Hi Jim, sorry to here of your situation. It is challenging but when overcome there is satisfaction when solved.
This could be the same problem as fitting resin cockpits into plastic kit frames where there's a lot of fettling and sanding to fit. The positive thing is that the interior are shells and not solid so you can work on that and not the hull. I hope the designers have taken in account the thickness of the plastic on the hull. Blu-tac and tape the parts to see where they won't fit when mating.
Have you found where the parts don't fit or is hindering the assembly? There ought to be some crazing of the part. If only we had that film which dentists put between your teeth and ask you to bite which leaves an impression for them to grind away for a better fit.
Put some carbon paper between the inner and outer. Have you tried the canopy yet, with the outer fuselage taped together? You might find as I did that it's better to widen the fuselage rather than narrow the interior.
Hi all John - erecting my big chopper is not easy - where did I put those little blue pills Scottie - I hope your faith in me is not misplaced. Jakko - certainly scraping parts of the inner panels will help. There are a few obvious proud areas. Simon - I have seen you cope with worse. I'm a long way from the 'bin it' stage but it will need some studying Richard - thanks for such sound advice. I think that the various issues are small in themselves but added together they create bigger problems.
Peter - how you got yours across the finish line and looking so nice is a tribute to your skills. That carbon paper trick sounds good. So glad you mentioned the fit of the canopy. Just checked it and the fit is poor but you're right - slightly widening the top front of the fuselage looks to sort it
I have spent a couple of hours dry fitting and making small adjustments and things seem to be looking better. I hope I haven't tempted fate with that comment
Thanks again for you comments - encouraging and helpful.
Well I have fitted the windows which went OK - the fit was actually not bad. I have spent many hours dry fitting, scraping, sanding and then repeating the process. All the while I was frightened I'd wreck the interior or the windows would pop out Anyway I got things to a stage where the inner walls and roof would fit on the floor and allow the two fuselage halves to to fit around that. It needed a lot of pressure to get things to join but at least the seams closed up.
So I glued it and clamped it. Wicked in a load of liquid cement and now it will sit there until tomorrow Just hope it doesn't all spring apart or I find something inside has come loose.
At his stage I'm not too bothered about the warped tail end - I'll sort that later. It will come together.
So fingers crossed for tomorrow. It will be Friday 13th but hey-ho my birthday is the 13th and our house number is 13 so maybe a good omen
The good wishes and finger crossing seems to have worked
Removed the clamps. The underneath seems solid but I was able to glue to the base as well as along the joins which helped. Filling to do but that's ok. There is a large flat piece which fills the gap and that will add strength.
The rear top join opened so it was re-glued and clamped. It didn't actually open that much. Because the two top joins will have bits fitted over them I cut some styrene sheet, slathered Contacta on the bits and stuck them over the joints.
The front join is deliberately slightly open so that the canopy sort of fits . Still got that tail to join.
Looking good Jim. Watch out for the undercarriage frame on that large flat piece under the fuselage. Mine was distorted and one of the legs broke off when I straightened it.
Isn't it a shame about the fit issues, the detail in the kit is lovely.