Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mind? The more the merrier! I hope you've got a sharp knife and some sand paper :smiling3:

I've been unexpectedly dragged into work tomorrow and next week, so mine is going to stutter a bit unless I can get a load done over the weekend.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Will watch with interest Ian. You guys are providing some much needed entertainment.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Makes me wonder how anyone would have been persuaded to take up modelling after buying something as badly moulded! I have no doubts you and Steve will end up with something worthwhile.

Gern

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice work Ian , bashing this old clunker into shape is a refresher course in basic techniques isnt it . I expect to see scratchbuilt cannons and fully glazed windows , not to mention full rigging by the next update !! cheers tony

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Nice work Ian , bashing this old clunker into shape is a refresher course in basic techniques isnt it . I expect to see scratchbuilt cannons and fully glazed windows , not to mention full rigging by the next update !! cheers tony
I would Tony but the challenge it's to build it so it looks like the Airfix promo in Michael Williams thread and Steve's ( stona ) Well that's my excuse

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Good stuff so far.

I'm afraid I'm diverging from the promo shot a bit because a) I've got more than four colours and b) I quite like the box art.

Will you be adding any rigging? I know that I won't, that will be faithful to the promo shot :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Good stuff so far.I'm afraid I'm diverging from the promo shot a bit because a) I've got more than four colours and b) I quite like the box art.

Will you be adding any rigging? I know that I won't, that will be faithful to the promo shot :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
Hi Steve thanks

What I'm going ( hoping ) to do is build it as close to the promo as possible, but to not glue it the best as possible.ie the sails to the masts and the masts to the ship, then show it. After that take it apart then weather it and do the rigging and put it on a little sea scape

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Oops, now there's a coincidence, Ian!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Just like Steve got some colour on the hull. First I masked the hull just above where the copper colour will start from, then painted it

View attachment 88254

View attachment 88255

With there being a dark colour above this line that will cover the copper without it showing it was easier to do it this way View attachment 88256

View attachment 88257

Then I masked the copper colour to where it should end, once that was done I painted the copper over the top of the tape to stop any other colour running under the tape. View attachment 88258

Victory Challenge 3 001.JPG

Victory Challenge 3 002.JPG

Victory Challenge 3 003.JPG

Victory Challenge 3 004.JPG

Victory Challenge 3 005.JPG

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Awesome work Ian. That copper colour looks great over a large area! Also keen to see it finished for the promo shots and the post-promo sea scape. Should be good!

M

Mike

I'm looking forward to seeing this one finished! Glad to see more people picking up the challenge, who else is up for it??!?!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I thought about it and decided against because:

1) My Phantom is taking up - almost - all my modelling time.

2) I'm not good enough to get any reasonable results from this turkey!

3) I don't want any extra sales figures persuading Airfix to keep this thing on the market! Get shut of it and give new modellers some sensible starter sets that CAN be made into something good without needing superior modelling skills.

Gern

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
I take it your going to do the same then Ron. If so looking forward to your build thread
Sorry Ian, yes I am...just as soon as I can get hold of one for sensible money, bearing in mind the quality!