Monogram Panzer IV

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

The Panzer IV is complete.

This kit was an exercise in nostalgia for me. In the mid-'70s a friend introduced me to the Monogram Armor Series. My first tank kit was the Sherman Calliope "Screamin' Mimi." After that, I built (in no particular order) the Wirbelwind, a few StuGs, US Halftrack with twin .50 MGs in an anti-aircraft mount, German 8 wheeled armored car (Sdkfz 232, I think) the US Jeep towing a 37mm anti-tank gun, the US Halftrack personnel carrier with troops... I could go on. I instantly became enthralled with armor, and that is what I have built primarily since.

This particular kit built up exactly as the ones I built back then. This was a re-release of the original which was first molded in 1970. For such an old kit, it actually wasn't that bad to build. Everything fit like it was supposed to, and cleanup wasn't too bad. Detail was pretty good for an old kit and there are not many parts. I would definitely recommend this kit for a beginner. Easy to follow instructions, and no surprises. One improvement on this re-release in comparison to the original is track fit. On the original Panzer IV based Monogram kits, the tracks were slightly short, creating some serious tension on the running gear. On all of my kits the idlers ended up angled out due to excess tension. The newer release has corrected this. The tracks fit snug, but nowhere near tight, so the idlers don't get tweaked.

A few of the really nice things about this kit are the addition of optional battle damaged schurzen, pre-weathered/damaged decal option and the figures. The battle damage was covered in an earlier post, but I like the way it looks. The decals are nice as well because it gives a person the option to apply some scratched up decals or factory fresh.

But, the most surprising thing about this kit is the quality of the figures. First off, they look closer to 1/35 scale (considering the vehicle is 1/32) so they could be used for other kits. Next, is the detail of the figures. I have some tamiya figures from the same time frame and newer, and these figures are much better in detail and molding. There was a mold seam to deal with, but it was easy to deal with.

So, in short, for a kit of this age, I have absolutely no complaints. It was a fun build and could easily be knocked out in a few days... paint, weathering and all.

And, without further adieu, here is the Monogram Panzer IV.

20160324_154539_zpsugnohcvy.jpg

20160324_154650_zps1vpcvqom.jpg

20160324_154704_zps2fnrkvbs.jpg

20160324_154803_zps09krmzup.jpg

20160324_154852_001_zpspbpc8mcc.jpg

20160324_154926_zpsdz2k7mlx.jpg

20160324_154448_zpsi9ii9534.jpg

First Name
Jimbob
Nice paint job weathering good especially like the holes on the plate armour, like it a lot.

Jim

F

Fenlander

Really like this one Brett. Been a pleasure to follow the build and see the tweaks you have done such as the Zimmerit. Great colour scheme, the figures are posed nicely and set it off well. Very nicely finished. I bet you enjoyed your modelling nostalgia with this one ;)

D

dubster72

A very nice result from an old kit Brett. Your homemade zimmerit is particularly impressive.

Personally, the damaged schürzen doesn't work for me - whatever would cause that big hole would have probably left the tank in ruins too!

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

\ said:
A very nice result from an old kit Brett. Your homemade zimmerit is particularly impressive.
Personally, the damaged schürzen doesn't work for me - whatever would cause that big hole would have probably left the tank in ruins too!
That's funny. Even as a kid I thought the same thing when I built these.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great job on the camouflage and overall appearance Brett.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do real like this one,Brett,very well done,with tri-color camouflage,good patten,

and most of all not to bright,and well weathered,

lov the shell holes,very well done,.

the overall look is great,very nicely weathered, ;)

this this kit come with the zimm ?,

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Thanks for all of the compliments.

Monica, I added the zimm using water-based wood filler. This was my first attempt. It might be slightly coarse for this scale, but I still like the way it turned out. Next time I will try a finer pattern so it will be more accurate scale-wise. Glad you like it , though.

geegad

Can't cheat fate..
First Name
John
Looks the part and nice work on the camo

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
\ said:
Thanks for all of the compliments.
Monica, I added the zimm using water-based wood filler. This was my first attempt. It might be slightly coarse for this scale, but I still like the way it turned out. Next time I will try a finer pattern so it will be more accurate scale-wise. Glad you like it , though.
wow thats great,your done it so well,maybe I need to give that a try one day, ;)