must be getting old aged brain fog, as I hadn't hit the post reply button D'ohhh.

Still looking really good, do you still have the 1st version, or has he been recycled?

Thankfully the weekend is getting closer, and its the 3 day Saltaire Dragon boat festival in Roberts Park.

Its always a great weekend for enjoying alternative foods and drinks and all done for charity too.

Hopefully the forecast will stay positive with little chance of rain!

Have a good day finishing the shield and spear,

Whats next?

Regards

Steve H

right which button is it? LOL

D

Deleted member 6559

Scottie - Undercrackers? He spent simply hours ironing those pleats into his chiton darling.

Steve - a senior moment is allowed - I'm having plenty at the moment. glad you like our chap. I still have the other two from the series in the cabinet; this was an attempt to complete the trio. I reckon at least two more days finishing (Granddaughter's here, so may be longer).

The dragon boat festival sounds fun. I once got to attend the Brisons sea race at Cape Cornwall where they end the day with a viking boat attack - the local kids are supplied with bags of flour to repel the invaders. mayhem.

D

Deleted member 6559

Some progress made:

100_4886.JPG100_4887.JPG100_4889.JPG

I was planning to put more colours onto the helmet crest, but it was so badly modelled that it became a damage-limitation exercise instead. I next painted and added the cuirass clasps, which were small and fiddly and needed to be bent to make them fit.

I then made a cord for the sword by twisting together some painted red and black cotton, then painted and added the sword.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Despite the roughness of the figure it is looking excellent. The metal work is very nice.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Many thanks chaps. Just the shield to do now, though that tends to be quite an undertaking. Front and back to paint, which is tricky, and cords to make for the back. Just spent half an hour cutting out 5 mil paper triangles to decorate the rim with.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Evening Peter.
Like the definition on the arms and legs, up to your high standard.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Saved the best for last?

Shield emblem?

Were there decals with the kit or are you going free hand!

Looks like good weather for a few days then back to thunder storms!

Have a great mid summers day with the paint and grand daughter too

Regards

Steve H

press the post reply button now!

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Definitely the decal for the shield - the triangular pattern around the edge will take more than enough effort, thank you.

Temperature's set to soar over the next few days - cwazy weather. And the trouble with nine month old granddaughters is that they are so entertaining and distracting - plus she keeps re-arranging my paints.