Peter D's Luftwaffe Crew Bust

• Thread starter Deleted member 6559
  • Start date

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Well done on the helmet insignia, I guess there are decals out there somewhere?

No need, they look the part.

At first glance, you miss all the detail under the helmet, with the flying helmet and throat mike, very fine sculpt, well done releasing the detail, it could so easy be hidden.

Looks like the today will be a fun colour battle with the flight suit and life jacket.

Another chilly start to the day, but it is Autumn already.

Enjoy the painting and keep warm

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Morning Steve

Yes, there's quite a lot going on with the head. I've also added the attachment for the microphone lead at the back which needed to be in place before mounting the thing on the body. Not sure about the colours for the torso, so some experimenting required.

Went off for a Covid-19 test en famile yesterday. My son was feeling a bit peaky and what with college looming and his friends off to university we felt it would be best to check. Bizarre experience, being shouted at through the windscreen by black-clad 'paramilitaries'. Anyway, in isolation 'til we get the results, which should be some time today.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’m in for this one looks interesting seated by Steve and JR.

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

A quiet day?

Hope you are all OK and got a negative result?

The weather is still bad and is pouring down, but warm!

I guess you might pass by your work space and try some paint?

Hope its a good day with the colours

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Welcome. If you could stop Steve and John giggling it would be a great help.

Steve - The Covid-19 tests were negative, so it looks like it's just a bout of 'flu. I was feeling so rough yesterday that I couldn't lift a paintbrush. I managed to find some 1/10 helmet decals on line, so I did remove the hand-painted eagle badge, but that was all. Hopefully some quiet bench time today (wife at work!). Bloody awful weather here too.

Ian - Many thanks. Long way to go.......

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 6559

The front of the life-vest:

100_8155.JPG

I had intended to make the vest less yellow, but Vallejo Buff is one of those deceptive pigments that takes time to dry, then dries lighter than you'd intended. I'm not bothered though, as some of the reference shows them even yellower than this. I gave the sleeves a priming coat of black, as I found that I needed a sharp edge to work against.

The back of the life-vest next, which is fortunately half covered by the parachute.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. Look very impressive. Your on your on with those two clowns lol

Jack L

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jack
The front of the life-vest:

View attachment 397310

I had intended to make the vest less yellow, but Vallejo Buff is one of those deceptive pigments that takes time to dry, then dries lighter than you'd intended. I'm not bothered though, as some of the reference shows them even yellower than this. I gave the sleeves a priming coat of black, as I found that I needed a sharp edge to work against.

The back of the life-vest next, which is fortunately half covered by the parachute.
Life preserver looks spot on colour wise!

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
Glad you had negative results. I'm with Mick. The face is better than the box art.
Jim

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - Oh come on, I need all the help I can get!

Jack - Thanks for the thumbs up.

Jim - Glad it's only 'flu (I think). Thanks re the face.

Lee Drennen

SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Peter. I’ll do my best my friend

SteveH

SMF Supporter
First Name
Stephen
Morning Peter

Hopefully you're feeling a bit better today?

Lovely work on the life jacket, such subtle shading, is it khaki on the flight suit?

Looks like a bit of better weather at the moment, but cooler to come!

Have another good day with the paints and a speedy recovery to everyone

Regards

Steve H

D

Deleted member 6559

Lee - :thumb2:

Steve - Still feeling pretty rotten, but no worse thank you. My son Owen is feeling pretty sorry for himself - funny how bid brawny eighteen year-olds need their mum at times like this.

As I'm using khaki for the parachute I'm going to try something slightly browner for the flight suit. Today's session will involve painting the back of the life jacket and perhaps the parachute.

Andy - Thank you.

D

Deleted member 6559

I've now painted the back of the life-vest and the parachute:

100_8161.JPG100_8162.JPG100_8163.JPG

I also added the separate parachute straps at the shoulders. Painting the parachute was pretty arduous, especially making sure that I picked out all of the seams and stitching. It's quite unusual for a Young Miniatures bust to be so detailed at the back.

Next, the arms smaller parts.