RC Bell 222 UT

T

T. van Vuuren

Hi all.

I was asked by a fellow modler to mould a Bell "cripple two" for a raptor 50.

These moulds I have are actually a little big for a standard 50 size heli, but not to worry....I just remove 2 " off the tail boom.

This one in # 2 out the moulds as I use #1 for tooling prototype.

I use aircraft glass and epoxy resins for the layups. #1 is a BIG heli and came in at 1,01kg.

Hoping to get # 2 a tad lightler.

There was no top cabin mould so I had to make a plug for the mould I made from carved foam and a stagering amount of filling and sanding!

This model will not get retracts, but have fixed skids like the 222 UT. If I can't find off the shelf skids I will have to make a mould for them and use carbon for stiffness.

The layups I did today will hopefully be joined tomorrow.

All I can say is that to do the glass work inside those sponsons is not fun atall :sad:

Theuns

View attachment 54637

View attachment 54638

222 #2.jpg

222 top cabin plug 003.jpg

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Bit of a change from the normal projects, Theuns.

T

T. van Vuuren

Indeed! I think allot easier......no weathering or rivet counting LOL!

Besides, if it can bring in a few bob to help pay for my other hobbies ,why not :smiling:

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

Fuselarge is joined and out of the moulds. I am now on round 3 of filling and sanding!

The stabs are cut from balsa sheet and glassed with thin cloth/epoxy

I hope the filling and sanding will be done tomorrow LOL...

Theuns

View attachment 54784

222 #2 008.jpg

M

M.D.S

Nice work - will have to get some more pics of mine and get them up on here too - At least you didn't go for the same colour scheme as me :smiling3:

Mark.

T

T. van Vuuren

This will be an air ambulane so it needs some logos ect to go on still.

I will be painting on the front windows as clear bits are not so important on this fun scale heli. Simplicity and low cost to client is of higher value.

Theuns

C

CDW

Not bad progress for a weeks work Theuns.

I like the idea of an ambulance paint job, it's a bit unusual.

If you dont mind me asking .... whats the cost for the finished article to the customer?

T

T. van Vuuren

On this particular heli she is getting it with her machanics built in ready to fly for R3500-00

Not sure about the x-change but I thing it is around 280-00 UK squidd.

The next ones will be a bit higher, this is just the introductory price to get some advertizement.

Strange how many folks want one , but in Airwolf format. That means I will have to make the moulds fir the "jet intakes" and people do not realize how much effort goes into a mould!

Theuns

T

T. van Vuuren

I have just completed the first layup of glass over the plug for the top mold.Needless to say it is now 18hoo and I ran out of resin!

WIll do the rest tomorrow.

This is what the plug looked like before I started the glassing. It has 6 coats of wax on it and a final good polishing.

Theuns

View attachment 55107

222 plug 002.jpg

M

M.D.S

Looking good so far :smiling3:

That's not a bad price either for a ready built machine - normally you would expect to pay a lot more than that. That's one lucky customer you have :smiling3:

Mine is also done as an air ambulance - quite a common role for these Heli's.

Mark.

T

T. van Vuuren

I am rather pleased with my effort at mold making. The plug came out of the mold without any damage and the first layups for the top cabin section is almost ready to come out of the new mold.

It took about 30 hours of work to get that one small mold ready for it's first layups!

T

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks superb now theuns , top work , cheers tony

T

T. van Vuuren

Thanx Tony.

I took the first molding out of the new top mold and it seems there are no holes or flaws in the surface finish, only the primer will tell but sofar I am very pleased with the effort.

I will install the cabin onto the rest of the frame today and hopefully complete the painting.

Wonder if I should have pre shaded and do some weathering LOL!

Theuns

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's looking the biz Theuns.

Will your customer give you some "in flight" shots so we can see it in the air.

Tony.

T

T. van Vuuren

I am sure that will be no problem Tony :smiling:

I am just putting the final touches onto the top cabin molding ready for paint tomorrow if the weather is better.

In the meantime I am working on a few other fixed wing RC projects for folks while work on full size aircraft is at a standstill due to poor economics.

They are not any scale things so I won't bother posting them.

Maybe if I get round to complete my own 1/5 scale DHC 1 Chipmunt and 1/6 PT-17 Stearman I will post some pix.

Theuns