My Panzerhaubitze 2000

B

backonthecase

Mike, good luck with the tank, I've always fancied picking up either one of them or an Abrams. I would agree with painting the wheels seperate!

These snipers look smart! what manufacturer are they?

Stuart

M

mikef350

\ said:
Mike, good luck with the tank, I've always fancied picking up either one of them or an Abrams. I would agree with painting the wheels seperate! These snipers look smart! what manufacturer are they?

Stuart
Hi staurt

The snipers are from plus model,i spotted them on evil bay one day.And thanks for the help guys i realy want to be able to weather the tank but after lots of research i think its beyond my capabilitys,specialt without a airbrush

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
Hi staurtThe snipers are from plus model,i spotted them on evil bay one day.And thanks for the help guys i realy want to be able to weather the tank but after lots of research i think its beyond my capabilitys,specialt without a airbrush
Don't give up Mike, I don't use an airbrush and I'm reasonably happy with the weathering I obtain with a brush.

Why not have a practice on bits of things lying around first to get a feel for the technique. I suspect you have been looking at, and reading about too many examples of near perfect weathering. Remember, these people have been doing it for years, so they should be good at it!

Reading these things is, as you have found, the quickest way of loosing confidence there can be. Leave them alone for now, hands on is the way to go.

Everyone starts from last position on the grid but the only way to move up the field, as in anything, is to have a go and practice, practice....

So, my advise is make your model, any model. Have a go at weathering and post the result for us to see. We can then all give our help and opinion, and you know it will be friendly, constructive advise. This is the only way to improve.

So come on, no negative waves!!

Cheers,

Ron

M

mikef350

cheers ron!thats exactly what i have done,i have seen way too many superb models and put my self off

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
cheers ron!thats exactly what i have done,i have seen way too many superb models and put my self off
So,wot ya gonna do my mate?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Well done Mike, it seems my little 'Lecture' worked then! lol

Ron

B

backonthecase

Sorry to hear about the painting mishap! Sounds like you've got it under control though. Bit of a strange one, enamel reacting with a Klear coat... what did you thin it with?

Stuart

C

chrisonord

here is some pictures of a build I started in November last year, and recently decided to finish. The build is half scratch build half kit bash, as part of it is a 1/72nd scale M-60 tank.

Cheers,

Chris.

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
An excellent model - fabulous scratch build skills

Top man!

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

Great bit of scratchbuilding to make a pretty normal tank into something very special. Scratchbuilding really does get the imagination going and the creative juices.

L

liebherr112fan

great first build, nice to see the grease affect too,

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Mornin' all.

Some of you will remember that Ron and Ian 'persuaded' me to buy the Hobby Boss 1/16 Tiger 1 at Cosford. Once I'd succumbed to their gentle persuasion, Ron went on to say he wouldn't mind seeing how it looked when built. I couldn't resist his big, soulful eyes and mournful expression so I've made a start.

The overall detail is very basic as this is a cheap static version of an earlier R/C kit. I'm quite happy with that so this will mostly be an oob build although I might replace the plastic cables with something better.

Most parts have some flash but there's been no problems cleaning them up so far. There are LOADS of ejector pin marks but fortunately a lot don't have to be filled as they're not visible. Unfortunately though, eight of the wheels have eight marks each and all of the track links have four marks each. The wheels were easy but the track links are taking forever. Each hole has to be filled and sanded and then some flash has to be removed from each link. They only take two or three minutes each - but there's 192 of the little b*****s so that's a couple of days work! The pictures show I've done enough links for one of the tracks so I'm half way through.

I have hit one major snag though and could do with some help. If you look at the pictures of the turret, you can see that there are HUGE gaps behind the front gun shield which allow you to see inside the turret when the gun is raised or lowered. I haven't been able to find any pictures of what should be behind the shield. Can anyone provide pictures or suggest the best way to fill these gaps please?

Gern

View attachment 63915

View attachment 63916

View attachment 63917

View attachment 63918

View attachment 63919

Suspension.jpg

Tracks 1.jpg

Turret 1.jpg

Turret 2.jpg

Wheels 1.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Dave

About the turret gap. It looks as though you're missing the turret frontal armour completely. Are you sure there are no more parts? If not simple plastic card should fill that just fine. The site I directed you to has a break down of how the frontal armour is fitted on the real vehicle (essentially just 2 bars of armour fitted top and bottom of the front of the turret).

You're right about the origin of the kit - it's definitely not the Tamiya moulds. Looks crisp though, even if the ejection pin marks are a pain.

Looks like a mid Tiger 1 version judging by the wheels and cupola. Have you decided on a scheme? There are a few mid machines in 101st Sch Abt in Normandy - 3rd company I think. Anyway, there's plenty of time to think about that whilst you're fixing the wheels and tracks!

I've the Tamiya RC Panther in the stash which is seriously calling out to me. Going to develop that into an early G machine, again from Normandy. I've procured all the bits I need just need the time now!

Anyhoo, best of luck with the build, I will be following this and if you need any help with research give me a shout I've got stacks of info.

Cheers

P

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks. Bit more progress with this.

I finally got all the track links filled, sanded and primed. I started painting today using Vallejo Model Air 072 Gungrey. This is a metallic finish which may turn out to be too light - I may have to use a darker grey.

However, when spraying I noticed a problem. I gave the paint a really, really good shake as I know this is needed for metallics. I mixed it with Vallejo thinner at about 60 : 40 Paint : Thinner and added just a couple of drops of Liquitex retarder. When everything was gently stirred in the cup of my A/B I blocked the nozzle with some tissue and sprayed gently back into the cup to help mix the paint even more. Everything went well for about 5 minutes and I got an excellent finish with complete coverage in one coat. Then my A/B stopped spraying. I noticed that the paint had thickened quite considerably - it was so thick that it would not pour out of the cup. Obviously no use continuing so I gave the brush a really good clean and started again.

Thinking that maybe the Liquitex had somehow reacted with the Vallejo products, I only used the Vallejo paint and thinner in about the same ratio as before and started spraying again. No good. After 5 minutes or so the paint had thickened again to the point where the A/B would not spray. Any ideas what's going wrong?

In the meantime, I've started measuring the gap in the turret front ready to cut some plasticard to fill the gap. I've got a strip of paper which looks about right for the top, just need to check the fit before cutting and gluing the card. If that works, I'll repeat for the bottom.

I've also got to work out how to hold the gun barrel in the centre of the tube that comes out from the turret. The barrel is designed to slide in from the front and be held in a hole in the plate at the back of the 'breech' with a steel pin inserted to stop it sliding out again. The hole at the back and the steel pin fit so loosely that the gun barrel can be moved up and down without moving the mantle. I think I'm going to have to add some putty inside the 'breech' to hold it in place.

Gern

PS Notice my hi-tech holder for the parts I'm spraying. A little fiddling about with the number of links to get a firm fit on the cardboard tube enabled me to paint both the inside and outside of the track links.

View attachment 64187

View attachment 64188

View attachment 64189

View attachment 64190

Painting Tracks1.jpg

Painting Tracks2.jpg

Painting Tracks3.jpg

Turret gap.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Dave this thing is going to be a Monster! The tracks are looking great,keep it comin'!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Coming along nicely Dave.

Looking forward to seeing more.

Tony.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Dave, nice to see my 'suggested purchase' taking shape.....It seems to be giving you a run for your money mind!

I'm sure you will nail it mate, just take you time and keep smiling.......

Ron