Revell 1/48 Beaufighter

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Great start Andy and the weighted tyres do look good, but did you do the main wheels at the same time ? I'm just thinking if one is slightly flatter than the other, it might look a bit awkward on the ground. It could be an idea to investigate now, rather than later when the wheels are attached.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps. I used a heat gun to bend some figures for my MAZ tractor dio so thought I'd try it on tyres. I've tried dipping them in boiling water before but it doesn't seem to get them quite soft enough. You have to be quick mind, anything more than a second or two and they'd be a molten mess :flushed:

Colin, thanks for the heads up but it's something I'd thought about. I did my best to get them as even as possible when squashing, but when I get around to sanding the filler I'll put them both on a dowel/cocktail stick and sand the flattened bottoms together to get them as exact as I can.

D

Deleted member 7181

It's been a busy time what with working the weekend, my sons birthday, extended family commitments etc., but I've had a bit of bench time in-between.

Firstly the wheel wells went together. These are made up of several parts but fitted well. They might get a quick swipe of filler in some of the minor gaps just in case paint doesn't quite fill them.

h9n5Ifg.jpg

After that lot had dried overnight I joined the upper wing sections on. Again they fitted well but gave them plenty of tape and clamping just in case

YnLJPyM.jpg

Whilst the wings were set aside I got on with the engines. Made up of several parts it was an ideal thing to do while I could only grab half an hour here and there. Colours vary between the instructions and various reference pictures so ended up with a combination I thought looked ok. MrC Burnt Iron for the cylinders, MrC Steel for the exhaust parts, Vallejo Aluminium for the tops of the heads (will be completely hidden by the cowls hence no filler in the joints). I then mixed a custom dark blue/grey for the crankcase and a custom blue/green for the intake piping. A couple of different Citadel washes/shades (my new favourite thing) brought out the details and toned everything down.

WvNUmUP.jpg

6weiUSU.jpg

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Methinks you are really getting the hang of this modelling malarky.

Those engines look great. Well done

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andrew.

My lack of patience normally gets the better of me and I rush to get things finished, but I'm trying to keep that in check.

D

Deleted member 7181

I've been working more slowly than my usual frenetic pace over the past few days and I'm hoping it will show in the end result.

First off I fitted the flaps and ailerons. I opted for flaps closed as it should make painting easier later on, but blew some black primer inside all of the (intentional) gaps before fitting in case they are hard to reach later. I'd rather see a black shadow than bare plastic!

W2IP4TL.jpg

Primed and painted inside the wheel bays. These have since had a wash to help bring out the detail and may get a touch more weathering later.

lpbL6Ni.jpg

Landing lights and cover fitted. It's hard to get a good picture of it but the clear lights were given a coat of chrome on the back side using a Molotow pen.

JKc2N5c.jpg

Engine cowlings fitted. I could have done with a couple of extra fingers to hold the separate pieces in line as they dried but thanks to a good fit they've turned out ok

kZowJgF.jpg

Next job was to fix the wing assembly to the fuselage. A little trimming and shaving was needed to get a good fit under the nose but I got it something like. It's a nice fit along most of the top wing root with a bit of glue squeeze out for good luck, but it'll need some attention at the rear.

NvMIkGX.jpg

gxG97Xr.jpg

oHWlk4f.jpg

And while that was drying I put the fiddly landing gear together. Some parts were so thin that I didn't want to go mad with the clean up weaken them any more, so could probably be better, but with a lick of paint and a black wash I'm happy enough. Wheels still rotate about their axles so I didn't need to worry about positioning the flat spot

1lXAqSF.jpg

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Alan,
Lovely neat work slowing down has paid off. It is still hard to believe that you are new to this hobby looking at your work.

D

Deleted member 7181

Alan,
Lovely neat work slowing down has paid off. It is still hard to believe that you are new to this hobby looking at your work.
Thanks George :tongue-out2:

Really appreciate the compliment Paul, thanks.

It's had most of the day to dry so I took the tape off the wings and it held it's shape, yay! I've made a start on sanding out a couple of minor steps and put a bit of automotive putty into the gaps and a few sink marks I found. I'm back at work in the morning so it'll have plenty of time to harden up before sanding and maybe a bit of spot priming tomorrow evening to see how it looks.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great work Fred, George was quite right.
Bill

D

Deleted member 7181

There's pretty much nothing to do at work since the company that transports cars to us takes a decent break over the chrimbo period, meaning we've run out of stuff to paint. So rather than stand around for 12 hours I took the Beaufighter in to do a bit.

Commandeered one of the work benches

b1rosPu.jpg

Assembled and fitted the extended tailplane/dorsal fin/rudder etc. The fin comes to a sharp point out of the kit but I saw it mentioned in a build elsewhere (with reference pictures) that it should be rounded off, so I took care of that before glueing it on.

ZkzAGpH.jpg

And assembled the torpedo with it's wooden tail fin.

sIUV06S.jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Sorry Andy. Some how i've missed this build. Doing a cracking job on it though.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Is this a better or worse workstation for modelling than your usual one in the shed? :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Loving what you've done with this so far. Keep up the good work.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Andrew.

Is this a better or worse workstation for modelling than your usual one in the shed? :smiling3:
Well it was much warmer, that's for sure! :smiling5:

The low bench and lack of a chair wasn't so good though. Stooping slightly aggravated my bad back (lumber region problems brought on by a bad car accident many years ago). I found myself sitting on the floor for tricky parts, working on my lap. I found that surprisingly comfortable and may even try and incorporate an open floor area when I finally get around to changing the layout.

D

Deleted member 7181

After some minor filling and sanding I started masking this up for primer & paint.

SawDfsY.jpg

It all got a thin coat of Mr Surfacer 1000

iZuCbRP.jpg

Then I had a go at pre-shading the panel lines :smiling5:

jjcuzjJ.jpg

As you can see, I can't paint a straight line to save my life! so decided to go heavier with the main colour than I'd planned. That has hidden the worst of it but left a little peeking through

MuvIoou.jpg

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Cracking job Andy. Great looking build!!

How did you manage with rescribing the panel lines? One thing i cannot get to grips with

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks chaps.

Bob, a bit hit & miss if I'm honest. Some have come out pretty well, some are a bit deep, and a few aren't exactly straight!

I've got a cheap scriber which does quite well if I take it steady but can easily cut too deep. I did a few others with the blade from my new JLC razor saw and that does a really nice job, but I found it harder to keep it in a straight line, even when following a taped edge. A bit more practice and I should be ok I think.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Fine looking build. Preshade looks good with the top coat. Subtle but that is how it should be.
Jim