Revell - 1/16 - Rolls Royce Phantom (1934)

Hi everyone.

Just left militaries for a moment and I'm going to do something nice, smooth with no use marks. Totally OOB.

I have picked few models and pick randomly one of them. I was glad to draw this one as it basically looks amazing and this car is a masterpiece.

Unfortunately Revell isn't known by the quality and as soon as I open the box, filing started. A lot of it! Spruces are terrible, too much material on small parts. Details are not too bad, but really, quality of spruces.. Uhhh.

Anyways, I gritted my teeth, pulled the file and putty and started to "have fun" :smiling3:

Two days later I have chasis and engine almost done and painted. Just wires to be done and some polishing detailing. Pictures:

A

AVB99

Fabulous quality of work. I shall be very interested to hear how you intend painting the gloss exterior.

Aidan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Often fancied doing one of their classic cars, It will be nice to see how they build.

So far its looking good.

Ian M

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Ill be following the progress on this looking good so far!

Cheers,Ben

Thanks.

I haven't decide the colour of the body. Purple one looks awesome, but tbh I'm tempted by the dark green.

BTW: anyone used Tamiya Polishing compound? What else would car builders recommend?

A

AVB99

Another issue wich you will be aware of is gloss scale. Having built a model T Ford recently 1/12, I was interested to see one in the Sciecne Museum. The body work is glossy but it's a far cry from the gloss of these days.

Aidan

A

andyrobs

Wow this looks amazing so far, can't wait to see more of this onemate

Cheers, Andrew

Little update:

Of course it will be more more more shiny after I'll finish it.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Looking really nice mate.

Tony

Damn!

Massive problem appeared:/

On the bottom, door should be in line with the rest. At the moment it's like 2mm difference.. I can always leave the doors open, but this is not satisfying for me:/ Any ideas how to make it more even?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
You could glue a thin strip plastic along the bottom edge of the door and sand it to shape once everything is dry. A swipe of filler and you'll be fine.

Not wishing to go against the grain regarding the "scale shine" and old cars, but I will say Rolls Royce had the best finish you could ever wish for. If it wasn't good enough, it was done again.

The burgandy red does look nice. I would suggest that you google the Roller and see what it comes up with so you do it a colour that has existed.

I know Rolls did say we'll paint it what ever colour you ask but the choices they offered where normally very fitting for the car.

Ian M

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
I would suggest just adding a thin strip of styrene to the bottom all the way along then filling it down till it fits how you want, All the other lines on that panel look to follow.

Hope this helps

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
Aha Ian you posted while i was typing mine up :P

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
LOL Sorry Ben. :smiling:

You snooze, you loose! (and its normally me that gets gazumped!

Ian M

Thanks guys!

Will try it tomorrow.

One more advice I need. Dashboard in this Rolly is of course made of wood. Any tips how to achive wooden finish on plastic parts?

I

ian lanc

One of the most hard things to achieve in a car model is real wood effect.

I've painted WWI wood prop's by doing a light wood base colour and allowing it to dry the get a household sponge

cut a tiny bit of sponge off it, then dabble a darker brown colour onto the sponge. Wipe the sponge on some scrap

card to remove excess paint, now pull the sponge across your light wood colour to give a knot/grained effect.

Your best trying it out on some scrap bits of plastic to get the hand of it, Not hard and it will look good.

When you have a nice effect allow to dry and paint a nice clear gloss over it.

As for painting the outer gloss panels you'll have to really work at it to make it look correct at that scale,

I did this 1/16th scale Ford a bit back and it took me nearly a week of polishing the body to have no

imperfections or orange peel effect in it, look at the reflection in the boot lid of my ford....

Last edited:

yambam26

SMF Supporter
First Name
Ben
\ said:
LOL Sorry Ben. :smiling:You snooze, you loose! (and its normally me that gets gazumped!

Ian M
Quite alright Ian

aha true :P

Ian Lanc,

What lacquer did you use out of curiosity?

Very nice finish there!

Cheers, Ben

Ok, I got the door extended and filled. Waiting to be grinded to proper size, which will happen tomorrow.

Have also idea for the wood effect. If it will work, will definately show the result:smiling3:. Gotta next question. How to achive chrome effect? Similiar to mirror. I have found some solutions, but I don't want to buy some chrome spray if it won't work. All I know is to paint it gloss black, then spray chrome once or twice and polish. Do you know which chrome spray is the best by any chance?