P-47D 1/48 Monogram

T

treyzx10r

Basic Dry fit looks promising

Trying not to go hog wild with a/m goodies on this one so making the most out of whats in the box is a must. First up I gave the wheels a retread and then 'weighted' them,may have weighted them a tad much but I'll roll with it!

Next I opened up the vents behind the cowl flap area

Cleaned up and thinned the aft fuse vents

More cleaning and drilling,will be straying from the oob by adding some tubing here

Razor sawed the cowl flaps ,filed them a bit and thinned the trailing edges

Rescribed and cleaned up the front cowl

on to the office next! cheers Trey

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Great work Trey. Looking forward to seeing more.

Tony.

M

mobear

I`m to scared to do that with the wheels,but it looks good,could be a slow puncture lol,nice start though

mobear

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
This type of build is right up my street trey! I love to see older basic kits get a revamp and come out up to modern standards . Great start with the refinements , these small things such as thinning the cowl flaps etc really make a big difference and transform the kit , cheers tony

S

Sky Raider

Beutiful Trey, i rmember my P47 its a beutiful subject. Can waut to see you do your voodoo on this one.

Cheers

Andy

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Fellas,really trying to stay away from the resin stuff on this one. Glad you all appreciate that,sometimes its good to get back to basics. Nothing wrong with all the a/m goodies and resin bits mind you they are great and have their place. I just get tired of dumping my wallet out on every build.

Office is a wrap,not a very accurate molding I might add. A lot of missing and misplaced components .Still trying to avoid resin replacements with this build so in it goes.

First Name
Dave
Nice to see another Monogram kit being built.Ive done this one myself.I finished it as Gabreski's plane with an after market decal sheet.

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey did you literally recut the tyre tread with your razor saw? You are certainly on a roll with this one, all looks good and as you say resin on every model soon gets expensive and to be honest from what I can see you have plenty of detail. Keep the photos coming.

Vaughan

C

CDW

Looking good so far Trey .... if you cut a new tread on those tyres then i'm impressed mate.

I'm with Ole on the tyres, maybe a slow puncture:smiling3: ... dont think it'll look that noticeable when it's painted up to be honest

P

Plastickitbasher

Looking good so far, nothing wrong with a bit of back to basics

T

treyzx10r

Dave thanks,would love to see your 'Gabby' jug did you post any pics? I've got a decal sheet in route but going to go NMF on this one(I hope)

Thanks Vaughan, yes I did resaw the tread and the pics are hiding a myriad of sins it does'nt look near that good in person.

Ole thanks I can live with it and I hope you're right and it does'nt stick out too much once its on a base. Maybe a little tall grass around the wheels........

David appreciate that, basics are sometimes the less is more approach for me.

I'm still cleaning up the fuse and opening up tiny vents

Does anyone have a good detail picture of this area?Been searching for hours and coming up dry. Would be greatly appreciated

cheers Trey

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan thanks I appreciate you taking the time to post those up for me. I'm hoping to find a shot looking up into the turbo outlet vent area,just coming up dry. Searched the web for 2 hours and nothing!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey found this youtube video might be of some help

. It's 45 mins long and does have a pre-flight walk-a-roundVaughan

Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Vaughan it came close on the wailk around but still did'nt get that elusive shot,thanks again all the same appreciate the effort!

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Last edited by a moderator:
T

treyzx10r

Vaughan you ROCK ! Thats just what I needed, on to more surgery! I owe you big time Bro THANKS!!!!!!!!

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan thanks again ,really appreciate the help. Thanks to you I was able to slog on and get going again!

B-17 in the stash gave up a turbo(more to come on that build later) and using the donated part I finished up the aft turbo vents.

I also used some sheet styrene painted black to block light from passing thru the opened vents and installed the office.

Glued the fuse halves together

started working on the gun sight

after it sets up it will be time to decide what to do about the raised panel lines,not really wanting to rescribe this thing. Geuss it depends on how much detail I loose sanding the seams