Pete's Hasegawa 1/72 FW190

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I know I told everybody at Cosford that I wasn't going to join this GB, but on the last lap of the show I spotted this 1/72 Hasegawa FW190A going for 99p - labelled as incomplete, but the seller didn't know what was missing, so I bought it for spares. Having had a look at it though, I think it is all there, but has an incomplete sprue from another version of the same kit in the box!
P1140926.JPGP1140927.JPGThere are two of the sprue that has the bomb and the drop tank on, the grey version of that sprue is missing the seat and the undercarriage legs, but the green sprue is complete. There's a little damage - the pitot is broken, but I'd probably have broken it anyway when building.P1140928.JPG
And two sets of rather nice decals!
P1140929.JPG
Oh well, must get the Spitfire finished, and the Panzer... my "no holds barred" version of the starter set will have to wait, and the Shackleton will just have to keep glaring at me from the top of stash number 4! Should get this one started in a few days.

Pete

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
99p, can't go wrong, the decals are probably worth more than that. Great find.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Right, no excuse than, I'd better get on with it. Hasegawa have been less than helpful with the colours - does anyone know what brand of paint they might be referring to with e.g. "18 black green", "17 dark green","20 light blue", "61 RLM gray"?
P1140977.JPG

I suppose I could crib from my recent Eduard 190 build, but I want to use the Hasegawa decals for Colonel Herman Graf's plane, which isn't in the Eduard schemes.

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Peter
I hope this throws up fewer problems than your Starter Set Spitfire. The sprue shots look a bit simplified. Half the canopy seems to be moulded to a fuselage half :rolling: I think the kit is over 25 years old and for 99p I suppose you can't expect too much.
I shall enjoy seeing how it goes.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
It looks a pretty simple kit Jim. The bit that looks like canopy framing on the fuselage half is the brace behind the pilot's seat, the canopy framing is moulded on the clear parts.
Yes, should be fun for lass than a quid!

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
The bit that looks like canopy framing on the fuselage half is the brace behind the pilot's seat
Looking closer I see now - thought it was odd.
One thing about these cheap kits is that when you got a decent result there is a great sense of achievement.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Not totally convinced the references are to Mr Color, but that doesn't matter yet. Thought I'd get on with some details while the paint is drying on the Spitfire, so cleaned up and painted the pilot, brushed some RLM66 onto the cockpit interior, then tried a dry fit with the seat in place... which was so good I taped it together and ran some Extra Thin into the joins:P1140978.JPG
I'm (almost) sure the pilot can go in from above, and the IP from below. The IP is flat, and there's a decal supplied, but it's too wide. Better that than too small I suppose, although whether the black dials will be visible against the RLM66 background is another matter. I'll be closing the cockpit, since there isn't any detail to show.

Thanks for watching,
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Some progress; IP and pilot in place, wings and tail added, as well as the pylon for the drop tank.
P1140994.JPG
A last look at Herman before the canopy goes on:
P1140995.JPG
The IP isn't too bad, is it?
Canopy on:
P1140996.JPG
Not much left to do now - should start to get some paint on tomorrow. There might be a slight delay, as I haven't got the RLM 71 I need for the uppers.

Thanks for watching
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Pete
Fit looks good. It's gone together quickly. Makes it a real bargain. Primer and paint next.
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Fit is superb Jim, the wing just clipped together, and clipped into place. One problem is that a number of parts that have a thin edge, such as the trailing edge of the rudder, and the prop, have a bit of flash, and it's hard to tell where the flash stops and the thin edge starts, if that makes sense.
Just ordered some Vallejo RLM71 from John, together with some of the Microscale liquid decal film. The decal for the IP seemed very brittle, and I don't want to take any chances with the larger decals!

Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Let's hope the decals are ok Peter, and not suffering from age.
Looks a decent model now you have it assembled.
John .

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
That's looking really nice. 99p, I still can't believe it.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looks a decent model now you have it assembled.
It's simplified John, but very well engineered - very few ejector marks, and they're in places that don't matter. Same with the sprue gates, which are in easy places to tidy up. There are a few sink marks here and there, but nothing a drop of Mr Surfacer can't fill. It needed just a smear of PPP around the fuel tank pylon and the wing fairing.
It's now had a coat of primer all over, and the underside has had a coat of RLM02. I'll let that cure overnight before masking for the upper surfaces.
P1140999.JPG
The u/c bays need to be RLM66, but I'll brush those later. The cowl assembly has the prop attached, so I'll brush that as well - I don't like masking props!

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Looking good Pete. I think you are wise to strengthen up the decals. I once had some in an old Eastern Express kit that just dissolved!!
Jim

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The timeline on Scalemates is interesting - it seems to date from 1976, with new parts in '77 and '94.
Pete

Reactions: JR

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
It's simplified John, but very well engineered -
Most of the earlier hasegawa stuff was pete , not very detailed in places like cockpits but usually fitted together very nicely and lovely sharp trailing edges . Great start and fast too its going to look very nice when its painted and decalled. This looks like one of grafs earlier machines , i think he had either partial yellow or full yellow cowlings on his later ones , still with the red triangles though.