Normandy Bocage diorama

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
Great stuff. It really does look the part. I bet you have a big smile on your face
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yeah there is a smile Jim. Only my second ever dio and i'm really enjoying this. Some frustrations along the way and trying to figure out how to use 'free' items i find. I've accepted that in trying to replicate the image i have in my head, i know that my skills (or wallet) aren't good enough. But still it's looking ok. Should be a lot better once i've painted the trees and added the leaves. That should (hopefully) give it a more atmospheric feel to it with bigger shadows etc.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
That looks stunning - great details included as well - yes, you can chuck loads of money at something, but it won't necessarily make it any 'better'.
Be careful of 'overcooking' it (think that I did that with my second attempt at a dio)

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Overcooking? Do you mean adding too much?

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Overcooking? Do you mean adding too much?
Yes, sometimes 'less is more' - personally, I'd say that you're near-enough there, possibly the leaves will be the finishing touch, as you say, the shadows will probably set everything off right - be interesting to see the effects, but it's your decision and creation after all, (I've not done any more dios than you!) will watch with great interest.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Nothing amiss with this Alan. I love doing dioramas and the more you do the easier it is to "see " what you want to convey . I'd have been really chuffed if this was mine second attempt.
Have you thought of growing your own seafoam ? Not really hard and you'll have a great stock .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
John, does it (seafoam) need anything special (hot house etc.)?

Reactions: JR

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Have you thought of growing your own seafoam ? Not really hard and you'll have a great stock .

Thanks very much John. Yes i have thought about growing my own but i don't have germination boxes to start them off in. Also space to place them is a little limited. But i would seriously love to grow my own. would open up a whole new dio area for me

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Thanks very much John. Yes i have thought about growing my own but i don't have germination boxes to start them off in. Also space to place them is a little limited. But i would seriously love to grow my own. would open up a whole new dio area for me
I was a little hesitant at first , used bottom heat and did everything by the book . That produced more than enough the first year. The following year I was supprised to find young seedlings all over the green house, many had landed in compost over wintered and germinated.
Remember the plants grow in the Gobi desert and the temperature drops at night. Many people now selling the seed , but I went to Chiltern Seeds. https://www.googwww.chilternseeds.co.uk/item_1235a_teloxys_aristata_seeds.
Give it a try .

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Best started with some heat Gerry and very little water . I did a SBS sometime ago on here .Its under https://www.scale-models.co.uk/forums/tutorials-and-how-tos.11/
Hope you can find it .
Found it, interesting reading and will have to try growing some - the lack of a greenhouse might be an issue, but given the success of the self-sown that you had, might just give it a try outside.
Linky to the seed merchant doesn't work for me on the phone:confused:

• Sad

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Alan

That is coming on beautifully. I'd be proud of that was my 10th diorama, let alone only my 2nd.

Great work.

ATB.

Andrew

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Got the bits i need to make my wood aging solution. I've placed the steel wool into 25ml of vinegar and will let it rest for 24(ish) hours.

52.png

• Love

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
I love a good Dio me,and this is certainly falling into that category Alan!!:money-face:
Been watching this one from the cheap seats,and been very impressed,especially considering it`s only your second attempt:thumb2:.
There is something that i noticed,but wasn`t going to mentiion...... HOWEVER,as you did ask for any observations,here it is,(and PLEASE don`t take this as a criticism ;) )........
....... the previous tracked vehicle`s impressions in the ground look a little "Proud" almost as though they were added on top of the ground surface,rather than sunken into it:thinking:,
as i said,IN NO WAY is that intended as a criticism mate,it could just be a camera deception?
Either way,it`s looking a cracking Dio,and you should,rightly,be chuffed to bits with it:cool:!
Andy

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
No offence taken at all Andy. Like you i think where i've put track marks is too proud as well. I am probably going to dremel them off and just leave it a flat(ish) surface. That way i can place all my builds on this without having just one set of track marks.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Alan

You're making fine progress with this dio. I am not sure what your wood aging solution is but I suspect it is to darken and age wood. The following is a product that I use a lot for the same purpose and it is the easiest thing in the world to use. It is soluble in water so you can mix up colours from light tan to very dark brown depending on how much you mix. It is completely odorless and a small jar will last approximately 375 years. If you don't find the powder form it can also be purchased ready mixed and is sold as Walnut ink. In French we call it brou de noix.

walnut.jpg

John

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
No offence taken at all Andy. Like you i think where i've put track marks is too proud as well. I am probably going to dremel them off and just leave it a flat(ish) surface. That way i can place all my builds on this without having just one set of track marks.
Possibly give it a chalk/limestone effect, where tracks/wheels wouldn't leave impressions, but would still keep the grass from growing - possibly a couple of ruts.
Or
Possibly turn the track into a churned up 'mush' with no definitive tracks, with a few into the gateway (or a couple of wagon tracks and horse prints up the middle).

Just putting suggestions in the air.

Last edited: