Revell - 1/16 - Rolls Royce Phantom (1934)

C

CDW

Another idea for the wood is to drag a heavy guage glass/sand paper over the surface once or twice creating shallow scratches. you can create knots by pressing a thin metal tube end into the plastic and then use a needle to scratch the grain around the circular dent.

sand lightly with very fine paper to remove any burrs and then paint it in a base colour lighter than what you want as an end result.

when dry mix a wash of thinned gloss black and paint over the top, the wash will find the recesses and create the grained effect for you. If you need it more polished then spray with hair laquer or use a proprietry varnish.

this works well with acrylics, not tried it in enamels as i dont use them.

Thanks for all advices. I was on holiday and just back to work on the Rolly.

And must say that it is the most difficuilt model I've ever built. Struggling to polish it to even good finish. I mean when I use that Tamiya Polishing Compound it's ok, but then it turns from nice glossy finish to a sort of matt:/ Don't know what to do, tried to do it different ways and always the same result. Don't mention freaking curves and weird shapes that this car has. If I will be still in the dark, I think I will give up and finish it to the point I can. :/ I never ever thought that it will be so hard..

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I might be wrong but I think you need to give it a clear coat after the polishing compound.

Ian m

G

Gomer Pyle

Sorry to be nitpicking Ian, hope you can forgive me:smiling: Painting/clear-coating after polishing is not a good idea - polishing should always be the final and last step, to enhance the already glossy sheen of a clear-coat or glossy paint.

Most polishing compounds leave a little residue on the surface that could cause trouble with additional clear coats. If indeed you have polished too much of the clear away and need to add more, then there is no way around sanding it down to base-color, or better yet stripping the entire thing and start fresh.

As to your problem bluriusz, it seems to be either too much compound used or it may be too coarse a grain. If it's the first a good wash in lukewarm dishwater should do the trick. If it's the second scenario, you'll need to buy a polish with a finer grain - most polishing systems come in 3-steps typically called coarse, medium and fine.

I have no personal experience with the Tamiya polishing, but I have noticed that they also carry a liquide wax it might be intended as a part of their system.

/Daniel