North African Build

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
While I smell the smoke and dust from the snails overtaking me I've started on the urn covers by slicing some plastic rod and rolling left over putty between my fingers for little ball bearing sized globes.

N58.jpg

That extra left over putty came from the Date palm trunk I was carving. This shot was reversed as it was being held on a vice so you'll see the shadows in reverse with highlights from the bottom. It's only half way up the trunk as the rest will be done when this portion cures.

N57.jpg

The reason for this carving is because I've always wanted to do a more realistic palm trunk. Each palm has its own distinct look from the trunk to its fronds. So far I've been able to do coconut palms for my Pacific dio so now its North African Date palms. Hope it turns out okay.

Cheers,
Richard

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I love all your sculpting work Richard, very impressive :thumb2:
Steven

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steven, I get more daring with every new sculpt I attempt. I hope there is a sign of improvement. I only wish I can get my hands on some green stuff...I see people do wonders with it.

Cheers,
Richard

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
You certainly do Richard, that is superb.

, As to the Donkeys, I had a friend who bread donkeys and yes there is some difference between those two types. If your interested and have a week to read and digest ! :smiling3:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-020-19813-7.

The north African Donkey comes from from the wild Ass , oh to be a nerd :nerd:

Last edited:

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Lost track of this one. Some excellent work on display. PaulE

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks John and Paul, so far so good.

So the mule/donkey/ass originates from North Africa...well wadda you know. Colors will keep to grey and hairy. Thanks for that John.

Well, the urns are covered and I have stuck a thick wire into the trunk of the Date palm...

N59.jpg

I power-drilled a hole into the base to receive the other end of the wire for the trunk. I just dry placed it...will remove it to continue the rest of the trunk sculpturing.

N60.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Definitely going in the right direction for the Dog's Award Richard.

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Not sure if donkeys leave a 'single' track like a deer, or leave a 'double' one like a horse? Would think that it's like the horse, especially if it's carrying a heavy load (for me, it's all in the detail!)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Oh dear not the Doggy award, John. :tears-of-joy: Perhaps just the scraps if it turns out right. :smiling2:

Not sure if donkeys leave a 'single' track like a deer, or leave a 'double' one like a horse? Would think that it's like the horse, especially if it's carrying a heavy load (for me, it's all in the detail!)
Thanks for that Gerry, I haven't yet decided if that's the spot it's going to finally be. For the moment it's propped up with wire. The tracks will be blurry as it's soft sand and he'll be well dug in, I haven't figured out how I'm going to approach that perhaps with a soft wet brush. We'll see once I've painted the subjects. I will be sanding the surface with fine grit paper to get some of the rough textures off.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
No worries about being slow although I like the thought of snails whizzing passed you :tongue-out3:
Fine work as always. Your palm tree trunk - is it moulded around some kind of rod?
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim, yeah them snails must be on high octane slime. :tears-of-joy:
Thanks, I molded the putty around a curved branch I picked up in the garden. Just made sure it's totally dead wood. Used the same thread method for the trunk grooves but this time in a crist crossed fashion...a bit like a pineapple. Then using a hacksaw blade to create the rough texture.

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Greta work as always Richard.

ATB.

Andrew

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks guys, not only am I overtaken by racing snails but it's depressing seeing guys here start and finish their builds some even a couple while I'm still composing. I ought to stop having too many builds on the go at the same time and just concentrate on one to finish first.

So far I have the Kure Harbour, Church scene, David and Goliath, Hell in the Pacific(still tweaking it), Hellcat, USS Bogue, USS Constipation, WW1 vignette, Mowhawk, Brummbar, Israeli Six Day War, Humvee and F-4. Many more on the drawing board. :tired::smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

GerryW

Rest In Peace
First Name
Gerry
Personally, I'd say not to worry about those racing snails, proceed at your own pace and get the results that you want - if working on several projects at once, it's better than getting fed up with doing the same one all the time or rushing to finish and not being happy with the end result (though you're probably going faster than I am!)

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I get what you mean Gerry, I do jump from build to build depending on the mojo but it has it's pros and cons. You either keep enjoying or be patient for a finish.
Well if you knew when this dio got started you'll figure out that you'll be ahead of me in no time. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, just a bit of sculpturing to finish up the rest of the trunk... with the help of my special tool...

N61.jpg

And here is the tool I used...nothing fancy, just a hacksaw blade. Best used when the putty is still soft. Thread was used of course wound round in chriss-cross fashion and removed before using the hacksaw blade.

N62.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Neil, not that brilliant once you see how simple the actual tool is itself. :smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Amazing Richard. :cool::cool::cool::nerd: