Our garden

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Spend at lot of my time these days in the garden.
The main garden is undergoing a make over. Have cleared around 200 m2 of bushes from around the edge. Good old shovel and spade! 80% of the bushes have been moved out to the edge og the garden and are slowly coming on and filling some of the holes.
Here are some general view across the garden:
DSC_1304.JPG
The veggie garden, Its the first season with this, Before we just had some raised beds, the black boxes you can see in front of the barn. More about those later!
DSC_1305.JPG
Behind the Green house, are the soft frugts Gooseberries, Black currents, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry, blueberry, cranberry... think thats all lol. There is also two pear trees and two plum!
DSC_1315.JPG
Our "little" house! The brick built is the actual house, The white one facing out to the garden has the man cave and the good lady's training room. The other white building is a rather run down 'stable' Which at som point in time is going to get taken down and built up as an Orangery!
DSC_1319.JPG
The biggest challenge so far. Turning a huge lawn into something a little more interesting. One of the good things about living in a farming area. Plenty of field stones. The hard part is collecting them. Putting them down is the easy bit...... sort of.
DSC_1317.JPG
If I recall there are about 12 Rhododendrons and Eight maybe ten Japanese maples of various types. Still working on the stonework. Need to get some more stones in! Only about 150m left to do
DSC_1318.JPG
Carina so wanted a Wisteria so muggins was tasked with building a pergola. Shade in the morning then the sun comes around at about 10am. Time for a pause.
DSC_1308.JPG DSC_1307.JPG
Didn't do all the work setting the posts. I had a helper! I'm sure he thinks his a dog.

I'll give it a break now and if you like I can post som more later!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ian
That is impressive. A huge amount of work but your own fruit and veg is a real reward. Must keep you fit as well which is no bad thing. Something to take pride in.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice looking pad, Ian. Plenty of room to run around.

I notice you have a flag pole. When I first met my girl friend, now my wife of 49 years, Her parents had a flag pole in their front garden. I reasoned these people have money, I'm going to marry their daughter for sure!
I was right with the last bit but way, way out with the flag pole bit. They squandered what little they had and I saw now't of what I thought would be a nice pile of dosh!

Totally mercenary thinking, but I was only 19!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Beautiful Ian, nice to have that amount of land as well. Love Maples so many varieties to choose from. The Wisteria will look grand after a few years, out neighbour has one against the fences between us, our Montana Clematis has seen it off in double quick time.
Yes to more photos, all ways enjoyable to see others gardens.

D

Deleted member 4539

Lovely garden Ian :smiling3:.
"Plenty of field stones. The hard part is collecting them". .....you mean not getting caught:tears-of-joy:.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks chaps.
The veggie garden is 90% full now and doing OK. One of the reasons we dropped (for now) the raised beds was that the things we really like and eat a lot of take a lot of room....So hence the bigger veggie patch. The Only thing I missed out was the beetroots. Might be to late now but hey ho.
Ralph.The hard part in getting the stones is loading them on the trailer. Not easy on your own.... The farmer did lend me a tractor a few weeks ago, A huge JD that could just get in the drive way! Stil three buckets of the front loader and I had enough to do two and a half beds....
One thing that is doing me in this season are weeds! We have had nice warm and wet spring and the weeds are going mental! I can normally keep on top of it but this year is a challenge!
Jim in the winter I normally put on a kilo or three and work it off again in spring. lol. And Yes veggies out the garden are sooo much better.
Ron 90% of houses here have a flag pole. Danes are very proud of the flag "Danebro" which is 800 years old tomorrow making it the worlds oldest national flag. Just collected ours from the next door neighbour who has repaired some of the seams for us.
I will post a few more photos later of some of the beds. The rhodos are more or less finished now but the peonies are starting and the roses are not far behind.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
DSC_1321.JPG
Got the pavers in the pergola laid in the week. The wife is rather happy! (so am I).DSC_1303.JPG
It looks a bit shabby right here but this is the new Rose bed. Red in the center and pale pink around them. The "scruffy bits" are either new plants or some bulbs that have just gone over. Snowdrops and white grape hyacinths amongst other things.
DSC_1310.JPG
One of the rhododendron beds. The one on the right is a Cummings white that had just finished, The purple on is a Polarnacht. I cant recall the names of the two others.
DSC_1312.JPG
The high red maple is a Beaters broom, the rather bright yellow a Peach dream, there is a little dwarf in the middle as well. Hard to see here. Nice dark green leaves with a red edge to them.
DSC_1313.JPG
Looks a bit spars right now but early spring it is full of snowdrops. A Maple in each corner and a sweet almond in the middle. The large green maple is one of the cats favorit sleeping spots.
DSC_1314.JPG
A nice Bronze fire azalea to give a bit of pow! next to the deep red maple....

Thanks for looking in.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
DSC_1358.JPG

Got the last cross braces fitted today.. Finished. All we need now is for the Wisteria to spring into action.
I was hoping to be able to post a photo of the Rose bed..... The local deer population had other plans.... mostly breakfast.

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Wow, you are one lucky man Ian! The garden looks beautiful :smiling4:

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Loverly garden, I hope you have time to relax in it and enjoy it - after all that work you deserve it.

Peter

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Cheers chaps.
Next up on the to do list is a fire pit. Have had the good lady dig out the plot! She went to town with the spade and in one day had dug out a 4 metre wide circle 30 cm deep!
Now we just need to collect a couple of tons ballast! Pictures later if you like.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'd love to have a fire pit. Instead i'm going to be making a fire bin out of an old washing machine drum. Might even be able to put a small BBQ griddle on top

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Very nice work Ian, the garden is looking great. You should change your name to Mr Green Fingers

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I'd love to have a fire pit. Instead i'm going to be making a fire bin out of an old washing machine drum. Might even be able to put a small BBQ griddle on top
The plan is to have a large seating area with the pit built up in the center. All cleverly sized so that a standard 60cm BBQ griddle can be put over the top...
We are still working up the gumption to go collect the ballast for the base....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Been a while as there have been other things in the way so gardening has mostly been up-keep; cutting the grass and weeding. A task made much worse this last year as it was a really good spring. Wet and warm. Weeds EVERYWHERE!
The Fire pit! Well the other day Carina saw someone selling a thousand used block paver for £20. so we used a day filling our trailer, coming home and emptying. Four Times! Needless to say I'm done for the next few days. If the winter weather allows, they will be down by spring. (famous last words).
Another winter project is to design a new front garden. As it is its just (terrible) grass. So lots to play with there.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Ian. I don’t know how I missed this thread what a beautiful garden and Flower Garden you have there.Sorry for all the weeds. If you don’t know this already don’t put Cow or Horse Manure on your garden next year. Use Chicken or Rabbit manure you will see a big difference. If you can put the Chicken manure on now so it won’t be too hot by early spring and it will help your weed control

Last edited: