Ok back to German planes again this time the Focke Wulf Fw189

S

Saber

Ah back to my favorite planes again. Very nice little kit from the looks of it with reasonable detail and good moldings. I spent today working on the canopy's using my new found method. Rather then trying to fill in each tiny square by going around it with tiny strips of tape my new method is much better. Just use two longer bits of tape and mask each side of the frame border across in one direction then paint them in by hand. leave to dry then proceed to mask off the frame borders in the other direction, paint and leave to dry. I find this method gives a much neater line then the way I was doing it before. Here is the pic of canopy's and box kit as I get stuck into this neat little model.

View attachment 51926View attachment 51927View attachment 51928View attachment 51929View attachment 51930View attachment 51931View attachment 51932

View attachment 54489

View attachment 54490

View attachment 54491

View attachment 54492

View attachment 54493

View attachment 54494

View attachment 54495

2012-10-21 19.39.45.jpg

2012-10-21 13.01.42.jpg

2012-10-21 13.01.54.jpg

2012-10-21 15.25.12.jpg

2012-10-21 16.18.14.jpg

2012-10-21 19.38.37.jpg

2012-10-21 19.39.31.jpg

First Name
Adrian
Looking forward to seeing this build progress, I did a similar thing on the cockpit of my Kitty Hawk, and your right it gives a much better finish in the end and far less hassle

Adrian

S

Saber

Thought I would try it on this one after doing it on my Catalina build and it worked quite well but you do need to paint over it a couple of times before taking the tape off to make sure the line is nicely filled in.

First Name
Adrian
\ said:
Thought I would try it on this one after doing it on my Catalina build and it worked quite well but you do need to paint over it a couple of times before taking the tape off to make sure the line is nicely filled in.
True, what I do if needed is paint the interior colour first then the outside colour over the top

Adrian

T

treyzx10r

Nice tip for painting the canopies ,looks like it works nicely in that scale!

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Those canopies look great, I'll give that a go myself.

Tony.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Seem to remember making one of these when I was a sprog, and also seem to remember the fit on the two top parts of the glasshouse was really bad. Is it any better this time round as I've seen one of these in my LMS and refrained from getting it for that reason.

I'd be pleased to hear your opinion because I rather like this plane.

Tony.

S

Saber

Hi Tony, the parts are fairly good fitting certainly better then the Catilina and I think the moldings are an improvement on older airfix kits. This one might be better in 1:48 scale though but Im running out of space :smiling3:

Sent from my GT-S5670 using Tapatalk 2

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress so far mark , ive got this to do in the stash. If i recall correctly this moulding dates from the mid seventies or possibly earlier, but its still a very buildable kit. Top work on the canopy masking , i think thats why mine is still in the stash - im dreading it!!! cheers tony

S

Saber

Actually looking at it now I could have pulled the tape in a bit tighter and got those lines a bit thinner but its coming on ok and its all good practice.

T

treyzx10r

Looking great and what a job on the canopy Mark ,looking forward to the next update!

R

roconnell

Thanks for posting this Mark really helpful as I too am currently building this kit.

Love the tip for the canopy and will be giving it a try. The one difference I am doing is its the first kit I have used PE on and it did mean hacking at the canopy as it is going to be set open.

Cheers mate, looking really good so far, Rich.

S

Saber

Ok have glued up the main parts then noticed I forgot to paint under the front canopy duh :sad:

Oh well have to take it off grr clearfix is ok for that though so should be safe. Start the paint job tomorrow. :smiling3:

S

Saber

Here is my collection of German planes so far

P

phalinmegob

very nice mate, all you need to do now is paint the top of your desk a tarmac colour. :smiling3: