Returning to modelling since my childhood in the 1970s

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
View attachment 443008

Thank you very much everyone for your warm welcome advice.

I've been reading more and I've ordered my first model. I've gone Tamiya as I always fancied doing one of these when I was a kid but never did. It's also a good price and seems and interesting one to build.

I'll also order paints as well after the model has arrived.

I'm planning to hand paint only and possibly using Vallejo acrylics. They seem to get a good review from what I've seen. I'll deal with weathering etc once I've got started.

What are peoples thoughts on Priming? I understand Priming in a Real world sense as I do all the decorating at home but have never primed a model. All the priming I have seen in magazines and online has been via an airbrush which I'm keeping away from for
now.

Another question if I may, I do have some Humbrol enamels for black. This model has a few black parts. Do people mix enamel and acrylics or should I purchase some acrylic black too?

Once the model arrives I'll start a blog.

Mike
Hi Mike

Great choice of kit. The vehicle - if not the kit - that truly got me back into modelling and my son into it for the first time.

Most people prime but some don't - it does help with paint adhesion especially for water based paints like Vallejo.

As you're starting out, a lot of people use paint rattle can primer.....Halfords grey is used a lot and works well as I can testify myself..... Just don't spray it indoors - it goes everywhere even when into a cardboard box and stinks. I do now have an airbrush myself but still occasionally use the rattle can, in which case I have a cardboard box in the shed that I spray into

As for mixing enamels and acrylics you can use them in the same model. Just make sure they dry properly first.

Hope that helps.

Andrew

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good point. I must admit, I wasn't fully aware of that.

Glad to be of help.
I only brush paint. I use Vallejo 'Air' acrylics which are supposed to be used with an airbrush, but they are great for brush application straight from the bottle, but can be thinned if required. Vallejo 'Colour' are a thicker consistency and for brush use will require thinning. Don't be fooled into thinking you need 'Posh' thinners for acrylics, I use ordinary tap water. Suits me just fine.

Re- priming, some do, some don't. I used to, but have found it's not necessary, so I don't anymore!

Good luck...

Ron

Bobby Conkers

Sausage Fingers
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Another welcome from me. You're exactly where I was a few years ago (in terms of 'expertise') and this place has taught me everything I now know. Have a problem? Ask this lot. Fancy giving yourself a challenge? Ask this lot.

Three years ago I was a sausage-fingered out of the box builder. Now I read through instructions of a new model making notes on what improvements I can make. I'm weathering, lighting, modifying models now where I didn't even know what these things were before.

As said previously, don't compare to others' work, instead assess what you'd like to have done after completion, find out how you'd do that, and apply to your next. And above all, post your builds here with progress - everyone will give positive feedback (I've yet to see a negative response here), and give expert advice for you. I'm don't want to advertise my posts, but a good example is my 1/96 Spanish Galleon in the ships section. Throughout you'll see I've hit both problems and inspirations as I've gone along, asked advice, and received friendly and informative solutions and encouragement.

Higher than tools, paints and models, this forum should be your top resource, and for free! In three years' time, if you continue to enjoy it, you'll look back to yesterday and be amazed how far you've come. It's an education.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Can only get echo day about the works. Very useful indeed!!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
As others have said start start simple and take it one step at a time, Rome wasnt built in a day!!

Andrew

That's only 'cos Ron and Idu weren't on the job! With Ron makin' the tea an' Idu's 4000 Zulu mates crackin' on, they'd've bin done well in time for last orders at 'The Clacker'!

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Very nice choice of kit there Mike:cool: ,
I have the Academy version in the stash so will be interested to see what`s different between the two :thinking:,
Quite apart from that though,i`ll just enjoy watching you get to grips with it..........I`ll shove in next to Rick in the cheap seats,i`m sure he won`t mind...... much !!:tears-of-joy:,
Obviously you`ll get loads of help and support from the guys,(if you ask for it of course!! :thumb2: ),and if i can help at any point i`ll be only too happy to do so.
Main thing is though,of course,just get stuck in and enjoy the build :thumb2:,
Andy

blacbul67

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
I've recently taken early retirement so now have plenty of time to allow hobbies to occupy my time.

I was into Airfix models and figures in the 1970s. I spent a lot of time on them but they were always pretty basic. I was always impressed by the dioramas I'd see made up in the Nottingham Beatties branch, mostly Tamiya I think, but never actually went that far.

Wow!! I have just joined this forum (this is my first post and the title of your post immediately caught my eye as it pretty much explained my exact situation but it would have been 1984 when I last built a model. I too come from Nottingham and Beatties was pretty much my favourite shop at the time (well along with Selectadisc!). I did build Tamiya models one of which was my last I built and I took it to Beatties in the hope of it being good enough for display and it was!! However, I went to Further Education leaving home so modelling stopped. I never lost interest, always intending to return to it one day but rented accommodation (rooms in shared houses) meant it was not feasible in my 20s. Then settling down there were always other priorities; deposits, mortgage, weddings, children. Well, I'm divorced but most of the other commitments remain. However becoming increasingly conscious of my failing eyesight I have decided to not wait for retirement (early retirement is not possible, unfortunately) and pre-ordered the Airfix 1/24 scale Spitfire Mk.IXc coming in the summer as this particular range was my boyhood dream (Stuka probably top of the list) from when I first became aware of them in the mid-'70s
Now nearly 50 years later at the age of 54, I think it's time I actually do something I have reluctantly put off for so long. Even so, I think it will be a couple of years before I tackle it as I will start off with literally smaller projects as I re-build and improve my skills (I have never airbrushed) and most importantly buy all the equipment, tools etc. I will need. I have so far already gone up to £305 on my amazon basket; Iwata Eclipse CS airbrush, Fengda FD-196 Compressor, Fengda Airbrush Cleaning Kit, Mixing palettes and Airbrush quick release couplings!!

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
AN ITS A WELCOME from me also hope you like this forum as its the best one on the web in my opinion an nicest members an we talk every day an we have a shop also where you can buy your bits an kits that you fancy an John runs it very good an its called Scale Model Shop but look out for Matron lol
chris

Last edited: