Returning to modelling since my childhood in the 1970s

Valeron

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
I've recently taken early retirement so now have plenty of time to allow hobbies to occupy my time.

I was into Airfix models and figures in the 1970s. I spent a lot of time on them but they were always pretty basic. I was always impressed by the dioramas I'd see made up in the Nottingham Beatties branch, mostly Tamiya I think, but never actually went that far.

Then that was it until now that I have more time. I've recently got back into modelling and made a couple of Airfix starter kits (1:72) scale, Spitfire and Messerschmitt. Again, they're pretty basic using what came out of the box, plus some Humbrol flesh paint I bought.

I really enjoyed the process of making these since then I've been reading a lot and realise modelling has moved on since then and also as an adult I can appreciate things which as a child I couldn't.

I'm looking to improve my skills, learn new things (I've never primed, washed, weathered etc) and have a hobby which will be fun and occupy some of my time. I'm thinking 1:35 scale as the 1:72 are too small for my eyes to deal with the detail these days.

I've been looking at some of the models presented on this forum and I couldn't be any more impressed.

I'm also planning on starting with an armoured vehicle of some sort and was thinking Tamiya as they are reasonably priced and that's what I've heard of other than Airfix. I know they are older models but they are cheaper and will allow me to build up my skills and toolset.

Does anyone have any ideas of good reasonably priced armoured kits (doesn't have to be Tamiya as I said, that's what I've heard of mostly) which would be a good starter for me to learn new skills?

I've had enough of the reading and now want to start building. I know it will be a slow process and I'll make mistakes but that doesn't matter. I just want to do it and have fun along the way

Mike

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome Mike.

Your last sentence sums it up nicely too. A little tip - Consume all the advise, but don't compare your work with others. Go your own way and develop your own style and level of accomplishment you are happy with. We are all different....

You will get loads of differing replies as to what kit, that's for sure.

I would go for the earlier Tamiya armour 1/35 offerings. really cheap, easy to build and great results can be obtained from them.

As you will know doubt read, there are people on here who have no time for them. But for now, I think they will suit your requirements. Later, you might consider 'Better' kits, but I still stick with these cheapos. they give me all the modelling fun I need.

Ron

Last edited:

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Mike! You'll find loads of advice here, and some of it is even useful! I agree with your thinking about a 1/35 Tamiya model as a starter - they go together well, aren't complicated, and you can pick them up for reasonable prices! - just a few suggestions: tracked - Pz IV or Panther, wheeled - mate Greyhound, or M20 Utility. You will hear that they aren't the most accurate models, but they look right, easily assemble, so you can concentrate on the paint job!. Don't think that the more you pay for a model, the better it will be - that isn't the case!
Above all enjoy it!
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Welcome to the forum Mike

I can only agree with what the guys have said above. To get back into modelling and try out a few techniques, then the older Tamiya kits like the Sd.Kfz.251, StuG IV and Panther tanks are perfect for that (I would recommend some allies stuff but it's not my area of interest) and can be picked up for well less than 20 pounds.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheap brushes will give you a good start so don't worry about that. I would get a scalpel blade handle and a few different shaped blades. Dirt cheap to buy. Personally i would also start off with acrylic paints such as Vallejo or AK.
Hobby mat to protect the surface of the table/bench you're working on.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
The list can be endless....
I don't have a compressor and I only use cheap paint brushes. I use Vallejo Acrylics with my brushes. Tamiya paints are poor for brush application. You certainly need a cutting mat (A3), a good pair of sprue cutters, a wallet of small files. A Swann Morton scalpel. Although I now use one of those snap off blade type of knifes. Tweezers. That will do from me for basic stuff as I'm sure folks will add to the list.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Mike
A warm welcome to the forum. You're right of course when you say you learn by doing and the main aim is to have fun.
I agree about older Tamiya kits. As for tools and stuff. Build up gradually and buy the best you can afford. Cared for good tools will last for ever.
A really good idea is to blog your build on the forum. I can guarantee that on this forum you will will only get polite help, advice and encouragement.
Jim

Last edited:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Welcome aboard Mike.

As others have said start start simple and take it one step at a time, Rome wasnt built in a day!!

I got some very good advice when I started back in the hobby - with each kit you build try one new thing/technique each time - it will help you perfect your technique as you go, won't be super daunting and if it goes wrong, you know what went wrong....if you try five new things at once then you might not be able to work out what went wrong...

Oh and remember to enjoy it!

Good luck.

Andrew

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Mike,
tools wise - a scalpel, sprue cutters & a range of wet & dry emery paper ( medium to v. fine ), and a pair of tweezers are really all you need, drills, files etc can be added later. Brushes - well, basically 3! Large flat, medium round, detail round. Don't buy the cheapest, they lose their shape & the hairs fall out!
Adhesive - I use Revell Contacta ( with the fine metal tube ) for larger structural joints, and Tamiya Extra Thin ( applied with built in brush ) for more delicate parts.
Paint - you can use water based acrylics, or lacquer based enamels. This is very much a personal choice & can be a source of dispute! ( I use water based acrylics - easier to clean & don't smell ).
Whatever you decide to model, do research on it I use this site https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ as do a lot of the forum members. This will give you the age of the model, & sometimes instructions & reviews. Look for build reviews by someone who has actually made the model. Out of the Box reviews tell you what's in the box, but not how it fits together & how good the instructions are!
Dave
( pardon the long post - I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, Osteoarthritis is preventing me from benchtime! )

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
..... I'm not going to enter into a long list of stuff,as Mark said,"the guys have pretty much covered everything", ;)
.... I'll just bid you a warm welcome to the site,and I look forward to seeing you around the various bloggs :smiling3:
Andy

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi mike welcome to the forum , you mentioned Nottingham , theres a few Boyes shops near you , I know the one in Newark has a good selection of basic craft and modelling tools and also does a big range of Vallejo and Humbrol paints so probably the ones in Nottingham do too. Its a good place to start and build a basic tool set that wont cost the earth . Cheers tony

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Mike,
tools wise - a scalpel, sprue cutters & a range of wet & dry emery paper ( medium to v. fine ), and a pair of tweezers are really all you need, drills, files etc can be added later. Brushes - well, basically 3! Large flat, medium round, detail round. Don't buy the cheapest, they lose their shape & the hairs fall out!
Adhesive - I use Revell Contacta ( with the fine metal tube ) for larger structural joints, and Tamiya Extra Thin ( applied with built in brush ) for more delicate parts.
Paint - you can use water based acrylics, or lacquer based enamels. This is very much a personal choice & can be a source of dispute! ( I use water based acrylics - easier to clean & don't smell ).
Whatever you decide to model, do research on it I use this site https://www.scalemates.com/kits/ as do a lot of the forum members. This will give you the age of the model, & sometimes instructions & reviews. Look for build reviews by someone who has actually made the model. Out of the Box reviews tell you what's in the box, but not how it fits together & how good the instructions are!
Dave
( pardon the long post - I'm a bit frustrated at the moment, Osteoarthritis is preventing me from benchtime! )
Now there’s some great advice we’ll said Dave

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Welcome aboard Mike. These guys here are great please if you have any questions reach out and someone will help and it will not be a sarcastic remark we don’t play those games here so just feel right at home.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
I'll keep it short best you get on with your build and enjoy it...Welcome Mike. I'm fortunate to have started my intro into 1/35 scale armour with a Tamiya kit in the 70's having only known Airfix, Revell and Monogram then. Never disappointed since. The good guys have covered the list of necessities to begin.

Cheers,
Richard