RAF Quad Bikes and Trailers : airfix 1/48

L

Laurie

Just a lovely kit. Great to build and such a different type to build.

Lots going on. all went just as you would hope.

Just a little filler but OK forgiven.

An addition to Afghanistan collection. Surprised I have stayed with it

But it is compelling.

Used Mr Cement S. Filler Mr Surfacer 500 and after priming a bit of Vallejo Plastic Filler.

Vallejo primer, Vallejo top coats, Lifecolor for the effects. They do some very nice dust sand colours.

Primer and top coat Iwata HPBS .35 needle 18psi. Effects Iwata HPBH .2 needle 8PSI.

Laurie

View attachment 115584

View attachment 115585

View attachment 115586

View attachment 115587

View attachment 115588

View attachment 115589

View attachment 115590

View attachment 115591

View attachment 115592

View attachment 115593

View attachment 115594

View attachment 115595

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

No effects.jpg

B

Bunkerbarge

Lovely job Laurie. I like a diorama that you have to study to see everything and it takes you time to absorb it all. Lovely detail and some great weathering.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
do like it Laurie,very nice little outing for the lads,very nice work with all the,

bikes and other,the figures with the camo is never easy,well done, ;)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Superb job Laurie ......... There's a lot going on in there. Very well put together matey......... I like it a lot.

First Name
Robert
Very nice Laurie that looks perfect and they fit in the dio so well, as others have said lots going on and lots of detail in these quads, like your weathering too

Grand job really it is I like this a lot

Regards

Robert

P

Polux

The other day, I had one of those kits on my hands Laurie!!!

Looking your work and how lovely they has turned, I think was a mistake leave it on the shop shelves again :smiling3:

Nice build!

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Absolutely great job Laurie. The bikes and figures all look A1. The scene with the Merlin in very nicely done.

D

dougie

Great work, I think you have put this together well. I like the subtle paint effects that reflect the environment well. Nice build and nice dio work.

My only negative point would be the rocks, they kind of look like they need to be buried a bit and blended in more.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Very, very nice Laurie. You're putting together an excellent set of themed kits there. Only odd thing to my eye is seeing all the 'desert' stuff on a grass layout. I think it would look much better on a sand base.

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Superb work laurie. When did you do the chopper?

How does the .2 needle work on the iwata? I am thinking of upgrading my Hi-Line HP-CH to that spec, as I only want to use a .2 for fine work and use my eclipse for the majority of painting

John

L

Laurie

\ said:
My only negative point would be the rocks, they kind of look like they need to be buried a bit and blended in more.
Thanks for your nice reply Dougie.

Quite right about the rocks. As I have finished each of the Afghanistan bits something gets moved.

It is a mess at the moment as I have had to move WW11 exhibits over. For the moment I have just thrown pieces together.

I also have to move pieces for photography and they never get put back. Must train wife ;)

Laurie

\ said:
Very, very nice Laurie. You're putting together an excellent set of themed kits there. Only odd thing to my eye is seeing all the 'desert' stuff on a grass layout. I think it would look much better on a sand base.
Thanks for your nice reply Dave

The grass Dave was laid for WW11 aircraft all now moved over. As mentioned above it has been roughly put together.

Not until I know the scope with all the Afghanistan pieces completed will I know the extent I need to prepare..

Until then regret I will have to keep that grass mown. Must train wife ;)

Al in all the layout will not be a diorama as it will not tell a detailed story. Just a background layout showing the pieces

in their working background. It would be most unusual to have 3 helicopters,a Harrier, a Typhoon and 4 armoured type

vehicles and quad bikes huddled together. A helicopter will be suspended, I think.

Laurie

L

Laurie

\ said:
Superb work laurie. When did you do the chopper?
How does the .2 needle work on the iwata? I am thinking of upgrading my Hi-Line HP-CH to that spec, as I only want to use a .2 for fine work and use my eclipse for the majority of painting

John
My idea as well John. .35 general work..2 for small detail where you get in difficult areas the spray width is smaller. also for effects work. I have found the HPBH works very well. I have tried the Micron but discarded as I found the HPBH much better, for me. First of all I had great problems with Vallejo Air and Lifecolor thro. the .2. But since I have started using Vallejo Flow Improver it works as if by magic. Hardly have an blockages and these are quickly cured with a quick full squirt. Also been air brushing at 8PSI. This is superb as it gives time to build up the depth of paint colour. I do not bother much with washes. Flow improver Val. Model Air 50% thinners and there is a great wash.

Laurie

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

\ said:
My idea as well John. .35 general work..2 for small detail where you get in difficult areas the spray width is smaller. also for effects work. I have found the HPBH works very well. I have tried the Micron but discarded as I found the HPBH much better, for me. First of all I had great problems with Vallejo Air and Lifecolor thro. the .2. But since I have started using Vallejo Flow Improver it works as if by magic. Hardly have an blockages and these are quickly cured with a quick full squirt. Also been air brushing at 8PSI. This is superb as it gives time to build up the depth of paint colour. I do not bother much with washes. Flow improver Val. Model Air 50% thinners and there is a great wash.
Laurie
Interesting. Should I stop accumulating airbrushes now? I was thinking of the Iwata Custom Micron to finish of my collection. Will have to get a variety of opinions now.

John

L

Laurie

\ said:
Interesting. Should I stop accumulating airbrushes now? I was thinking of the Iwata Custom Micron to finish of my collection. Will have to get a variety of opinions now.
John
Got one if you want one ?

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Lovely work Laurie, they look superb, great detailing. They look great in that setting with your other vehicles.

Si:smiling3: