My little stocking filler - Revell Micro-wings Stuka!

B

Bubba

I know it's only a £1.50 model kit, but if you're going to build it, then you might as well have a half-decent stab at it! :thumbs-up:

Last edited:
C

CDW

Thats a decent stab ?????

Thats a top quality job considering the size Bob .... I've done a couple of planes since i've returned to the hobby .... a 1/32 scale nightmare, a couple or three 1/72 scale semi-nightmares and a 1/72 scale jobbie that ended up half revell kit and half toothbrush handle (see the "what if" group build) .. still a nightmare.

My hat is off to you sir :smiling3:

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That is cracking Bob, the paint job must have tested your skills.

Nicely done mate.

Tony.

B

Bubba

I like this forum. It truly is "the friendly forum".

Thanks guys. :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one. I have only ever built two aircraft in that scale. It's a challenge painting them isn't it!

You made a good job of it!

Ian M

M

mobear

personally i think you are mad,its that small but beautifully made,its a cracker,i still think you are mad for doing it.i would`ve had a headache with something so small :clap3::rofl:

mobear

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice job bob ,lovely paintwork. Theres a certain satisfaction in doing these little tiddlers isnt there? If youve got the bug i'd recommend having a go at one of the Sweet kits , although theyre about 4 times the price of the revell micro wings (about £10) theyre so much better detailed and you get 2 complete kits in each boxing plus several choices of marking on the excellent decal sheet, cheers tony

S

Saber

small is lovely very nice :smiling3:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

B

Bubba

\ said:
Nice job bob ,lovely paintwork. Theres a certain satisfaction in doing these little tiddlers isnt there? If youve got the bug i'd recommend having a go at one of the Sweet kits , although theyre about 4 times the price of the revell micro wings (about £10) theyre so much better detailed and you get 2 complete kits in each boxing plus several choices of marking on the excellent decal sheet, cheers tony
Thanks Tony. :D Yes, I really enjoyed doing this one - so cute! I did the paint scheme from the Airfix 1:48 Tropical (Libya) rather than the plain sand-coloured one suggested in the Revell booklet. The time-frame and location are the same, but the decal codes probably aren't quite right. In any case, who cares that much if the paintwork looks nice? :smiling5: It wasn't just the painting I enjoyed, either. I opened out the lower engine cowling front and back and made an inset chin radiator, plus I made two little chaps to sit in the cockpit seeing as it's going to be displayed as a "flier". The cowling's too thick to see them though, and I could have painted the framing a little finer. Might have another go at that!

Thanks, everybody, very encouraging. :D

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Hehe, it's awesome! No storage issues after the build either.

B

Bubba

\ said:
Hehe, it's awesome! No storage issues after the build either.
LOL. I'm doing a 1:24 scale one next. I don't know where I'll put that!

T

treyzx10r

\ said:
LOL. I'm doing a 1:24 scale one next. I don't know where I'll put that!
Wow from one extreme to the other! Bob thats a great looking Stuka,and the canopy paint job must have been a major pita!

B

Bubba

\ said:
Wow from one extreme to the other! Bob thats a great looking Stuka,and the canopy paint job must have been a major pita!
Cheers, Trey. :smiling3:

Speaking of the canopy, I'm unhappy with it:mad:. The plastic is really thick and poorly-moulded, and doesn't really fit well. Add to this the fact it had a lengthwise crack down half its length (due to really crappy delivery packaging allowing the box to be flattened), plus a cloudy spot (presumably due to the same reason) and you're left with a bit of a disaster area. I know I can paint the canopy much more finely, too. So I've taken the canopy off, filled the inside with milliput and stuck a small screwdriver into it. I'm going to try to plunge-form a plastic canopy. I've never attempted this before, but I'm going to have a go. :smiling3:

While I'm at it, I'm going to carve some shape detail on the canopy. Wish me luck!:banana:

C

Cooperman69

Great little build, got me thinking about getting one myself now.

Never built this scale before so any recommendations on what's good, bad or ugly when it comes to what kits are out there?

Also how do you go about plunge forming a canopy?

Atb, Colin.

B

Bubba

\ said:
Great little build, got me thinking about getting one myself now. Never built this scale before so any recommendations on what's good, bad or ugly when it comes to what kits are out there?

Also how do you go about plunge forming a canopy?

Atb, Colin.
As Tony says, the Sweet kits look beautiful, but I'm not sure which is the best supplier. Euro Models do them for £16.00 for a double kit and five sets of decals. Very limited in the number of plane types as well, so far. There seems to be lots of other 1:144 manufacturers, but I'm not sure what they're like. :D

As far as this kit goes, there were good and bad points. The fit was generally good, canopy was rubbish, some detail needed to be added and the undercarriage was moulded too thin, with sink marks in the wheel spats. But I find that half the fun is in correcting and improving a kit that has limitations. :D

As for plunge-moulding, well I'll let you know! I've looked at youtube videos and a couple of threads on here and the principle looks easy in theory. As far as I can tell, you need your original canopy (or replacement made of milliput or similar) mounted on a rod; a die to hold the plastic sheet with a hole the right shape and size to push the hot plastic through, some pop-bottle plastic and something to heat it up with.

That's the theory. :smiling5: