Papa 695s Airfix 1/72 Mustang Lollipoop.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Now then, the last two problems I had with paint lifting were both Airfix kits. And now this ? We've both been building for a while, so it's not like were new to this game. I'm certainly not doing anything different.
Could it be there’s too much mould release agent still on the parts? It might be worth washing the sprues with some washing-up liquid before building to see if that solves the problem (no point doing that for a kit that’s been painted and then stripped, of course).

But ive never tried what you guys do an that's painting it black afore you put on the top coat an I cannot understand why it should lift
I don’t think it’s anything to do with the black undercoat. If there’s something on the plastic that prevents the paints sticking as well as they could (should?), then the paint’s much more likely to lift with masking tape no matter what paint you use.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Could it be there’s too much mould release agent still on the parts? It might be worth washing the sprues with some washing-up liquid before building to see if that solves the problem (no point doing that for a kit that’s been painted and then stripped, of course).
Sure thing. Next time I might actually use a tooth brush on the parts, well the big bits anyway.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Just caught up Ian and so sorry to see that the paint problems forced you to re-paint it.:sad-face:

Hope this round all will stay on, it was looking really good.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Ian its lookin good an this time no trouble with the maskin tape I trust an I really like that undercart nice an colourfull
chris

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Ian,
Looking good. Am I right in thinking that the aircraft with the red tails were flown by the Tuskagy pilots (Probably spelt wrong)

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Tuskegee :smiling3: According to the Wikipedia article on the unit:—
The red markings that distinguished the Tuskegee Airmen included red bands on the noses of P-51s as well as a red rudder; the P-51B and D Mustangs flew with similar color schemes, with red propeller spinners, yellow wing bands and all-red tail surfaces.

That seems to match Ian’s model very well.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Somebody named their child “Spurgeon” …? Oh well … here’s a guide to sculpting a figure to put in the cockpit:

700x_P51D_Mustang_Spurgeon_Ellington.jpg

J

Judas.1044

Hi Ian!
It's so annoying when the metallic colour just peel off...
I had that trouble with my mustang and I decided to protect each layer with a coat of future to avoid surprises.

Anyway your model looks great

Regards!

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Missed this one. What a pain in the bum with the paint pulling like that!
Another culprit could be finger marks from handling. I always either wash my hands well or use a glove. Also Tamiya masking tape gets put down on a clean surface and pulled off a couple of times to remove some of the stickyness. You can also run it through your fingers to do the same.
You beat it in the end though and it looks great!
Looks to be a good little kit as well.