Mirror Models Bulldozer.

First Name
Andy
I have spent a happy few hours today working away on the kit, loads of small parts to keep me busy.
these 16 parts are just for the donkey engine.
50034529343_3d6920454d_b.jpg
There is a lot of work on this models engine, but that is what I like.
The engine has still got a way to go yet.
50035330927_ff217c375a_b.jpg
Here is a close up of one of the sprues with small parts, well made and no flash but you have to be cautious when cutting off the sprue.
50035330832_2d8af5a9b6_b.jpg
The 5p is just for size comparison, or it could be an estimation of my wealth. ;)

Andy.

First Name
Andy
PS Is it just me or is your workbench really HUGE?
It depends on your definition of huge but it is quite large. I converted the loft in the house many years ago to make a place where I could build and store my RC aircraft as the 8 by 6 shed was less than suitable.
50035331517_1542829205_b.jpg
That is just the bit I work on, there is a similar width of bench down each side.

Andy.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
It depends on your definition of huge but it is quite large. I converted the loft in the house many years ago to make a place where I could build and store my RC aircraft as the 8 by 6 shed was less than suitable.
View attachment 390219
That is just the bit I work on, there is a similar width of bench down each side.

Andy.

Yeah. That's huge! Mind you, I suppose it helps you've only just got into your stride. Once you've got well into it, your space will be full of tools, sub-assemblies, paints, glues and all the other paraphernalia we use - and you'll be down to the usual 6 square inches at the front that we all seem to manage with!

First Name
Andy
A bit more progress today but not as much as I would have liked as I ran out of superglue for the PE. Got on with the chassis and the track frames.
50037785728_78dc31284d_b.jpg
Put the engine in just to see what it looks like.
50038333186_209631fc52_b.jpg
This model is getting big, must be at least four and a half inches long now. :smiling5:
Best get some paint ordered as this model will need to be painted and chipped/weathered befor it gets fully assembled.

Andy.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Looking good Andy. Any build issues so far? I have three versions of this and you're really tempting me to start one!

First Name
Andy
Looking good Andy. Any build issues so far? I have three versions of this and you're really tempting me to start one!
Three versions, how much punishment can a man take? ;) No real problems so far other than some holes not matching the pin size so need to be opened out a bit and there are a few seam lines but most of them will never be seen. The pictures/drawings on the instruction sheets could be a bit clearer and they need to be looked at carefully. I looked on the MM website and there is a page on how to do the tracks so I tried their method with a couple of links which (theoreticaly) should click together, well, they do click together but they also pull apart with little or no effort but I have a plan (beware of men with plans). :smiling3:

Andy.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Three versions, how much punishment can a man take? ;) No real problems so far other than some holes not matching the pin size so need to be opened out a bit and there are a few seam lines but most of them will never be seen. The pictures/drawings on the instruction sheets could be a bit clearer and they need to be looked at carefully. I looked on the MM website and there is a page on how to do the tracks so I tried their method with a couple of links which (theoreticaly) should click together, well, they do click together but they also pull apart with little or no effort but I have a plan (beware of men with plans). :smiling3:

Andy.

I really, really doubt I'll build more than one - but the more you tell me, the more I'm tempted. They're only in my stash to give me choices. Besides, we've been pestering manufacturers for years - at least I have - to produce kits of construction equipment. Now they've made some, somebody better buy them or they won't make any more. There is a company who have done a really nice steam shovel in 1/35 (Andy's Hobby Headquarters have a build review) but it's in resin and I gotta win the lottery before I can afford one.

Just waiting for a JCB or equivalent backhoe in 1/35th. Not holding my breath though. They've been around for years and years everywhere in the world, both civilian and military, and the build/paint/dio options are absolutely endless - and still no-one's made one!! (Apart from the old Airfix/Dapol one in 1/87 and Monogram or AMT made a John Deere backhoe in 1/24 or 1/25). I could maybe understand if JCB were charging too much for copyright or whatever the equivalent is, but other companies make these things - surely they'd want their products advertised in this way.

First Name
Andy
Just waiting for a JCB or equivalent backhoe in 1/35th. Not holding my breath though.
Hasegawa make a 360 degree excavator in 1/35 but it seems no one in the UK has one in stock at the moment.

Andy.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hasegawa make a 360 degree excavator in 1/35 but it seems no one in the UK has one in stock at the moment.

Andy.

Don't they make two versions, one on wheels the other on tracks? I'm keeping my eyes open for both. Like I said, if no-one buys this type of kit, they'll stop making them.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Andy. Nice progress so far keep up the good work

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yyyyeeesss!!!

Just checked out those Hasegawa excavators and found that Panda models have released a 1/35 JCB type machine. It's a military version labelled
HMEE-1 - High Mobility Engineer Excavator - their model no PH35041.

It's an armoured military type machine, but at least it's a step in the right direction. I'm off to order one.

Poop! Cheapest is from DawnGrocerystore in China. I've dealt with them before and had no problems but he's away until mid July:confused:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Found this review for the HMEE. Looks like there are a few issues but nothing I would call a deal breaker

First Name
Andy
Found this review for the HMEE. Looks like there are a few issues but nothing I would call a deal breaker
A while ago I looked at a build video on youtube and though..............no, I will not bother with that!

Andy.

First Name
Andy
Not been doing much these last few days as it has been that warm that working in the loft was not possible so I spent long days on the bike instead and even then it was warm inside all that protective gear.
There are quite a lot of small parts to make up one track frame.
50051828331_a929e1d6fc_b.jpg
50053595418_4390441e92_b.jpg
With a bit of fettling and sanding it goes together well.
50053595538_06c889c0e8_b.jpg
50054420887_cb7690459f_b.jpg
Only one more to do, seems a bit strange that they call the tracks workable when the drive sprockets and front idlers are fixed, only the bottom rollers move. If you do the model with the covers over the track mechanisms then some parts are not needed as they will be unseen. I notice looking at the picture I need to do a bit of sanding on that front cover

Andy.

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought that! Moveable track and fixed wheels? What's the point?

First Name
Andy
I thought that! Moveable track and fixed wheels? What's the point?
Yes, it's like having a highly detailed engine with all the panels/bonnet glued shut, but at least it means the tracks will be easier to do if you do not have to worry about all the links being movable. :smiling:

Andy.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andy looking good mate. I found with the Stalin version lots of very small parts that when fitted would never be seen !