Pete's Vampire T11

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well John the Spraycraft AB cleaner certainly worked - pity it dissolved the plastic as well! It was like Tamiya Extra Thin in a spraycan!
Pete

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Well John the Spraycraft AB cleaner certainly worked - pity it dissolved the plastic as well! It was like Tamiya Extra Thin in a spraycan!
Pete
My God , heavens knows what it does to seals then Pete.
I use VMS , seems a little more gentle!

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pete
To be fair, I did say Vallejo airbrush cleaner……that stuff sounds like cellulose thinners, which will take off the paint and then start on the plastic….glad you sorted it though. It was too good to bin.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
To be fair, I did say Vallejo airbrush cleaner……that stuff sounds like cellulose thinners, which will take off the paint and then start on the plastic….glad you sorted it though. It was too good to bin.
You did indeed Tim; Vallejo cleaner seemed to be having some effect, but very slowly, so I tried the mildest of my other AB cleaners, the Spraycraft, which is milder than either Mr Tool CLeaner or Liquid Reamer. It doesn't have the distinctive smell of cellulose thinners.
Just looked up the Safety Data Sheet and it seems to be based on acetone and xylene, so I'm not surprised it dissolves polystyrene! Filed under "Things I wish I'd known"...
Pete

Edit: Vallejo a/b cleaner contains 3-butoxyethanol.

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Good to hear that your managed to rescue it Pete!

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
A good rescue, Pete. I wouldn't have known where to start.
John.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The Vampire woes continue...
I gave it a couple of coats of Mr Color aluminium, thinned with their standard thinners. Left it a few days to make sure it was really dry. Started masking this morning, and noticed a silver thumbprint on the first piece of tape I put down. Looked at my fingers, and they're covered with a thin layer of silver paint!
P1170588.JPG
I've given it a coat of Galeria gloss and will try masking again when that's had a chance to dry. I just hope the Mr Color fluorescent orange won't react with the Galeria.
What else can go wrong?

Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This one really is fighting back isn’t it…….

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
This is really fighting you Pete!

Was it Mr Metal Color by any chance? I have some of those and even once dry they can "shed" metallic particles as they are designed to be burnished / polished after application for a true metal finish.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This is really fighting you Pete!

Was it Mr Metal Color by any chance? I have some of those and even once dry they can "shed" metallic particles as they are designed to be burnished / polished after application for a true metal finish.
Good call Andy. The old Humbrol Metalcote range were similar I seem to remember…..

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Thanks Andy, it is indeed Mr Metal Color, so that explains it. Oh well, it's varnished now.

Tim, I knew Humbrol Metalcote could be polished, but I've never had it come off on my fingers.

Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I hope the gloss coat seals the aluminium. This is certainly testing your patience.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I hope the gloss coat seals the aluminium.
It did - partly. Stopped it coming off on my fingers, but when I removed the masking patches of the silver came off as well. With hindsight, that was bound to happen wasn't it. Also a bit of the fluo orange came off as the tape lifted the silver underneath. I think I won't try to touch it up, I'll give it another coat of Galeria then add the decals, take a few pics then bin it.
P1170589.JPG
It looks a lot worse 'in the flesh'.
Pete

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Like a true vampire this one has come back from the dead to bite you again pete ( although not in the neck :dizzy:;)) shame as it was looking nice , maybe best to look on the build as an experiment in paint properties , some valuable lessons to be taken from this for all of us . The good news is that these Airfix Vampires are plentiful so you can soon get another one:confounded:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Well, it was going to go in the bin, but I just couldn't bring myself to chuck it away - after all, I did splash out £3.99 on it!
I wasn't able to sand off all the damage to the plastic caused by the a/b cleaner, and some of the aluminium paint had come off with the masking tape, but the decals and a coat of satin varnish later, it doesn't look too bad from the usual viewing distance, if you squint a bit...
P1170590.JPG
I'll put some more pics up in Completed Aircraft.
Pete

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Super Save Sir!!!...Looks fine to me!!!...