Miniart 1/16 Athenian Hoplite

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6559

T'is finished:

100_4893.JPG100_4894.JPG100_4895.JPG100_4896.JPG100_4898.JPG

There was a lot of work to do on the shield. The bronze/gold was built up with dry-brushing, then the white triangles were glued around the edge with Pritt - the black edge was pre-painted. The triangles were then given a coat of off-white to kill off the brightness.

The main elements at the back were painted, then cords added from strands of twisted painted black and red cotton. The tassels were added, then painted.

Having had experience of Miniart decals before, which can be very fragile, I put down lots of decal fix first. Even so, the thing started to break up and wasn't happy fitting the curve of the shield. I got it down however, though it did need some touching up.

Finally the base, which had to compensate for the fact that the shield wouldn't reach the ground if the hand was to rest on it. I used an old Verlinden base with some added garden rocks and some Green Line grass tufts.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I really like this. I doubt this figure has ever been done better.
Jim
You were right - his mini skirt does look better toned down :smiling2:

D

Deleted member 6559

Richard - Many thanks. The shield is always a pain to do, especially with Miniart decals, but it got there.

Jim - I've built about at least six of these figures over the years so I have had some practice. Glad you like the colour change to his mini skirt - I was really nervous about doing it.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Hi Peter this is another work of art from you.:tongue-out:
Personally I preferred the white cuirass tabs -I don't know why but white seems more correct for me . But it's your model and they could be pink with sky blue stripes if that was your choice!
I think you've really nailed the acres of bare flesh- top job!

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Neil.

I know what you mean about the white cuirass skirts, but they really did throw back the bronze and flesh. And of course the only reference we have re colours is from vase painting, which is either black, red or white - I wonder if more earthy colours were actually used?

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Thanks Neil.

I know what you mean about the white cuirass skirts, but they really did throw back the bronze and flesh. And of course the only reference we have re colours is from vase painting, which is either black, red or white - I wonder if more earthy colours were actually used?

If you have a word with JR, he might know as he was growing up around this time

As for the figure its a wonderful subject beautifully painted by your good self. Looking forward to the next offering

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Very nice execution very elegant

Steve that’s funny about JR

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Peter, beautifully painted.

Excuse me while I have a word in his King Lear
Mr Jones. I'll have you know that this was only slightly before my time.:smiling:.
Mr Day is quite correct
We in the woodworking trade have been using dyes for years, beetroot, privet leaves , oak leaves amongst others .:tongue-out3:

D

Deleted member 6559

Cheers chaps, glad you like him.

Thanks John - I reckon it would have been all reds, oranges yellows and greens.

Reactions: JR

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Nice work on the colour swap, less Hollywood more realistic.

Time to find your new build

Another lost weekend and I am catching up again

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Thanks Steve - Glad you approve of the colour change.