Project Merlin

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh we know the feelings you are having. Take care and try to think of the great life you gave to Colin.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
For some, losing a dog is like losing a child, and I'll have words with anyone who challenges that. It being "expected" makes no difference. The bit I find most heartbreaking is that they don't lose any love, or happiness, even when they're ill. Personally, I think the aliens are waiting for them to take over before visiting us.

Pour out your feelings when and where you need to my friend, if it helps you deal with it, and of course best wishes from another cynophilist.

Thanks Andy. I really appreciate that - cheers.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
I'm so sorry. My thoughts are with you and your wife. I know how you feel having been in the same position. You have given the little fellow the best life you could. Now enjoy and cherish the time you have left and when the time comes you will know and hard as it will be you'll do what is right for Colin.
Jim

Thanks Jim. Much appreciated. Yes, he knows we unconditionally love him to bits.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
I’m so sorry to hear this Paul. We’ve just gone through it with our old tabby, a true friend for eighteen years, so I know exactly how you feel. Try to enjoy what time you have left and do what’s best for him when you have to. Animals give us unconditional love and unbounded joy so that is our part of the bargain.

Thanks Tim. Much appreciated. The emotional hurt is already on par to when I unexpectedly lost my only brother 13 years ago. We will, thanks.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hello Folks, :cool:

I haven't really been in the woodworking zone during the last week, but I have done a little bit. I was scheduling the next update for when the build was in its completed skeletal form, but today, I just fancied having a go with the new backdrop, so I've taken a few photos of current progress. I'm not 100% happy with the photos, so I am going to reposition the backdrop and introduce better lighting for the next photo shoot.

I would also like to say thanks to one and all for your kind words over the situation with our wonderful and much loved dog, Colin. My wife and I have pretty much accepted the situation now and although Colin is absolutely fine and his normal self at the moment, we know this is going to change anytime soon or over the coming months. He is currently happy, stress free and surrounded by plenty of love. We are keeping calm and carrying on with a normal routine for him.

Here are partially made frames 1, 2, 3 and rear frame standing on their own free will of balance on the base. Just in case anyone wonders, the larger horizontal mortices are to receive the roofing head plates. This would normally be a continuous piece, probably housed, or halved with a complex junction of maybe a stub square tenon or similar. I've opted for a less complicated junction purely due to size and my eyesight isn't what it once was.

57.jpg

And here are the remaining photos showing various angles of the tapered porch posts in situ, the front frame made (excluding braces and smaller studs) and partially made frames 1, 2, 3 and rear frame. Again, everything here is standing on its own free will of balance, which was very pleasing.

58.jpg

59.jpg

60.jpg

61.jpg

62.jpg

63.jpg

64.jpg

65.jpg

66.jpg

67.jpg

68.jpg

69.jpg

Thanks for looking. :thumb2:

Cheers.
:cool:

Last edited:

Strenko J

Faithful rabble apprentice
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Paul lovely work on your build

and I am so sorry to hear about little Colin. My wife and I have been there a number of times with our dogs over the years and we lost our little Lucy (border collie aussie mix) three years ago to complications of diabetes and there is not a day that goes by that we don’t think of her and miss her. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HELLO Paul an we are very sorry to hear about your little colin an we also know how you both feel havin lost some of our pets so all best
chris an jen

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Great update. Photos are nice and clear. All looking very neat and sorted. I wouldn't know where to start on a project like this.
Jim

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I am so sorry to hear this I have lost two wonderful dogs in the past and it hurts. Our present woof is a rescue dog we have had for 14 years and is now an old man but I have never know a dog like him there isn't a bad bone in his body.

Our thoughts are with you.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Paul lovely work on your build

and I am so sorry to hear about little Colin. My wife and I have been there a number of times with our dogs over the years and we lost our little Lucy (border collie aussie mix) three years ago to complications of diabetes and there is not a day that goes by that we don’t think of her and miss her. Thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

Thanks Joe, really appreciated, and very sorry to read about your loss of little Lucy. I'm sure we will be the same for years after as well. It's a real heart breaker.

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
Great update. Photos are nice and clear. All looking very neat and sorted. I wouldn't know where to start on a project like this.
Jim

Thanks Jim. Oh good, I wasn't sure if they're a bit grainy. I'm going to try and improve on the lighting for the next shoot. :thumb2:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
I am so sorry to hear this I have lost two wonderful dogs in the past and it hurts. Our present woof is a rescue dog we have had for 14 years and is now an old man but I have never know a dog like him there isn't a bad bone in his body.

Our thoughts are with you.

Thanks Paul. Indeed it certainly does hurt. Here's hoping your dear old chap has a few more years in him. It's such a shame they can't live as long as us humans. Cheers.