papa 695s Victory Challenge

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Sorry Ian, yes I am...just as soon as I can get hold of one for sensible money, bearing in mind the quality!
Don't forget Ron for top quality you need to pay top dollar ;) :P :P

M

Mike

Also, don't forget as I am the instigator, it's only £8... I am looking forward to your build thread ;)

M

Mike

I've finished painting now with my limited skills, just waiting for everything to dry so I can put it together. I am very much looking forward to seeing how on earth you do the black vs yellow lines! I've had a much much better crack, but I do not have a steady hand so it's not great...

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Mike, I paint the biggest raised yellow lines at the front/bow bit and at the arse end/back/stern/whatever you call it. I don't attempt the little window frames. I then tidy up by running the darker paint into the recessed areas. I used a fine brush or toothpick for various areas.The black (or dark brown in my case) will easily cover yellow.

I dry brushed the little window frames, just to lighten them up a little, same with the steps on the side of the ship.

It is still a work in progress and I wasn't going to update my thread until I got back next weekend, but in the interests of clarity I'm happy to show how it looks at the moment.

I'm sure Ian won't mind a slight and temporary hijack of his thread in the interest of sharing :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

M

Mike

Thanks Steve, looking forward to Ian's, these are great tips and I'm really appreciating the advice. Not tried dry brushing yet, but I can see where you've used it and it does seem a great way of getting those effects right. Unfortunately my unsteady hands look like this:

It's a *LOT* better than build 2 which is the first one I managed to paint, but my unsteady hand is the issue and it was too small to get masking tape down - the lines still look hand painted.

I really cannot believe this is a starter kit, I wonder how many kids have received this from well intentioned parents for Christmas and the realisation that it's just too difficult to get anywhere near the box has resulted in no other models being made.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Mike, I paint the biggest raised yellow lines at the front/bow bit and at the arse end/back/stern/whatever you call it. I don't attempt the little window frames. I then tidy up by running the darker paint into the recessed areas. I used a fine brush or toothpick for various areas.The black (or dark brown in my case) will easily cover yellow.I dry brushed the little window frames, just to lighten them up a little, same with the steps on the side of the ship.

It is still a work in progress and I wasn't going to update my thread until I got back next weekend, but in the interests of clarity I'm happy to show how it looks at the moment.

I'm sure Ian won't mind a slight and temporary hijack of his thread in the interest of sharing :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve
No problems at all Steve

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Have you tried Micro masking tape Michael? This comes in thin strips (a company called Jammy Dog does some only 0.5mm wide) which you may be able to fit. You can also get really thin tape from the cosmetics counter at your local pound shop - the ladies use it when painting patterns on their nails. Or at least, that's where Tony (Yakface) says he gets it from!

View attachment 88425

View attachment 88426

Gern

IMGP1364.JPG

IMGP1365.JPG

M

Mike

Oooh, 0.5mm! I was not aware of such a product, that would work perfectly! I am so taking a break after this build and doing something else, but once I've picked up some experience, I shall be trying again and it'll look fantastic!

M

Mike

Looking good! What's your plan for getting the black lines and cannons?

M

Mike

Any chance you can photo the masking itself? Having seen the 0.5mm tape, I'm curious how one would get the fine lines and Steve's already past that point...

S

Sky Raider

Wow, I don't think I have ever seen a Victory that small Ian. Your doing a cracking job mate.

Andy

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Any chance you can photo the masking itself? Having seen the 0.5mm tape, I'm curious how one would get the fine lines and Steve's already past that point...
I did it with strips of regular Tamiya masking tape. I used a 6mm roll (I think) but cut 2-2.5mm strips of it. I found it difficult to get it to stick cleanly due to the various moldings that pass for detail on the kit, so I sprayed at right angles to the masking and hoped for the best before making some touch ups.

Cheers

Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
I will show some pictures For you Michael

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
S

Sky Raider

Nice paint job mate. Looks like it was a nightmare to mask mate. This is why I always build big lol. I don't have the eye for this small stuff like you guys. Keep up the good work. Thanks for the welcome to mate. Its good to be back... bet I have missed a whole lot of fantastic work.

Cheers

Andy