RAF Daguerre

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This is going to take some explaining

This is something ive sort of been planning in my head for quite some time….i want to get back into building aircraft, specifically RAF stuff, and ive been thinking about how to photograph them once built and ive come up with this little long term project….my own little RAF station

This will probably take me around a year to do, its going to be something to do in between GBs or other bigger projects, ive been acquiring bits and bobs for quite a while and I think its time to start

Plan is to make a photo base that aircraft can be placed on, where I have a selection of vehicles that I can swop about

I must point out this is NOT really a diorama…..its a photobase……im using a base made by Coastal Kits especially for the Airfix Control Tower, which I might have a go at ‘improving’ the interior…been in the one at Elvington which was interesting……ive been trying to create a back drop…..been downloading ones meant for the model railway set ups and modifying them…..we shall see if it works sometime down the line lol

Why RAF Daguerre?.........well, Louis Daguerre was a 19th century French artist who is credited with coming up with the word ‘diorama’ ……he also was an early photographer, inventing the Deguerrotype process…..so it seemed kind of suitable

a10.jpg[/url
]
[url=https:tongue-out3:/servimg.com/view/19440828/57]b10.jpg[/url
]
[url=https:tongue-out3:/servimg.com/view/19440828/58]
da_110.jpg[/url
]
[url=https:tongue-out3:/servimg.com/view/19440828/59]
da_210.jpg[/url
]
[url=https:tongue-out3:/servimg.com/view/19440828/60]
bofors10.jpg[/url
]
[url=https:tongue-out3:/servimg.com/view/19440828/61]
db10.jpg[/url
]
[url=https:tongue-out3:/servimg.com/view/19440828/62]
c10.jpg[/url
]

The AEC Matador will get the howitzer discarded obviously, the hasegawa kit has all sorts of useful stuff like oil drums and sand bags

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Nice plan, should work well once everything is completed. Rick H.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Nice plan, should be fun to build.

Have you thought about including some electrics for lighting so you can take some atmospheric evening/night photos?

Peter

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Have you thought about including some electrics for lighting so you can take some atmospheric evening/night photos?

funny enough, yes

had an idea for lighting up the insides of the control tower using micro leds

still not decided if i shall

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very interesting idea. Will be keeping an eye on this.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
A very interesting idea. Not something I've seen done before. Sounds a well considered plan for photographing planes. Having a variety of vehicles will prevent "the same" look. Back drops are difficult to get right so I'll be interested in what you come up with.
I did wonder if mixing 1/72 with 1/76 will create any problems?
Jim

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul

To make your backdrops have a look at a piece of free software called Posteriza. This takes any regular photograph and allows you to both blow it up to a large size and automatically cut it up so that it can be printed on consecutive A4 sized pieces of paper. This means that you can print large scenes, on a regular printer and simply stick them together to complete a long backdrop.

John

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
time to crack on with this one.....especially since we have the BoB GB coming along soon

the Bofors and Tractor have been given a coat of paint

dscf9110.jpg

and im making a start on this......an early 70s offering going by the box

dscf9210.jpg

dscf9211.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
That's a blow. I was going to scratch build a control tower for the B.O.B. G.B.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
nothing stopping you Ron......im doing this now not for the GB......i just want something for photo dressing

id love to see you scratch one.

I noticed it's not for the Group Build, it's just that I love going off on a tangent with G.B.'s. We'll see.

Anyway, far more important, it looks a very nice little kit, Paul.
It will look great as part of a backdrop for your models.

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I noticed it's not for the Group Build, it's just that I love going off on a tangent with G.B.'s. We'll see.

i was doing a bit of research.............or as swambo puts it, skiving on the laptop.............and its very interesting to see how many different designs there was for control towers.....and hangars, etc........and this Airfix offering is only vaguely right...its a sort of generic blend of various real designs.....theres some great sites out there about airfield history and preservation

one funny thing i noticed was the 'discussion' on these sites about camo schemes used............its worse than model making and 'its not the right shade of panzer grey!' lol

seems it all depends on so many variables......if it was built in 1940 it would be different to one built in '42 or '44.......................if it was in kent it would be different to one in manchester......which would be different again to one in glasgow..................and if it was a fighter station it would be different from a bomber station........or coastal command!........................ive seen brown and black, brown and green, green and black, plain green, bare brick and even white washed for a very late war one!

think its going to be one of those subjects where its very difficult to get 'right' and all the 'experts' like to tell you where youve gone wrong

but thats not my problem......my model, my colour scheme! lol

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I too noticed the vast difference in designs...

Luckily, I'm a near enough merchant, and they are my models! I try my best, but have little time for so called 'Experts'. Particularly where colours are concerned. There are too many variables for anyone to state 'that is the wrong shade, etc' So I can safely pootle along having fun, head in the clouds, knowing I'm safe in my little bubble and away from any would be predators.

So, Paul.
Paint away. Even paint on some pretty flower!...perhaps that's a step too far.

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Beowulf. Your a busy man with all that Braille Scale going on I would have to be heavily medicated to start a project like that

PaulTRose

Dazed and confused
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
state of play

gun and tractor painted and cleared ready for decals and a wash

tower has the walls up.....ive put a floor in, thought it would look a bit hollow without one......ive no idea what colour it should be but its not really going to be seen once the roofs on

dscf9212.jpg

c_310.jpg