My Panzerhaubitze 2000

R

Richy C

To mix things up a bit for a few members ( I`m with you Patrick ) I thought I would add a few photo`s of some stuff I`m building for a future dio , 1st time doing everything here boys so a big learning curve , one thing with tyres (on the quad) I`ve done them in vallejo german grey then dry brush them in a lighter grey and must say they have come out the nuts , also doing the chassis it looked ok then covered it with dry mud and light dust MIG pigments , not going mad with the cab - coat of Klear then decals and a light mig wash then another klear , then a coat of vallejo matt and a bit of dry brushing with pigments,

with the matilda being a MK2 - colour scheme is basic so hope to follow the Qaud colour and weathering system apart from the tracks , its had a primer and 2 light coats of vallejo air sand yellow , never made a Tank before so wish me luck

any advice is much appreciated

Richy

View attachment 14207View attachment 14209View attachment 14210View attachment 14208

View attachment 22747

View attachment 22748

View attachment 22749

View attachment 22750

IMG_2948..jpg

IMG_2951..jpg

IMG_2944..jpg

IMG_2949..jpg

D

dubster72

The Quad looks good Richy & you do have the tyres looking just right-I'm glad you didn't try to paint them black! I know I tried that once & it was horrible!

The Matilda looks a nice clean build so I'm sure that will turn out well. Maybe we'll see both of them in a little dio?? ;)

Keep up the good work sir!

Patrick

D

dubster72

That's a lovely little kit Dave & full marks for going after something different. You've got the hang of the PE thing & I once spent 20 minutes looking for a missing part only to find it under my wrist-damn superglue!

Patrick

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Can't wait to the Quad done Richy, got the makings of a great dio mate.

Have fun, John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Richy, first I want to apologies for missing your F1 and bike, I simply didn't see it, sorry.

With so many posts being on the 190 build at the minute, it's hard to spot anything else that creeps in!!lol

Patrick makes a good point re. tyres, never black!

I look forward to the next installment, I won't miss it, honest....

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Yep those tyres are looking good. I have a quad in the stash, so I will be watching this one for tips!

Matilda II... So no camo masking night mares for you then!!! Nice little tank though in it!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice build!

Was close to buying one my self, but brought the Sherman insted. Is it me or has Tamiya also released the staghound? swear I saw on on e-models t'other day.

Ian M

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fab looking build dave, cant wait to see it in the camo. The photo etch really makes a difference, although as patrick says its easy to lose bits, i once spent ages looking for a tiny piece only to find it a day later stuck to my jumper!! cheers tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What a cracking little build Dave, the vast amount of detail is amazing for a relatively small kit and a good job you have done on it too.

I doubt you will, but If you need any advise / help with the diorama, shout up. As you know, there are loads of people on here who will give you all the help and encouragement you need.

Good luck with it and keep us posted.

Ron

D

dd2356

I may well do that Ron. Thanks.

The plan is to have the Staghound on a dirt track besides a damaged wall, with the Infantry around it. I have the wall, bricks and some propaganda posters, but might need some more inspriation. Apparently the Staghound was a little to big for small streets in the operation in Caen, so i'm keeping it a bit more rural.

I'm sure it'll develop itself as it goes.

Dave

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Yes, you are right, I start with the basic idea (obviously!) but it's only when the build starts that all sorts of variations and ideas spring to mind.

Then, as you rightly say these can be built in as you go.

Good luck.

Ron

N

noble

Very nice indeed so far Dave and unusual as well don't think anyones done one of these so far, it would be nice in a dio when it's done.

scott

C

Cov1

Interesting kit and a nice build, that ticks all my boxes.

Ade

D

dd2356

Update

The paint is on now, had a coatof Klear, added the decals, and then Klear'd again. I've added a whippy aerial in place of the stubby one supplied in the kit.

The auxillery fuel tanks on the side, have straps that look to be leather (unless you know differently) so they'll be painted accordingly. Still not sure what to put in the rear stowage box. Seems like an odd place for an open box, especially betwwen the mufflers!!

So i'll just eait for the matt laquer to go off, and then i can start weathering etc.

View attachment 22809

View attachment 22810

View attachment 22811

View attachment 22812

View attachment 22813

stag painted aux .jpg

stag painted fro&#11.jpg

stag painted sid&#10.jpg

stag painted rea&#114.jpg

stag painted ven&#11.jpg

D

dd2356

Disaster!!!

I began to add some shading to the Staghound. I diluted Model Color black grey with water, the same as always. As it was drying, it started to look a bit grey (maybe there was a clue in the colour on the bottle black GREY?) The left side made it look like the Stag had been captured by the Germans, and they had began to repaint it!! So i decided to use thinned matt black enamel. I must have rushed a bit, because that seemed to react and left lots of white patches. Oh dear!!

Normally at this point i would just say 'F......oh well' and slap a load of mud on in the hope of covering it up. But i decided to repaint it. Luckily, i managed to mask the area where the decals were, and give the rest a fairly light dusting with the original mid-green. It looks ok again......phew!!

I've painted the rucksacks etc in a matt tan. They are practically screaming at me where they are so bright. Can't wait for them to dry so that i can add some shading to them.

M

mikef350

Hi all

Just finished my second model (itealeri scania) but iam not very happy with it,i found it a bit hard.Any way my next one is a tamiya 1/35 challenger 1 (mk3) the thing is iam confident with putting them together but its the painting of them i am s**t scared of :sobbing:

so here is the begining of my challenger,i dont no if i should fix the wheels first then spray them or would it be better practise to spray the chassis and wheels seperate then glue the wheels on?

Theese are resin us snipers in there hillie suits,they stil have a long way to go.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Without a doubt I would do the wheels separate from the body 'cos it would be very difficult to A paint behind the wheels if fixed first and B although I know nothing about the Challenger I would think it has rubber 'wheels' so again these would be difficult to paint after.

I would advise painting all the other 'bits' first whilst still on the sprues, saves the fingers!

This is just my way of doing it, other people might have a different approach....bet we soon find out!

Main thing is take your time and have fun...

Ron

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I'm not an armour builder but I'd definitely second whst Ron said. Jeez that's a lot of wheels,most things I build only have three.

Cheers

Steve

D

dubster72

I'll second (or is it 3rd?!) what the guys have said Mike & definitely paint the chassis first. Personally, I take roadwheels off the sprue to paint them, mainly because they always have a mould seam that runs around the edge. It's small but by the time you weather the wheels, you'll see this line clearly and it looks 'orrible!

If you do decide to remove them from the sprues, you can use double-sided tape to stick them to a piece of stiff cardboard & spray them quickly & easily. Then pop them onto toothpicks to paint the tyres.

Patrick

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Mike,

I'd certainly paint the wheels separately. I think you'd have nightmares trying to paint the tyres when they're on the kit - it's bad enough when you can hold them where and how you like!

However, and more importantly, are you sure about those figures? I'm only askin' 'cos Ron lost a bucket from one of his dioramas not so long ago and we all reckon it was Yetis what nicked it!

Gern