Revell 1/48 Beaufighter

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Looks really great, hope I can get as good with paint as you are.

Andy.
Cheer Andy. I've only been making models since April so still feeling my way into airbrushing. I do paint cars for a living so have a head start on the masking, but the actual spraying side is a whole different ball game to what I'm used to!

Andy the stripes are bang on.

Thanks Paul.

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Thats a lovely paint job Andy!!!

Off subject sorrt, i asked the airbrush tech at airbrush company ref cleaning after lacquer and he strongly recommened using liquid reamer which sounds like a cure!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Looks great Andy. My only critique would be how did you even manage to think/ask 'Should i add invasion stripes'! DUH! No brainer ;) lol

D

Deleted member 7181

Thats a lovely paint job Andy!!!

Off subject sorrt, i asked the airbrush tech at airbrush company ref cleaning after lacquer and he strongly recommened using liquid reamer which sounds like a cure!
Liquid Reamer? Sounds like the stuff they made me take before my last hospital appointment! :smiling5:

Looks like John sells it in the shop, but the main ingredients make it sound like carburettor cleaner. That stuff will clean anything!

Looks great Andy. My only critique would be how did you even manage to think/ask 'Should i add invasion stripes'! DUH! No brainer ;) lol

Haha, thanks Al

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Carbs, that takes me back! Carb cleaner is excellent but do not smoke!!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Andy, I'm a bit late at the party but that's a very nice build you got there, looks exellent :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andy

Looking very good indeed. Well done.

Andrew

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks all.

Hoping to get some decals on today. It's not a process I normally have great success with so I've got everything crossed!

D

Deleted member 7181

Decals went pretty well. More silvering than I'd like but much less than I've had before so that's progress. One of them split due to rough handling but I managed to rescue it.

utlUwW0.jpg

They seem to be snuggling down well into the panel lines. Will let them dry in the house overnight then seal with a gloss coat tomorrow after work.

bAHgXgk.jpg

In between coats of Microsol I got the props painted and assembled, and some clear colour on the nav lights

OktRz5A.jpg

aEtPbvR.jpg

And I also attempted to replicate the wood grain on the back of the torpedo. It was basecoated in various shades of Vallejo "Wood" last night, then a light coat of dark brown oilbrusher was applied today. This was then dragged with a stiff bristled paintbrush until it looked something like. Probably a bit too much effort for a small part that'll hardly be seen, but good practice for the future.

Sq7YMnw.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
That wood effect looks really good. It may be mostly out of sight somewhere below the model on this one, but like you say, good practice for when you build a model of something that has unpainted wooden planks somewhere obvious.

I had my doubts about the roundels overlapping the invasion stripes, since the real instructions for them position them a certain distance inboard of the roundels, but looking at photos of real Beaufighters you’ve got them spot-on.

D

Deleted member 7181

Cheers Jakko, happy with how the wood turned out myself.

I guess one of the masters on here would have made an authentic one out of coffee stirrers, but painted plastic will do for me lol.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking good Andy, great work. One thing (and I might be wrong) is that I think the wingtip lights were clear with coloured bulbs On British aircraft of the period. If you want to replicate that on your next build, the easy way is to drill a hole in the back of the clear part and fill it with the correct colour paint....wood grain looks great by the way...

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great progress andy , the wood effect is spot on as these stabilising fins were made of plywood. Tims right about the nav lights though , they were clear with coloured bulbs on the beau. Cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Tim, and thank you for the tip.

And Tony too. I'll see if I can do anything about those lights :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

Nothing much to report, just going through the process of adding some of the fragile parts and knocking them off again lol, but I'm looking for colour suggestions for a panel line wash on the upper surfaces.

I only have back & brown in actual MIG washes so used the brown underneath. Doesn't look as bad as it sounds but I don't know if it would suit the grey/black/white up top. My cheap oils tend to go a bit grainy when mixed as a wash but have a few oilbrushers and plenty of acrylics so could manage to cobble together whatever is suggested somehow.

Thanks in advance.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I tend to go for simply a darker version of the base colour I’m applying the wash over, or a generic grey stain (that is, transparent grey much like Tamiya smoke but home-brew and a bit lighter in shade) that works on a lot of colours.