Movie/TV Show GB Chat Thread

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Very sorry to hear that Tim. Hope it doesn't last too long.

Andrew
Not been properly under control for at least twelve months Andrew. It’s degraded my muscle tone to the point that I sometimes struggle to do normal activities. On a new treatment regime now though, so here’s hoping…..takes four months to be effective though…

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I was just about to start my build for this G.B.
It was going to be 'Kelly's Heros', Oddball emerging from the railway tunnel in his Sherman.
Alas, the kit I have has a cast hull. Oddball's had a welded construction.

Obviously, due to the high level of accuracy expected in this G.B., the Sherman I have is of no use.

I will try and source the correct one, but time will now be in short supply, so I'm sorry I might not be able to fulfill my commitment to this G.B.

Ron

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I was just about to start my build for this G.B.
It was going to be 'Kelly's Heros', Oddball emerging from the railway tunnel in his Sherman.
Alas, the kit I have has a cast hull. Oddball's had a welded construction.

Obviously, due to the high level of accuracy expected in this G.B., the Sherman I have is of no use.

I will try and source the correct one, but time will now be in short supply, so I'm sorry I might not be able to fulfill my commitment to this G.B.

Ron
Hey Ron,
I know jack about Shermans,(apart from that the Firefly had a bloody great gun!! ;) ), but,I do have this ....
IMG20230409101439.jpg
Just had a peak, and it looks to have rudimentary weld seams on it.Only problem is, I've cut off about an inch of one of the rubber band tracks which I used on a previous build.
However,if you could adapt the kit to suit your needs, then you're welcome to it mate, gratis :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Cool :smiling3: That was one of the things I had in mind to do myself for this GB, but decided against it because I would probably spend six months making it …

You could always start it as part of the group build, and if you don’t finish it in time, well, it’s not like that’s the end of the world …

To help you find the right kit: Oddball’s tank was a late-model M4A3 (with the large driver’s hatches, not the smaller ones that project in front of the glacis plate), the “vision cupola” for the commander (that is, the one-piece hatch with vision blocks around it) and a 76 mm gun in place of the 75 mm. Though in the movie he says they put a tube over it to make it look like a 90 mm, it’s really just a standard 76 mm in the 75 mm turret.

The one Andy offers would be suitable, minus the rocket launcher of course, though it doesn’t come with the right cupola or gun.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Apologies for the 'bone' question, but is there a gallery where we can post pics of the completed builds, so they all end up in one place and not scattered across the forum ?

if so could somebody graciously post a link to it here...thx

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Apologies for the 'bone' question, but is there a gallery where we can post pics of the completed builds, so they all end up in one place and not scattered across the forum ?

if so could somebody graciously post a link to it here...thx
Try here for figures Chris, others would go in their relevant subject forums.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The usual thing to do with group builds is put the finished photos in a new thread in the relevant “normal” section of the forum, like the one Tim linked to above for figures.

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
The usual thing to do with group builds is put the finished photos in a new thread in the relevant “normal” section of the forum, like the one Tim linked to above for figures.
Done it...thanks guys

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the very kind and generous offer Andy. Much appreciated, but I will have to decline.

I implied I would be out of my depth if I went with Oddball's Sherman and judging by what is expected to make the thing Oddball's, I would be on a hiding to nothing. I am not capable of such a high standard of accuracy. So........

Here's what I am doing. Nice and straight forward and will hopefully keep me on safe ground.

The film 'Reach for the Sky'
The subject. Douglas Bader's chopped in half Spitfire.

P1360179.JPG

I will start the thread in the next few days.

Ron