Project Merlin

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Morning Paul.
Some neat sections on the bench awaiting further work.like the glass beads you have obtained.

I see you have been drawn in to the world of the TBC, they are well known for such subterfuge in obtaining members. Be aware next year's subscription will probably mean you will have to sell your soul to the devil at the crossroads.

Morning John, yes, I'm hoping the holes in the glass beads are going to be large enough for a small LED to fit into. I did some homework before buying them - fingers crossed.

Haha, indeed - the TBC. The secretary and myself have exchanged a few promising emails. :smiling:

Last edited:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
Already the work is impressive. Very neat and tidy.

Are all the joints made using hand tools or do you have some sort of machine?
Jim

Hi Jim, thanks very much. :smiling4:

Yes, all hand tool work so far, although I still have a small bandsaw and bench mortiser from the old workshop days. Although, I used to use the mortiser as a pillar drill instead of a morticing machine. With so many mortises to chop out, I might rig up the old mortiser, but all the tenons will be cut by hand. I'm also contemplating making my own bricks and roofing tiles from the oak construction veneer. If so, I shall clean up the bandsaw for ripping down. I've calculated about 1,600 brick slips. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Paul

Just had a quick catch-up. It's very impressive - and that's just your workshop! ;)

The start of the build is also looking good so far.

ATB.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hey, there’s a Perishers fan in the house.....you’ve just name dropped the Bloodhound Jim! Next up, the eyeballs in the sky!

HI Tim yea im a Perishers fan also got a big book with them all in love the eyeballs in the sky lark where they was goin to launch a brave crabonaught beyond the relms of the pooliverse that cartoon strip had me thinkin an laughin for days an still does but in my opinion its not as good as it used to be but still funny an cheers me up what with all the rest of them
chris ps sorry paul for hijackin your thread on this
chris

Last edited:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Paul

Just had a quick catch-up. It's very impressive - and that's just your workshop! ;)

The start of the build is also looking good so far.

ATB.

Andrew

Thanks Andrew. Yep, the workshop is always organised and tidy - tidy 'shop, tidy mind is my geeky philosophical methodical OCD approach. :nerd:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
HI Tim yea im a Perishers fan also got a big book with them all in love the eyeballs in the sky lark where they was goin to launch a brave crabonaught beyond the relms of the pooliverse that cartoon strip had me thinkin an laughin for days an still does but in my opinion its not as good as it used to be but still funny an cheers me up what with all the rest of them
chris ps sorry paul for hijackin your thread on this
chris

No worries ole chap. I haven't a clue what you guys are going on about, but I laughed anyway. :smiling:

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Update No. 3.

FRONT & REAR FRAME DRY ASSEMBLIES

With over 200 mortices to make throughout the project, I decided to set up the small bench morticer from my old workshop when I was making furniture professionally. I mainly used this machine as a pillar drill and not a morticer, which meant all the chisels have had little use and are still razor sharp.

Here it is set up in the garden on a small table as a sit down job - perfect. :cool:
28.jpg

Before moving on with the joints, I've now glued up all 4 tapered posts which I showed in the previous update as a dry assembly. I wasn't sure whether to paint the joint dividers black or leave them in the natural oak. I've gone with the black as per drawings and painted them before glue assembly. I'm very pleased with the result.
29.jpg

The pair on the left with the mortices are for the rear frame and the pair on the right with no mortices are for the porch.
30.jpg

Moving on with the frames, and first up is the front frame with all of the joints made and ready for a trial run of dry assembly. Please note; the joints will look much neater when they are glued/cramped and the frames have been cleaned up with a sharp block plane and 400g sand paper.

I'm using mortice & tenon joints throughout the project. On a full size scale, these joints would have one, two or three hardwood pins (predominantly oak) through the complete joint, known as 'draw-bore pins' or pegs. This old traditional method is designed to permanently pull the joint firmly together. I will be drilling 2mm pins through all of the joints at a later stage, which will be more authentic than structural.

Below is a 2mm hardwood dowel I shall be using as the draw-bore pins throughout the build.
49.jpg

The ground & first floor of the front frame.
35.jpg

The roof truss.
36.jpg

The complete frame excluding the braces and narrow studs.
37.jpg

38.jpg

Standing in position on its base.
39.jpg

And here is the rear frame - again, the joints will look much neater when they are all glued and the frames are sand paper finished.
40.jpg

41.jpg

The ground floor.
42.jpg

The ground & first floor.
43.jpg

I'm using a king post and split collar arrangement. In a full size project, this joint would normally include a loose spline connecting the split collar through the mortice of the king post with a series of draw-bore pins, but I am opting for a slightly easier method by using stub tenons on the connection of the king post and split collar.
44.jpg

The complete frame excluding the braces and narrow studs.
46.jpg

Amazingly, the frame stood unaided as a dry assembly.
47.jpg

I'm signing off this instalment with the installation of a new back drop for better photos during the various stages of the build, and of course, the final photos of Project Merlin standing in all its spendour.

The plan was to suspend the back drop from the beams of the dining room ceiling as and when I need it - and this is exactly what I've done.
Here is the dining room with the adjoining workshop door of hats - The Man Cave.
51.jpg

Here are the hooks screw fixed into the beams. The one furthest away is just about visible.
52.jpg

And here is the back drop in place, ready to pull down and dress over the dining table to form a photography studio.
55.jpg

Then back in the bag with the pole, ready for storage until it's required to come out for a photo shoot.
56.jpg

That's it folks! :smiling:

Report back soon with the outline of the build really taking shape - and in the new photography studio with some splendid photos - hopefully!! :cool:

Cheers.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
What a great update. Making good progress. All looks very neat and tidy - I suppose your history of making high end furniture is where that comes from. Thanks for the full explanation of what's going on, makes it more interesting and easier to understand.
Jim

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hi Paul
What a great update. Making good progress. All looks very neat and tidy - I suppose your history of making high end furniture is where that comes from. Thanks for the full explanation of what's going on, makes it more interesting and easier to understand.
Jim

Hi Jim,

Thanks very much. Yeah, when I was making furniture for a living, the old workshop was always neat and tidy. A couple of past clients wondered whether I was just very tidy, or didn't do any work. :tongue-out3:

That's good to know it makes sense - I find the write-up just as enjoyable as the project. :smiling4:

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul

Excellent update and great execution of your very impressive plans. There is nothing more satisfying, in my mind, than well crafted carpentry.

John

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Paul

Excellent update and great execution of your very impressive plans. There is nothing more satisfying, in my mind, than well crafted carpentry.

John

Thanks John - much appreciated.

Indeed, the woodworking craft is extremely satisfying and therapeutic, especially when everything goes to plan. :smiling4:

I shall be on some glue assemblies in the coming week.