P-47D 1/48 Monogram

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
All's looking good Trey and I'm glad that I could help you out.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan thanks again Amigo!The wings next,opened the spent shell ports ,landing lights and ID light holes

Cleaned up the engine and firewall,opened the intakes and removed areas around the cylinder heads

Joined the wings and set the dehedral,its close but not exact

filled the minor gaps with green squadron putty

smoothed out the filler and painted a guide coat of thinned grey to highlight imperfections

I just had to touch up a few panel lines at the seams avoiding a major rescribe job.

Thinned MM enamel applied to get a uniform base before the NMF

canopy added

NMF is next,cheers Trey

B

Bubba

Wow, you're making a proper silk purse out of what appears to be a bit of a sow's ear of a kit, Trey! Amazing skills on show there. :smiling5: I wouldn't have thought of opening up all those vents.

T

treyzx10r

Thanks Bubba,I'm punishing myself with old revelogram kits lately ,do'nt really know why;)

T

treyzx10r

I'm going with Testors aluminum for the base of the NMF. First shot some Testors clear over the canopy to help seal down the mask and avoid 'creep'. Followed by a shot of the green interior color. Then the aluminum went on. I had to stop and fix some blems inspite of all the extra care I still missed a few spots. I then shot some Testors clear over the aluminum ,hopefully this will keep me from damaging the finish as I add some various tints to access panels and the anti glare areas.

The props almost ready to hang

Panel color modulation followed by Invasion stripes and anti glare next,cheers Trey

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
That Testor Aluminium gives a great finish looking forward to seeing this one completed Trey.

Vaughan

T

treyzx10r

Vaughan and Mark thanks for the support,really appreciate it. Had an EPIC fail on the NMF. Masked up some panels to spray some different shades of aluminum and the clear pulled away from the base. So I grabbed some really strong tape and started using it to 'pull' the remainder of the clear away.

then wet sanded everything with 1000 grit,loosing a little detail but its better than binning it at this point.

Then sprayed it semi gloss black to check for flaws . I'm going to try Tamiya ts-30 silver leaf as I've had good results in the past with it.

If that does'nt work I'm returning it to kit form. Gee I'm so glad I got back into this hobby to relax.

C

CDW

\ said:
Gee I'm so glad I got back into this hobby to relax.
I know that feeling well :smiling3: :smiling3:

Looks like you've recovered the kit nicely though Trey, there still looks to be a load of detail showing through on the semi-gloss pictures so (from my limited knowledge of aircraft building) you have something to work with.

T

treyzx10r

Bob yes indeed but one I can wake up from me thinks ,Colin thanks looks like the detail remained fairly well intact.

Well I have made a partial recovery to were I wanted to be. I shot tamiya ts-30 first followed by Model Master aluminum plate metalizer. Then I buffed everything out by hand and shot automotive 2part urethane clear thinned about 30% over the whole thing. I'm not going to attempt to mask and spray the invasion stripes,just too worried everything will pull up again! I tried using the kit supplied ones but ruined them putting them on,totally my fault. So 'elsie ' will have to live without her belly stripes,oh well.

Decals are Aero Master and are working great

Monster Prop is ready to hang

S

Sky Raider

Just beutiful Trey. Your doing a fantastic job on this one as usual.

Andy

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Trey GREAT recovery all's looking good.

Vaughan

C

CDW

nice recovery job Trey......

you could remove page 3 from the thread and no-one would be the wiser looking at the model now. :smiling3:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just caught up on this one. Talk of ups and downs. What a great recovery as well.

Shame about the stripes but she is looking mighty fine no the less.

Ian M

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great work Trey, you have recovered it well. I admire you guys who are brave enough to use NMF.