Pete's Vampire T11

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Some progress; Started assembly of the jet intakes.
P1170575.JPG
The next stage is to add the one-piece upper wing, but I've just discovered the first serious problem with this kit - a large sink mark on each of the ailerons.
P1170573.JPGP1170574.JPG
They've had a skin of Humbrol filler, which I'll try to sand tomorrow.
It's also very noticeable that my jar of Tamiya matt aluminium has gone grainy, so I'll be opening a new jar when I start the serious painting.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Sanded the first layer of filler:
P1170576.JPG
Just a tiny bit more filler needed, so I added some Mr Dissolved Putty. Popped into a model shop that I know sells Mr Hobby paints, hoping to find some aqueous fluorescent orange, but that's been discontinued, so I had to settle for Mr Color. If I'm using that, I might as well use their aluminium as well. (Pleased to see they spell it properly!)
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Filling done and sanded, and wing attached to fuselage - the trouble with a one piece upper wing is that there are so many places where the fit can be a bit less than desired. The intakes could really do with being a little further back, but I might be able to sand them back a bit when the cement has set hard. In the meantime they can have a night of bondage:
P1170577.JPG
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Made a bit more progress today. The tail boom assembly looked really scary
P1170580.JPG
but actually went quite well.
P1170578.JPGP1170579.JPG
Needed a smear of PPP along the wing roots, but that's done now, as well as adding the main gear doors.
Hopefully I should be able to put some primer on tomorrow.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Most of my builds seem to involve a drama at some stage, and this one is no exception.
I don't usually clean models before painting, or prime them, but as I'd sprayed most of the Vampire with a very old jar of Tamiya Flat Aluminium which seemed to have 'gone off', I thought I'd better do both. So, I cleaned of as much of the Tamiya paint as I could using cotton buds dipped in IPA, left it overnight to dry then gave the model a spray of white Stynylrez. However the Stynylrez crazed as it dried. I thought I could sand it smooth again, but in many places it's just flaking off as I try to sand it.
P1170581.JPGP1170582.JPGP1170583.JPG
Has anyone else had this problem with Stynylrez?
Also does anyone know a good solvent for it - IPA doesn't touch it.
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That's a really nice kit Peter. I built it in 2019 as part of the Starter Kit GB, mind I paid a lot more than you did. Looks like it's going well apart from the Stynylrez issue. I use that primer and never had a problem. I hope you can sort it.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Bit of a shame Peter. This was looking good so I hope you can salvage it. If IPA isn’t working you could try methylated spirits or fairy power spray. Neither should attack the plastic. I’ve used FPS without issue to take off acrylics, but obviously test it first. If that doesn’t work you could try something like Vallejo airbrush cleaner.

Edited because it needs to say methylated spirits……mentholated will just make it smell nice LOL…..

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow, that's a shame Pete. All your hard work to get her together and then this. I'm sure a man with your skills can sort it out and get a nice base coat on her and then bring her to the finish line!

Prost
Allen

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
This might be a write-off.:anguished:
Fairy Power spray has no effect at all. Meths had some effect but very slow and needed a lot of scrubbing. Vallejo airbrush cleaner seemed better but again needed scrubbing. Since that worked, how about another airbrush cleaner? Spraycraft worked instantly... buy attacked the plastic underneath! Leaving it to dry now, and I'll try to sand it later but if it's gone too far the kit'll go in the bin. Along with the Stynylrez. :angry:
Pete

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
This might be a write-off.:anguished:
Fairy Power spray has no effect at all. Meths had some effect but very slow and needed a lot of scrubbing. Vallejo airbrush cleaner seemed better but again needed scrubbing. Since that worked, how about another airbrush cleaner? Spraycraft worked instantly... buy attacked the plastic underneath! Leaving it to dry now, and I'll try to sand it later but if it's gone too far the kit'll go in the bin. Along with the Stynylrez. :angry:
Pete
If you build Dio's, perhaps you could use it as a crashed exhibit and paint it as if it had crashed and burned!Underside could be buried in grass/sand whatever and the canopy off and seat out, (jettisoned). Just a suggestion to avoid totally scrapping your work!!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Nice idea Doug thanks, but I don't do dios. I don't know why, they always fascinate me, but I just have no desire to make my own.

Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
What a shame , it was looking great pete. Hope you can sort it . Cheers tony

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You mentioned your problems at the show yesterday Pete. It looks a lot worse than you talked about! I wouldn't put so much effort into repairing the damage except to find solutions to the problem so you know what to do should it happen again.

I don't know why you didn't just buy one of the 20-30 replacement kits we showed you at the show though. There's just no helping some folks! :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Yes, it's good to have friends Dave. Was it only 20 - 30 Vampires you all pointed out to me though, it seemed like more?

My Vampire looks a lot better now though, with the effects of the Spraycraft cleaner sanded, and the Stynylrez stripped with meths and about 30 cotton buds of various shapes.
Gave a lot of thought to what might have caused the problem. Stynylrez is used by a lot of people without trouble, and indeed I've used it before, although I've only used this particular bottle by brushing. I always leave a little IPA in my airbrush between sessions, and Stynylrez definitely doesn't like IPA, so although I thought I'd blown it all out, there might have been a very small amount left. Perhaps a more likely cause though is that I used an alcohol wipe to go over the model. These wipes were given to me by a supplier of industrial adhesives (think gluing 1:1 cars together) and are said to contain only 99,9% pure IPA, but the other 0,1% isn't specified.
I think I'll use Mr Surfacer on the Vampire and maybe try the Stynylrez on an old sprue before I risk it on a model again. I certainly won't use Spraycraft airbrush cleaner on a model again though, it seemed to have the same effect as if I'd spilled TET on the model.

Pete

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Yes, it's good to have friends Dave. Was it only 20 - 30 Vampires you all pointed out to me though, it seemed like more?

My Vampire looks a lot better now though, with the effects of the Spraycraft cleaner sanded, and the Stynylrez stripped with meths and about 30 cotton buds of various shapes.
Gave a lot of thought to what might have caused the problem. Stynylrez is used by a lot of people without trouble, and indeed I've used it before, although I've only used this particular bottle by brushing. I always leave a little IPA in my airbrush between sessions, and Stynylrez definitely doesn't like IPA, so although I thought I'd blown it all out, there might have been a very small amount left. Perhaps a more likely cause though is that I used an alcohol wipe to go over the model. These wipes were given to me by a supplier of industrial adhesives (think gluing 1:1 cars together) and are said to contain only 99,9% pure IPA, but the other 0,1% isn't specified.
I think I'll use Mr Surfacer on the Vampire and maybe try the Stynylrez on an old sprue before I risk it on a model again. I certainly won't use Spraycraft airbrush cleaner on a model again though, it seemed to have the same effect as if I'd spilled TET on the model.

Pete

Onwards and upwards then Pete! Looking forward to the finished kit.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking a lot better after stripping the stynylrez and a coat of Mr Surfacer 1200.
P1170587.JPGUnfortunately scrubbing off the crazed stynylrez with meths and cotton buds also removed some of the filler on the seams, so they need a bit more work. It'll come out OK though I think.
Pete

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Great to see you didn't give up on her, Pete!!! You'll win the fight in the end for sure...If not, just nick Tony's kit when he's not looking!!!

Prost
Allen

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Peter
Great progress on the Vampire and the little set back is you’ve had is very close to being remedied (with your perseverance). The kit looks like a good one to my eyes and the work you’ve done in the office is definitely worth the effort. I’d say your mojo is well and truly back!
Looking forward to the progress
Cheers, P

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Agree with Paul , good recovery . Unlike Tim thought ab cleaner, I used some to clean off paint from figures and was impressed .Glad it's back on the go .