Pete's Stummel

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I was going to build a 1/48 plane next, but this fell off the pile and I couldn't be bothered to put it back:
P1150176.JPG
A Hasegawa 1/72 Sd.Kfz.234/3 8-RAD Schwere Panzerspahwagen, 'Stummel' for short.
P1150177.JPG
I like armoured cars - no canopy, and no tracks! Seems to have quite a few parts, certainly more than the Vampire.
Hope they all fit.
Pete

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Yet Another vehicle I’d like to build! Interested to see how it goes together:smiling4:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Afternoon Pete,

Looks a nice kit with lots of detail so I'll sit in if I may…..

According to the thread title though, wouldn't a new razor blade take care of the problem???

I'll get me coat...……………………………..

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
interesting vehicle, count me in sir

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I'm rather impressed with this kit. There's NO flash that I can see, just some visible seam lines in some places, easily removed with a couple of scrapes with a scalpel. The engineering is good too, with many of the sprue attachments being out of sight when assembled. Plenty of fine detail on the suspension:
P1150179.JPG
and in the interior, though those ejector marks might need some work:
P1150180.JPG
The wheels and tyres are separate, so I've painted the tyres.
P1150178.JPG
For some reason, the tyres on 2 of the wheels are different from the other 7 (including the spare), hence the '5' and '6' on the rolled paper used to hold them for painting.
So, the first 20 or so parts are together, so I'm taking a break while the cement dries.
P1150181.JPG
Thanks for watching.
Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Settling in for this.

And I've already learned something. Rolled up paper for supporting tyres. So simple it's genius.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Arrived just in time Pete. Off to a great start. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
These Hasegawa kits are quite good, certainly the later ones. The early ones are a bit iffy on the details, and the tanks usually have poor tracks, but I’ve never found one with flash or fit problems.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I'm in , shall sit with Dude 1, and the rest of the Rabble.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
As the charmingly mistranslated instructions say "After making it dry enough, it advances to the following distance", so I let things dry for a while, then advanced to "An indoor assembly", i.e. the interior.
P1150182.JPG
The angle of the steering wheel for the forward driving position looks odd, but it's correct, according to a walkaround at https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/sd-kfz-234-3/
The underside currently looks like this:
P1150184.JPG
Nicely detailed. The instruction suggest adding the wheels at this stage, but I'll leave them until some painting has been done. I think I'll spray some sandgelb on the inside before adding the upper hull.
Pete

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
The steering wheels on many of these kinds of German vehicles were like that, yes. The SdKfz 250 and 251 halftracks had them the same way, for example. It saves space and lets the driver get in and out more easily in a hurry, at the expense of requiring more effort to turn the wheel.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The gun is complete, and I've fitted the inner halves of the wheels - I'll paint the outer halves separately.
Inside has had a coat of sandgelb, as well as a bit of drybrushing, but I the camera has swallowed the photo.
P1150189.JPG
Not much more assembly to do now, but quite a bit of painting.
Pete

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking good. That's one way to assure all wheels hit the ground even. There were two tread designs used on these vehicles, so to see both on a vehicle was not unusual. Stores on fenders and std. antennae mount were also subject to change. Is the co-ax there or yet to come? I couldn't make it out. PaulE

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yet to come Paul. As well as the two tread designs there seem to be two different wheels - the 2nd one back on each side looks to have a couple of cut-outs. These aren't shown on the box art or the painting guide.
Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Stubble, Stubble, Stubble, Bubble, Bubble, Trouble, Ah, Ah, Rubble, Gravel, Cobble Stones, Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin...….Sorry, way too hard Pete!!!!!!!!!!!

Looking real good Peter and the details on this really stand out. Great job using the anti 'John Race' safety glue bottle to keep it level on the ground. You can't be careful enough these days and we wouldn't want the 234 going up in flames now, would we!!! Top Job Sir!!!

Prost
Allen