First Name
Neal
Hello fellow model builders, I've been asked to introduce myself, as a kid I often glued model kits of any kind, tanks, planes, boats, you could see the glue everywhere, no painting , decals? can't remember, anyway I'm now 60 yrs aged and rediscovered the now therapeutic hobby of model building, my interest hasn't changed, still mostly WW2 stuff, planes, ships, I have what I think is a pretty good setup, now I paint, tools, sanding supplies etc,.. as of now I've built 6 models in the past 4 yrs or so. So, my first question to anyone interested in answering is this, when the directions say to add "weight ', what's your go to?, Thanks for a reply.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome to the best forum around Neal. I'm sure you'll enjoy your time here.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Neal. Sorry can't answer your question as I haven't yet made a model that needed weighting. But I know others have.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Neal. Welcome to the forum. When you say “add weight”, in what context do you mean? There are several ways of doing this, but it depends on what you are making…..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Welcome to the forum Neal. If you mean adding weight to the nose of an aircraft model to prevent it tail-sitting, the usual product is called Liquid Gravity. However someone on here put me onto the fine steel shot used to weight teddy bears, which is a lot cheaper. I've often wondered if the same stuff is used to weight those animal-shaped door stops. I usually use PVA to glue it in place.
Pete

First Name
Neal
Welcome to the forum Neal. If you mean adding weight to the nose of an aircraft model to prevent it tail-sitting, the usual product is called Liquid Gravity. However someone on here put me onto the fine steel shot used to weight teddy bears, which is a lot cheaper. I've often wondered if the same stuff is used to weight those animal-shaped door stops. I usually use PVA to glue it in place.
Pete
That's precisely what I mean, I'm building a A-10 Warthog plane, I tried gluing a couple nuts and washers inside the nose but it wasn't enough, yeah it's tail-sitting!, Ugh!, Thanks Pete.

First Name
Neal
Hi Neal. Welcome to the forum. When you say “add weight”, in what context do you mean? There are several ways of doing this, but it depends on what you are making…..
I'm in the process of building an A-10 Warthog plane, the directions say/show add weight to the nose area of the plane, never before running into this situation I wasn't sure what to use so I tried a couple nuts, washers, didn't work, I now have a tail-sitting plane!, Another guy on this forum responded with "liquid gravity", thoughts?, Thanks Tim.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Neal and welcome. We hope that you enjoy the forums and look forward to seeing you around and what you have built

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Neal,
welcome to the forum. If you've lots of room for weight -try coins - they're mostly worthless anyway! Otherwise I use ball bearings, you can pick up a big bag of 2/3mm dia ball bearings ( or whatever archaic system of measurement current ), from Ebay, ot Toolstore. I use CA to stop them rattling, allthough I have wrapped them in cooking foil for the same reasun.
Dave

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Hi and welcome Neal.
My two penneth regards weight, if you can some lead shot, (fishing shop or the like), I used to use that when balancing balsa gliders etc.
The lead shot is small, dense and can be kept in place with small amounts of glue.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
I’ve used offcuts of roofing lead when I’ve had to do this (it’s amazing the crap you collect when you are a modeller). It can easily be cut, shaped, and filed to fit. Use evo stick or araldite to hold it in place because real lead and PVA don’t mix well. A lead and PVA mix creates lead acetate, which expands, and can destroy the model over time.

Modern lead shot, fishing weights, or liquid lead, are fine with PVA as they don’t actually have real lead in them anymore.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I've lots of used auto wheel balancing weights. Cut'em to fit where ya'need'em.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
.....What about just glueing the nose wheel to your base? ;), Cover any "glue spill" with grass,mud,dirt,chocs, whatever the scene you're depicting requires?.. just a thought :thinking:
.... A warm welcome to the site from me too by the way :thumb2:

Del640

SMF Supporter
First Name
Del
Welcome to an immensely informative site with some real characters,

Enjoy!

Del

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Welcome to the madhouse Neal.. make yourself comfy ...there's plenty of helpful advice and cheerful banter... so feel free to dive right in mate, and please remember, the only daft or silly question is the one you never ask... :thumb2: :thumb2:

First Name
Neal
Gentlemen, thanks a bunch for your replies, definitely a lot of great ideas here I didn't think of.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Gentlemen, thanks a bunch for your replies, definitely a lot of great ideas here I didn't think of.
Hi Neal. We hope that you will join the forum propper and enjoy all the benefits that come with it.