Miniart 1/16 Greek Hoplite IV Century B.C.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
this was a big ask for me to get this done in a way I'd be happy with and too some degree I am

The kit went together better than the Roman so that was a plus but the armour I was worried about but I'm fairly happy with it thanks to Ralph

Things I'm not happy with is the flesh , arms and legs were a problem as the detail was quite smooth so I had to do them a few times and I do need to practice this way more

Eyes are still a problem I can't seem to get them right although I do think I've got the colour tone right for the Mediterranean skin

Bronze was a problem and I feel it's just about ok nothing to shout about though but Paul p has given me some tips on how to better that so thanks Paul I'll try that next time

Decals were a big problem as even though I put micr sol on four times it didn't get rid of the few creases that are there

Over all it's good to fail as we don't learn otherwise

Here's the picks and comments welcome

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Jeez man, I dropped my bacon butty when I saw the first picture...one frightening dude!

Nothing is ever a failure mate. I prefer the words 'Not quite what I wanted'. Without trying, we would never improve.

So there are creases in the decals. It's a great model and now you know the short falls, your next will be even better.....

Let he who has painted flesh, eyes, personal armour perfectly cast the first stone...

Here endeth the lesson.

Amen, and pass the powder!

Kind regards,

Rev. Billy Graham

P

Paul P

Alan another great finish, I especially like the bronze helmet, it looks very realistic, just a point on the hand holding the spear, if you heat the plastic in hot water the fingers will gently bend around the spear shaft, I know I'm nitpicking, I think the problem with the eyes are they look like they are staring, when you have painted the pupils just go over the eyelids so that they slightly cover the pupils the whole figure is very good and with each one you do gets better, Can I ask how long this took to complete ?? keep em coming

Last edited:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ron I appreciate that:smiling3:

Mate from what I wanted it to look like its a failure :D

It is so far from what I wanted it may as well be pink with yellow spots

D

Deleted member 4539

As an overall perspective,I think you have made a damn fine figure.

Yes there are mistakes,but you seem to take them on the chin and you are certainly willing to learn.

Eye's are the bane of many a figure painter, even I still struggle at times.

To work on so much flesh and metallic's takes a brave man and the painting of these is done very well,especially the colours on the bronzed part's.

Early on in my figure painting I was told to practice painting different colour's on stone's(They are free).

keep up the good work Alan.

Ralph.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers guys I really do appreciate that

Being my own worse critique drives me on to try things , I actually think this is a slight step back in some areas like the skirt

Paul I was thinking of that I have done it on other figures but just didn't as this is just practice and it's more about the painting than the cosmetics when I step up and do a figure I know how to paint I'll sertainly do what you suggest:smiling3:

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
I`d be very happy to have produced...... "Failure" ????? ..... Absolute Pish...... That is a striking job.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Peter TBH if didn't build this and saw it I would think the same but then I wouldn't know what that person was trying to achieve

Thanks for the comments I appreciate it

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That's good Alan. Stop beating yourself up. One thing is obvious. Each one that you do there is improvements.

Keep at it.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Cheers Ian I appreciate that, I guess I'm just too impatient with myself