My layout in the making

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Right on another forum a member joined and said he was starting with the hornby track mat and the grand terminus station,it gave me an idea to try it on the hornby HVR2 program but slightly change the way it connects together so heres the track plan i did on the hornby HVR2 program.

The track mat has been extended to 8ft and the station to 10ft tell me what you guys think of it.Also the square gap on one end is where the small town would go.

modularlayout.jpg

N

Nigel.D

It looks amazing. But im afraid the domestic authorities would have my spheroids if i occupied that much room (dont i wish) lol

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
It will only occupy that much space when i use it but when not in use it will be packed away in a spare wardrobe and on top on my other desk that i have in my bedroom as thats where i will be using it.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Here's another track plan i did today its in 6 sections tell me what you think of it,the black round circle is the turntable.

modularlayout4.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
As soon as i start the construction of this smaller layout i will start another thread for it so each layout has a thread of it's own.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well i have decided to go with the last track plan i did as i can extend it in two ways also i have added a siding for my crane and i have added the off tracks for the turntable.I'll properly add more as i start to build it.

modularlayout6.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Been having a think about having this other layout in our loft now as it is 6ft x 20ft it has lighting already fitted by me and my dad but no electric sockets and it is partly boarded up but needs finishing off,but needs clearing out as we are using it to store all our junk and stuff.

If i did use the whole of the loft i would have to have the benchwork like this.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/dynamite26/Bigenoughlayout.jpg

but i ain't sure what am doing yet

Last edited by a moderator:

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Done me thinking so shed is out and my main layout will be put into the loft and made longer so it will fill the 6x20 space,and will look like this http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v687/dynamite26/Bigenoughlayout2.jpg

As i will use both 6x4 baseboards as i did in the bedroom and the 6x3 and use what timber i bought to make up the other baseboards need to expand the layout to 20ft.And i won't be building the smaller layout now either.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I have got half the loft sorted out but took 5 hrs to do though,now i just need to do the other half then the layout sections can be moved up there and re-erected then i need to knock up some more baseboards then the track laying can continue.And then the trains can start running again.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I doubled posted so i put this in it's place.

Well i had to buy a 15m 4socket 13A extension cable to plug into my bedroom as we only got lights in the loft and no plug sockets,as we couldn't afford to have them fitted might do sometime in the near future if we have the money to have some fitted.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Got the other side of the loft done yesterday with my mums help started at 12:30pm and finished at 17:30pm and i am really tired now but at least it's been done now,i am gonna board the sides of the loft hopefully at the weekend so it will be dust free also i need to finish boarding the roof up.

Were having sky lights fitted hopefully after christmas if we can find someone that won't charge to much to fit them.

Well stuff thats staying in the loft has been moved out of the way so i can board the end up and stick curtins along the side so we can still get stuff from the sides of the loft,and then i can move the sections up for that end of the loft then move all the stuff back over so i can do the other side.Once thats done all the stuff needs to be put under the layout so it's out of the way,so hopefully by next weekend i should be running trains thats if i get the other baseboards made up and in place to lay track on.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
I've extended the baseboard on the trackplan at the incline end of the layout to 6ft 4" so that the upperlevel tracks are't directly above the lower tracks but they are where the curve track is at the brick wall of the loft,i might extend the other end to 6ft 4" but we will see.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well the end sections of the layout went up today instead as it was raining today as i couldn't cut the boards for the end of the loft so i decided to put them up there today,but i will get that end board before i start the other baseboards and put the 6x3 baseboard up there.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Right heres some updated trackplans the first one shows all the lower tracks with a 1/4 of the upper tracks.

And the second one with all the upper tracks which are the outer tracks with station on the bottom right of the trackplan and shows part of the lower level.

On the last trackplan there is a difference wth the lower tracks on the bottom left thats because i have a track plan saved as the lower level and one for the upper level and that i only just noticed the difference in them.

View attachment 13252

View attachment 13253

New trackplan1.JPG

New trackplan.JPG

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well the 6x3 is in the loft at last and screwed to the 6x4 had to lift up one side by 12mm as the loft floor is level but my sisters bedroom wasn't level,also had to screw a piece of wood between the layout and roof beam to stop the layout from moving.

I've had my class 56 running around what track is pinned down from when the layout was in my sisters bedroom,i switched the loft lights off to see what the loco is like with the lights on the class 56 and it looks great i will try and get some photos tomorrow morning or the afternoon.I also can't find my track rubber so i will have to buy two more next weekend but i will still keep looking for it.

Hopefully should have one side of the layout done as i will connect the 4ftx2ft6" to the other 6x3 but make only it 2ft wide as the other side will be 2ft wide and leaves me 2ft in the middle to move around in,and then i only need to make a baseboard between that and the 6x3 one then side is done then i will have only the other side to do.

Also the layout will be an extra 9 inches longer as the loft is 21 ft but because one end is slightly boarded up only leaves about 20ft 9" which isn't bad,i wish there wasn't anything under the layout so i could get under there to do the electrics but i can't move the stuff out of the loft so when it comes to do the electrics i will just after to move the stuff around the loft then move it back once the electrics are done.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Right been up in the loft couldn't take the other board up as it wouldn't fit in either side of the small wall so thats back in the bedroom till tomorrow and used somewhere else for the layout.

Right took some photos with my webcam not to good but see-able i will try and get my brother digicam back tomorrow for some better photos.

First one is of the far end of the loft.

Nov07_02.jpg

Second is of the other end where there more room to sit down.

Nov07_14.jpg

Nov07_13.jpg

These are of the 6x3 section which are just the same as when it was in my sister bedroom.

Nov07_05.jpg

Nov07_06.jpg

Nov07_07.jpg

These next photos are just of the wall and brick i removed and my power supply to the loft and the hatch opening to the loft.

Nov07_08.jpg

Nov07_10.jpg

Nov07_11.jpg

Nov07_12.jpg

Also just found that my layout is not level as when it was in my sisters room i have to make the legs to the floor in the bedroom so one end is 818mm high,the 6x3 is at 833mm high and the far end is 825mm high so i need to either cut the legs so it's level or fit adjustable feet to the legs.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Been again in the loft to take some better pics with my brothers digicam as he dropped it off today and i was going to do some more work but didn't,i will get one side done tomorrow once i have sorted a leg on the middle section of the layout.

So here there are and the black areas are there as the loft is not that tidy as there is allsorts on show and makes the loft look really messy.

loftlayoutendend.jpg

loftlayoutend.jpg

loftlayoutmiddlesection.jpg

loftlayoutotherend.jpg

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Well you know when you say oh i'm going to do this and that of the layout but when the day comes nothng gets done as something else had to be done instead well that happened today as my brother had a parcel delivered this morning so i had to stay downstairs for that,and then my mum had to go town from work so by time she got back it was 2:30pm so i did all the measuring for all the frame work for the layout and started to strip the other baseboard to make 2ft wide.

So now i will start the frame work tomorrow and i also decided to have the back baseboard 2ft wide instead of 1ft 9" which still gives me 1ft 5" in the middle to walk down between each 2ft square wells at either end of the layout.

dynamite25

Mad Modeller at large
First Name
steven
Heres an update i got two of the back baseboards built and in place but i need to remove some wood of the top of the legs so the other baseboard butts right up to the first one as that one was made for the layout when it was in the spare bedroom but now cut down to 2ft wide.

Newbaseboard1.jpg

Newbaseboard2.jpg

Newbaseboard3.jpg