My layout in the making

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well the 3ft side is done apart from some more screws that i need to put in to hold the boards down,i've un-soldered the track ends on the other boards so i can connect new track up.

I should have the left side completed sometime tuesday or wednesday and then i can lay some track down on the lower level,i also need to buy two sheets of 3mm ply for the upper level as i only got enough for the other parts of the layout apart from the station area so i need some for there but i will get that in 2 weeks when i get paid.

I will have some piccys of the layout tomorrow as i am completely knackered from working hard on the layout since yesterday,i've changed the framework slightly to give me an extra 6" to make it 2ft x 2ft 6" on the right side of the layout.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Been busy busy busy building the last two baseboard framework over the weekend and today i still have the ply sheeting to go on the last one and to make the 4ftx5" baseboard to connect to the 6x4 baseboard.

But anyway heres some new pics of my work on the layout.

First photos are of the framework for the baseboard over the hatch way.

new16.jpg

new13.jpg

new15.jpg

And the top of the framework

new12.jpg

new11.jpg

new6.jpg

new5.jpg

And heres the framework for the other baseboard

new7.jpg

new8.jpg

new9.jpg

new10.jpg

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Thanks for the update steven I do enjoy reading this thread :music_too

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well the last of the boards have been cut and put in place but not all screwed down yet but will be done tomorrow,also i couldn't wait so i layed some track down so i could run my class 56 all round the layout and i can't wait to lay all the track down and start running trains properly.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i thought i should check to see what track is needed for the rest of the layout by checking on my Hornby HVR2 program and i think it will be the points i need to get more of and maybe some long straights,but i will know tomorrow when i check as i lost the list i did the first time of what track i had for the layout.But not sure when i will beable to get them with christmas coming.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Checked what track i got and not to bad really only need 12 points 6 L/H and 6 R/H and 3 R.608,i'll proberly get 6 points when i get paid and the rest after christmas.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I bought 5 sheets of 6mm ply 4x2 for the rest of the upper level as i extended it to 20ft 9" so more ply was needed i was going to try and work on my layout today,but with it being so cold here my energy has been zapped from me and have pains in my arms aswell so i am stuck down stairs on my laptop to play games and watch DVD and search the net on my laptop.

But i am gonna try and get some work done this week as i want to beable to run train properly before christmas day comes.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Got some work done due my energy level back up so today i cut the 5mm of both legs that needed cutting also screwed down the boards i hadn't done,but i still need to cut 2 smaller pieces where there is a gap in the boards.

Tomorrow i hope to have part of the roof done and i am going town tomorrow to buy my brown blocks i need for the supports for the upper level as i ran out.Track laying should start thusday or wednesday depending how i get on tomorrow.

I

ironhorse1965

What kind of track switches are you going to use?(manual or electric).What set up do you have for uncouppling?Looks great!!!

James

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I am using peco point motors and switches,and for uncoupling i will be using the hornby uncoupling track they make which i need more as i only have two.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well the roof never got started but i did get my brown blocks for the upper level but at the weekend i have to sort my bedroom out and build and fit the hatch door before my mum goes into hospital for an op on monday,so little work will be done on the layout at the weekend unless i can get both done on the saturday and leave all sunday for the layout.

Last edited by a moderator:

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well it has come to it i will have to buy afew lengths of peco flexi track for the layout which will be used in the storage sidings under the station but i ain't sure how many till i start to lay track out on the layout,and i will remove the two bricks on the other wall so i can have the upper tracks straighter than to curve around the wall.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Not posted for awhile now because my mum had her Op two weeks ago and is home and is recovering great so my layout has been put on hold as i am doing the house work for my mum while she recovers from here Op,and i am looking after her while my dad is at work also i have removed all unpinned track on the layout and it has been pack away into a box and put in my bedroom till have christmas.

I hope to restart work on the layout after the new year with the same track plan or a completely new one but not sure yet what i will do but it will still have 4 tracks 2 lower and 2 upper,i also hope to buy some new things for the layout now i have finished paying for my laptop.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Right i am keeping the same track plan but changing the station are to something i like in one of model train books and here a pic of what i want to have there.

half.jpg

i'll be using most of that track plan except the curves on the right as that will be straight track plus the station will be longer towards the right aswell.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i have ordered my box of flexi track now with a peco cat from hattons and i have also ordered the new honrby book from play.com and i should recieve them maybe tuesday.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Also i am getting some free seep point motors from a good friend that he nolonger needs and have been posted today and i should receive them tomorrow morning with my other parcels.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I have recieved a email to say my book has been posted so i'll get that tomorrow,but still haven't recieved a email from hattons to say that my track and cat have been packed and posted so i might get an email in the morning so i will check again in the morning.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well my seep point motors arrived this morning from a very good friend from another forum and i have 35 seep point motors that i got for free, and i am very grateful to him for letting me have them for free.

I am just waiting for my track to arrive from hattons which i ordered saturday and i am still waiting for that email to say they have been packed and posted which i still haven't recieved yet.Plus my book hasn't come either from play.com.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Been getting more ideas for my layout again as i been thinking how will i get the trains back down to the main level from upper level and with what other things i want to do and it didn't leave much room for a good incline down,and then i thought if i remove the smaller brock ontop off the bigger one that will let me carry the upper baseboard straight across and not have to cut around the brick.

So with that sorted i can run a twin track incline back down under the station down to the lower level and back to the lower main tracks,i have that many ideas for my layout i can't draw them out to show you as i am no good at it so you will all have to wait till i start working on the layout again to see my idea.

As that bit has been bugging me for months on how to get around it so i can now rest.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i received my track and peco cat at 2:30pm so i will be back to working on the layout tomorrow yippee, and i will be getting my next order ready tobe sent on Saturday to get more goodies for my layout.