Pete's Revell Hurricane

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I don't think I've ever built a Hurricane, but I picked this up at a show a couple of years ago and now seems a good time to build it.
P1150927.JPG
Not bad for a fiver, although the paints seem to have congealed, and the double-ended brush is rusty!
P1150929.JPG
There's some flash, but doesn't look too terrible.
P1150930.JPGP1150931.JPGP1150932.JPG

Decals look nice
P1150934.JPG
The instructions are in a strange format, folded at the top:
P1150933.JPG
Thanks for watching
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Pete, I built this for the 'Starter Set G.B'. last year.
It's a great kit and a pleasure to build.

Oops! Just testing you. I built the Mk. 1...... :upside:

Still a great kit though.

Ron

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm getting worried. First I built a DO-17. Now I'm building a Hurricane, and I've just BRUSH PAINTED the interior! Ron, you're a bad influence! :tongue-out2:

P1150935.JPG
Thanks for your comment though Ron!
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
As ron says this is a great kit pete . Before the Arma Hurricanes came along this was considered one of the best hurricane IIs in 1/72 scale and it only really needs a set of seat belts adding to get a really nicely detailed model.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
:disappointed2:
I've just realised this is a Mark IIC, which first flew in December 1940, so it's really too late for the BoB. Could someone move it out of the GB please, or shall I just not tell anyone?
Pete

Reactions: JR

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Pete, Hang on old lad!

I'm probably way off, but I would have thought just replacing the cannons with 8 holes for Mk.I machine guns would be acceptable.... Oh, and leave the front scoop whatsit and those underwing tank thingies off!

Over to Colin, me thinks.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
I'm getting worried. First I built a DO-17. Now I'm building a Hurricane, and I've just BRUSH PAINTED the interior! Ron, you're a bad influence! :tongue-out2:

View attachment 395221
Thanks for your comment though Ron!
Pete
Looking good Pete. To be honest honest I've just brush painted the interior of my Spit and 109. There was no point getting the hissy stick for such shall areas that are largely hidden from exterior view.

Just don't tell Ron though it might go to his head!!

Keep up the good work.

Andrew

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Pete, Hang on old lad!

I'm probably way off, but I would have thought just replacing the cannons with 8 holes for Mk.I machine guns would be acceptable.... Oh, and leave the front scoop whatsit and those underwing tank thingies off!

Over to Colin, me thinks.
Oi, less of the old! Thanks for the suggestion though.
Easy enough to leave a few bits off, and I wouldn't even need holes for the MGs, just the appropriate red patches, but I think the fuselage was lengthened, and the codes would still be wrong, but I was given a pile of RAF decals a while ago and might have something more suitable.
I'll PM Colin.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Right, Colin replied that he's pretty relaxed about the mark. It is after all a Hurricane, and they fought in the BoB, which didn't suddenly end on the 30th October. Thanks Colin.
The decal schemes in the kit are both from 1944 though, and one is in Egypt, one in India, which seem a bit late as well as a bit far away!
I had a look in my box of decals (thrown in with a purchase of a load of paints from a modeller on here a few years ago) and found this:
P1150941.JPG
P3069 was possibly flown by Pilot Officer B.Bielkiewicz and crashed 13th February 1941 after colliding with a tree near Buntingsdale, although there is some doubt about the accuracy of that - some sources state that P3069 was never assigned to 303 squadron. Never mind, it's good enough for me.
These decals seem to be from an Airfix kit released in the 1990s, so might be a bit fragile. I'll try the ones I'm not going to use first. They can always have a dose of Liquid Decal Film.
In other news, I've got the wings on. The fit was pretty terrible, with a big gap underneath one side and on top on the other side. I shovelled some Humbrol filler into the gaps
P1150937.JPGP1150938.JPG
There were a few dodgy seams, which have had a dose of Mr Dissolved Putty. While sanding all this down I came across some odd blemishes on the port wing - the mould must have been damaged.
P1150940.JPG
Easy enough to remove though.
More later
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good save Pete!

The Arma Hobbies Hurricane I'm building has the Polish 303 Sqn. decals too. Mine is RF E (P3901)

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
The decals look fine to me pete , i dont think youll have any trouble with them . Cheers tony

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Another bonus - the Revell instructions show which of the parts on the sprues are not used. The seem to be parts for an earlier version - the smaller air intake, different exhausts, but there are two parts that I'm not sure of the purpose - the small rectangular parts 40 and 41 here:
P1150943.JPG
Does anyone know what these are for? My best guess was radiator shutters, but they're quite a bit wider than the radiator.
I've shaved off the cannon blisters, and I think I have a cunning plan to add two more cartridge ejection slots. Nice of Airfix to include red patches to cover the MGs. I'll just need to make some dents in the leading edges.
Pete

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Pete,
On the instructions these parts are shaded in black. It means they are not used. (Which I feel sure you would know anyway)

I believe Specsavers are doing a special two for one this w/end. Can I give you a lift there? :tongue-out3:

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: JR

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Pete :thumb2: , think the kit is the old Matchbox, maybe you can find some instructions on Scalemates for the parts?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Ron, the shaded parts are not used on the mark IIc, so they're for the mk 1 that I'm trying to build.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Fernando, that's a good idea. Maybe I can find instructions for the mk1., although I think Colin has the right answer.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Ron, the shaded parts are not used on the mark IIc, so they're for the mk 1 that I'm trying to build.

Oop! Sorry.... :sad-face:

Pete, I've had a look at my finished 1/72 Revell Mk.1 and I can't find anything external resembling those two parts.

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, I can't find instructions for the Mk 1 or for a night fighter version, but Colin's suggestions is probably right, so parts 40 and 41 will go in the spares box.
Pete