First Name
Iain
I've just found the post

New Member? Start here!​

So the bits i missed
Smiling.png

Brighton UK
Age 58
Car Mechanic since 16 , last 20 years working on Porsche of all ages and costs.
member of a Car forum for Porsches with same user Name .

I've not modeled since i was 13 but prefer WW2 1/35 vehicles and Dioramas .. Both are very much at the learning stage lol .

Due to work i only really get a couple of hours of an evening but i don't rush things so no big deal .

Cheers rtfoe ... it went very wrong though .. i had clear water then added the foam .. this was too white so i tried to paint over it .. ended up looking like a giant icicle sigh .. over painted in turquoise to try and save it .

Once again .. thanks for all the comments .. i'm surprised at getting so many to be honest .. a rather active forum .. excellent !!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome Iain. A nice dio and for a first attempt that waterfall is the mutts do days.
As for Porsche help...what's the biggest Porsche engine you can get in a Carman ghia? Asking for a friend...

• Haha
Reactions: JR

De.Mort

SMF Supporter
First Name
Iain
Im guessing you mean the Karmann Ghia and not a Cayman :smiling: , that is a VW car with a VW engine as i understand it , but can be modified to have a 993 engine or perhaps an earlier variant such as the 964 .. i'm not sure the cost of such a mod would be worth it but over all a 993 engine could be made to fit .. you would need the engine control unit though , wiring loom ... probably engine mount alterations and depending on the box .. an adaptor plate .. 993 box and gear linkage would need to be modified .

A quick google came up with this .. https://engineswapdepot.com/?p=170

An interesting conversion .. but the cost .. hmm ..

I'm afraid i tend to work on standard cars but i do have contacts that can heavily modifiy them .. talking 800 bhp on some of the Turbo models .. but as the owners have stated .. great in a straight line on a track .. bit too much for road use .

Hence with every mod .. you need to decide what you want to use the car for .. a bigger engine .. more horsepower , also need chassis and brake upgrades .. after all .. we do need to stop lol .

bless you on the waterfall comments .. trust me when i say it went totally wrong and i was at that moment i guess we all have of scrapping the entire lot !

I salvaged it with some turquoise paint and more foam but the effect is too dramatic .. its too fast and furious .. not what i wanted ..

But to be fair .. i've never done this before .. i winged it after watching a few youtube videos .. and there ain't many that helped ...

So over all .. i'm pleased and i learnt so much doing it .. many mistakes = much learning for the next one !