Our garden

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks fantastic Ian , well worth all the effort you put in .
In fact I think a Dog's is due .
2020DB (1).jpg
Congratulations from the gardening team at Race Towers .

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Did you have to show us your garden :disappointed: Now she wants me to get out with the fork and shovel and dig up half the road - no idea where the busses are going to go....
Being serious, the garden is a credit to you, just wish I had the enthusiasm to do the same, but with my gardening skills there would not be a living thing left growing....

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Ian. I don’t know how I missed this thread what a beautiful garden and Flower Garden you have there. Sorry for all the weeds. If you don’t know this already don’t put Cow or Horse Manure on your garden next year. Use Chicken or Rabbit manure you will see a big difference. If you can put the Chicken manure on now so it won’t be too hot by early spring and it will help your weed control
Thanks, I dont use either. I know Horse manure can contain a lot of weed seeds so avoid that. Cow is not to bad due to their digestive system. Still Dont use it. Dont fancy having it stock-piled in the garden. Within a 1/2 mile we have pigs, horses and cows so very easy to get but generally to much hassle!
Next door has chickens so get some of that once in a while.
The weed situation was not to bad befor, however a warm wet spring saw all the dormant seed wake and go nuts. I'll get there in the end. Just need to be able to keep the compost holders hot! Mine get cold and stop!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian

Missed this first time around. Have to say I'm very jealous! You have a very lovely looking home.

ATB.

Andrew

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you want to get a hot composter back up to temp quickly then throw in some grass. It get it hot but only for a short time.
Do that already. Most of the grass gets mulched but have a few places where I collect the grass for the compost... I suppose I will just have to turn the heap more often!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Buy (or make) a hot composter. I'll be making one at some point as they are so much faster and efficient at making compost.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
As a change from fighting the weeds in the back garden: The weather has yet again been perfect for weeds this year, add to that a few health issues, covid round two locking down every thing again. OH we had the B&B again last summer so that bit into my time as well. Short version the weeds got away from me and I am paying the price :disappointed: One years seed is seven years weed as the saying goes!
I digress. As a diversion from the back garden we started on the front garden....
For the last year it has been grass. Long grass. up to 4foot high some places. This was divide into islands with a cut grass path making 7 or 8 beds around the meandering pathway.
Had some plants in our own nursery bed and a visit to the garden some saw the rest of the plants home.
We now have ONE bed done.
20220708_105441.jpg20220708_105448.jpg
A total mish mash. There is a Budliga, peony, lavender, chocolate flower, fairy bells, Garden lady's mantel, echinacea p. a couple of Salvia. harvest anemone and a few other I cant remember. (yes already)!
Oh a couple of winter hardy grass.
The only idea was a mix of hard and soft leaf forms, dark and light, low and high. Just two things I need now.
A beer and some lambs ears...As in Rose Campion. Not actual lambs ears!
20220520_194446.jpg
One of the Wisteria. There was a good flowering this summer. this was the start. We added the screens at the back due to the thin hedge. So we can enjoy a cup of coffee with out passers by stopping for a chat!
20220525_174516.jpg
The rhodos, put on a fantastic show, but due to the sudden heat and dry, short lived :sad:
20220525_181351.jpg
The show was good though.
20220520_194858.jpg
Even in the bed that I made a bit bigger.... cant see so much but this edge is a good four foot further out than it used to be...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Just beautiful Ian. It must be good for the soul to sit out there on a nice day with your thoughts and a cold beer. That wisteria has grown well.

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
The fruits of labour has been rewarded with blooms of flowers and the they have filled up nicely Ian. How do you keep the weeding to a minimum or have you found a way to stop them from etching into the beds?

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Absolutely gorgeous Ian!!!...........looks like a lot hard work has paid a wonderful dividend......Now go and get the backyard done!!!.......

Prost
Allen

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Ian , I see you have some maples as well .Watch those in very hot weather the leaves can suffer burn up, so plenty of water at the base and if you can shade .
Love the wisteria, give that a couple years and it will be a great cover to the top .

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well chaps,
You certainly have put some great effort into your beautiful gardens:nerd:,
So much so,that you inspired me to get to work on mine,in the past my Greenfingered skills have been,shall we say,a tad lacking:flushed:,
HOWEVER ,spurred on by your success,i read up on techniques and processes,invested in the latest equipment, and went and got stuck in to the patio and shrubbery which was looking a bit sorry for itself:anguished:.
I think you`ll agree that my new found Percy Thrower esk talents are plainly evident:thumb2: ,
It is quite hot and sunny here today,so the pic is a little glary ....
500_F_265288885_VcfbGETQP7PizoJw68SdhZNrLh0pvCbG - Copy.jpg
No,No.... hold back with the praise...... i couldn`t have done it without your inspiration:cool:!!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well chaps,
You certainly have put some great effort into your beautiful gardens:nerd:,
So much so,that you inspired me to get to work on mine,in the past my Greenfingered skills have been,shall we say,a tad lacking:flushed:,
HOWEVER ,spurred on by your success,i read up on techniques and processes,invested in the latest equipment, and went and got stuck in to the patio and shrubbery which was looking a bit sorry for itself:anguished:.
I think you`ll agree that my new found Percy Thrower esk talents are plainly evident:thumb2: ,
It is quite hot and sunny here today,so the pic is a little glary ....
View attachment 457839
No,No.... hold back with the praise...... i couldn`t have done it without your inspiration:cool:!!
Well, it’s red so it could be Devon…..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The fruits of labour has been rewarded with blooms of flowers and the they have filled up nicely Ian. How do you keep the weeding to a minimum or have you found a way to stop them from etching into the beds?

Cheers,
Richard
Cheers Richard. The beds are reasonably easy to weed, there is some crabgrass that is a bit of a pain but generally a quick walk around and we can get to most of them. It's the boarders that are a pain. The back out onto open farmland. = loads of weeds.

The new bed we just made in the front garden is after the no dig principle. Grass cut right down to the ground, a couple of layers of wetted down corrugated card, that stops the light, thus perennial weeds. Then 10 - 15 cm compost and soil mix on top.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
20220720_103543.jpg20220720_103555.jpg20220720_103609.jpg
Just thought I would share a photo or two of the Hortensia bed. I have a problem with the one end of the bed! They are all planted the same day but those at the right Just will not grow! one of them has even almost died back and has a singe stem with a couple of leaf and a single flower!
Thinking about it the two red ones at the back are planted a year later and are cuttings taken from a large plant that was getting a haircut.