Movie/TV Show GB Chat Thread

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Welcome to the group build in which you can make a star in someone else’s show!

The idea behind this GB is to make a model that is recognizably from a movie or TV show: choose a movie or show that you like a vehicle, aircraft, ship, robot, or even an actor from, and make a model of that. Which kind of movie or TV show is simple: anything scripted, basically. So no documentaries, real-life TV (though the distinction with that may be a bit blurry …), news footage, computer games (no, not cinematics in them either), and similar, but anything that has a script and actors (including voice actors) is fine, including animated movies and shows in all their variants. Yes, if you want to build a mecha from Robotech or even Postman Pat’s van, you can.

The rest is pretty much entirely up to you: whether you build a single figure or an entire diorama, everything goes as long as it’s clear to the viewer that it represents the thing from that one movie.

However, keep in mind that the prime directive here is that your subject must be recognizable as the one from the movie. Building a Bf 109 and saying it’s from The Battle of Britain isn’t really in the spirit of this GB — but build an HA-1112 and paint it in German colours like in that movie, and it is a good subject. As such, something that appears in the background of a scene really also isn’t the idea here: the model must be of something that clearly goes with the movie.

All in all, the possible subject matter is extremely broad. Simplest, of course, is something from science-fiction: there are tons of kits of Star Wars, Star Trek and other SF available that you could build straight from the box. Other popular shows and movies also have plenty of models, like cars from shows in which they’re a kind of supporting cast member, but you could also go for one of the Hollywood mockups of military vehicles — 1960s and ’70s movies, for example, often featured American AFVs modified to look “German” with more than just a paint job, which can make a nice conversion.

In the opening post of your thread, in which you show the model etc., please also include a picture or video of the thing you’ll be building, as well as information on what the source is. This serves mainly so it will be clear to all readers what the subject actually is, even if they’re not familiar with it.

The group build will run from 1 March though 31 May 2023, so put it on your calendars before you forget! ;) Enjoy!

Last edited:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
OK then, I'll get the ball rolling...
May not be familiar to many,but I'm going for a scratch build of this....
sarahandk9sm.jpg
No,not Dr.Who's lovely assistant Sarah Jane Smith,but the awesome K9,robot dog :smiling3:
Unsure of what scale yet.... I'll work out dimensions and let you know.
It's just one of my fond memories of the show from my early days,and this seems like the perfect time to have a bash at making one :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’m going to be building two (unrelated) models for this group build, both 1:72 scale aircraft:

01F4A25E-A93C-43E7-8A46-5C90285153A5.jpeg

One I’ve been wanting to build for a while, the other came to me as I was thinking about the subject of this group build. Anyone care to guess what they will be? The paint is a clue for one of the two :smiling3:

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This will be my contribution, couldn't decide between Thunderbirds and this from Space 1999 I've wanted to build an Eagle for quite a while now. I used to have a dinky metal one many years ago.
View attachment 469094
NICE ...... Wish I'd thought of that !! :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
OK then, I'll get the ball rolling...
May not be familiar to many,but I'm going for a scratch build of this....
View attachment 468487
No,not Dr.Who's lovely assistant Sarah Jane Smith,but the awesome K9,robot dog :smiling3:
Unsure of what scale yet.... I'll work out dimensions and let you know.
It's just one of my fond memories of the show from my early days,and this seems like the perfect time to have a bash at making one :smiling3:
Someone connected to our Model club and who runs some model shows in a local village is the man responsible for designing and building K9!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Someone connected to our Model club and who runs some model shows in a local village is the man responsible for designing and building K9!
Not sure I’d admit to that if it was me……but then, I always found K9 to be on a par with Scrappy Do…….really annoying LOL….

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
I’m going to be building two (unrelated) models for this group build, both 1:72 scale aircraft:

View attachment 469056

One I’ve been wanting to build for a while, the other came to me as I was thinking about the subject of this group build. Anyone care to guess what they will be? The paint is a clue for one of the two :smiling3:
TC's helicopter from 'Magnum PI' ?

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
This will be my contribution, couldn't decide between Thunderbirds and this from Space 1999 I've wanted to build an Eagle for quite a while now.
Cool. I know very little about Space 1999 (I don‘t think it was ever shown on Dutch or Belgian TV) but the Eagle always looked cool enough to me :smiling3:

This will be my contribution it even has the option for a clear body shell
OTOH, I did watch Airwolf in the late 80s, though it was just another show to me … I had a friend at the time who was almost a fanboy for it, though.

TC's helicopter from 'Magnum PI' ?
Damn, someone got that on the first try :smiling3: I always thought TC was the best of Magnum’s sidekicks, largely because he had a cool helicopter. Thinking about the group build, I suddenly decided what I really need to do is some intricate masking ;)

It's down to these two..........still haven't got my self to the point of doing a resin kit of this magnitude
Ooh, U96 would be nice — at least, I assume you would build it as that variant? But a 77 cm long resin kit does seem a bit daunting. That X-Wing looks cool too, and I’m kind of wondering how well-made and -detailed it is.

I'm going to turn Tamiyas Lotus Super 7 into this. Should be easy enough as it's mostly a paint job and a reg number.
Ah, so that’s what the sprue with letters and numbers is for :smiling3: Not that the photo gives me any clues what it’s from …

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The clues to Karl’s are as follows Jakko….
I am not a number, I’m a free man…….
Portmerion………
Dem bones, dem bones, dem…..dry bones…..
Very large balloons…..

If I was him I’d be very tempted to make it up as KARL 120C though…..

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
If I was him I’d be very tempted to make it up as KARL 120C though…..
KAR1 20C maybe.......
There were two version of this car, the one from the opening credits, and then they had to recreate it for the final scenes. Eagle eyed people will spot a lack of plate on one with the reg number directly mounted to the grill, which looks kewl so will be my approach.
Have found a 1/24 resin figure of Number 6, but he's a bit pricey.

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony

View attachment 469056

Is the gnat for Topper Harleys aircraft from Hot Shots! ?