New Member from Sussex

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
Hi all .
Just got back into modeling , not something i've done since i was a kid but am enjoying getting into this hobby after so many years .Things have certainly moved on from just the small tins of enamel paint that i remember ! Im learning to spray paint and have also almost completed my first diorama .. a huge learning curve there and made plenty of mistakes but it's all good for future ones .. Btw .. attempting a waterfall was probably a mistake as it took a week to even get something half sensible let alone good lol .

Anyways .. just on the off chance any of you are running around in a Porsche then feel free to message me with any issues .. Advise i can give but Not actual work ... im a porsche mechanic working for an Independant and often give advice but on another forum .

Iain.DSC_0180.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi all .
Just got back into modeling , not something i've done since i was a kid but am enjoying getting into this hobby after so many years .Things have certainly moved on from just the small tins of enamel paint that i remember ! Im learning to spray paint and have also almost completed my first diorama .. a huge learning curve there and made plenty of mistakes but it's all good for future ones .. Btw .. attempting a waterfall was probably a mistake as it took a week to even get something half sensible let alone good lol .

Anyways .. just on the off chance any of you are running around in a Porsche then feel free to message me with any issues .. Advise i can give but Not actual work ... im a porsche mechanic working for an Independant and often give advice but on another forum .

Iain.
Hello Iain and welcome! I'm afraid my Porsche is now but a distant memory - I'd still have it if the Police hadn't reclaimed it ... :rolling:
Steve

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Iain,
welcome to the forum, Sad to say my only Porsche experience is with the 1/24 Tamiya 911! - Although I did spend several weeks fitting a new engine to a Lamborghini & running it over a test circuit!!! Have to say it was a tractor, not a supercar!
We all make mistakes, the important thing is not to repeat them!
Dave

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome to the forum Iain. Great that you're enjoying the hobby.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Welcome Iain. Think you'll fit in well here .
No question is laughed at I do you have a problem. There is always someone able to help .

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
Thank you all for the comments and welcomes .. much appreciated i must say.

Porsche also made tractors !

Main reason for my Porsche comments .. i often meet people that have spent their life savings on one .. and it goes wrong .. i'm pleased to say i've helped many such people hence i added it here just in case .

Problems and mistakes .. a good way to learn i feel .. i've done 3 models so far , first was the cheap panzer kit from Tamiya .. i mistakenly tried to water down an enamel wash with acrylic thinners .. yeah .. that didn't go so well when i hand painted a panel with it , realised something was wrong and tried to wipe it off .. completely taking off the acrylic paint entirely .. sigh .

I also learned you need to seal a diorama base before using water .. it leaks out .. I looked at it the following morning and thought .. im sure i used more water than that .. picked it up and the dinner tray its on came with it .. yup .. stuck the 2 together lol .

Attached a pic of the first 2 i've made , i'm getting a little better but a long way to go yet .. but thats half of the fascination .. to improve , to develop a new skill .. excellent fun !

Anyways .. i don't think this is the right part of the forum to post images so as i progress i'll find the correct place .

Btw .. thanks for having me !2023-05-22 20.12.13.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome Iain

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
... and it's a warm welcome from me too...
.... I look forward to seeing you around the parish :smiling3:
( There's a Porsche next door to us..... What a spoilt little cow she is!! ;) )

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
When I worked a Euro-shop (I was Brit & Italian), the bay to my left was the Porsche/VW guy, then the Nordic, then the Benz & the bay to my right was the boss' where he did Ferraris and race prep on Porsches. Everybody worked the Beemers & Audis. Lots of fun & learned a lot.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
My only designs on a Porsche was an attempted trade in of my '68 Vette for a 1975 911 Carrera turbo and the cheap bastards wouldn't give me a fair trade in for their $30,000 over rated sub compact! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out2::tongue-out::tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy: Welcome to the nut house and no hard feelings........I have stuck with the Vette and my current '06 Z51 suits me just fine. :thumb2:

• Haha

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Welcome to the forum Iain. I like the look of your dio and waterfall. The waterfall especially gets my thumbs up.

Cheers,
Richard aka Wabble