Revell 1/700 Bismarck.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Being Easter Sunday, my wife and I planned to visit my son and exchange 'Eggs'. His lady is head honcho at a local nursing home, so as a precaution I took a home made Covid test...

Guess what? The test proved positive! How the hell I contracted the thing is anyone's guess. I ain't been nowhere. Luckily the bride is o.k. -Thus far.

However, it won't stop an old fart like me from battling on at the bench doing summat. I don't fancy doing the rigging on Bismarck just yet, so I've turned my attention to the sinking ship. She went down stern first and leaning to port, before capsizing.
My first idea was to build the sea around the complete ship. Using my usual method this would be too complicated and I would need some kind of box to accommodate the invisible stern section, so I intend to build the full hull, superstructure and stick on only what will be seen, which is roughly half the ship. Then once I'm happy with what is glued in position, I'll cut the whole issue in half at a suitable angle. That way, the ship will be sitting on, rather than half under the surface. I will add the odd bit just under the surface, I'll see what's what at a later stage.

Now here is the clever bit.:upside: I will save the stern section and once the sinking ship is photographed, I shall reunite the hull halves, add any missing bits and use that to try and model the Bismarck on the sea bed. Smart or what?

Here's where I'm at....

Hull halves joined together.

There are two stiffeners for the hull (top right) As it will be a full hull to start with, I try not to use these. I prefer to keep the hull/ deck joint flexible, so any gaps can be easily skwosed up.

P1320888.JPG

Please note. This post is in the wrong build. It is now duplicated over in my 'Sink the Bismarck'. Sorry about that:upside:

Cheers.
Ron

Last edited:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Sorry I can't help you Ron as floaty things are out of my knowledge range. I can only say I really love the job you are doing on this kit so far. Earlier today, I was tempted to bid on a floaty thing kit in evilbay. it was the Revell Scharnhorst in 1/570 scale and it ended up selling for less than the postage. After following your work on these I thought I might try one myself (against my "No Kits" rule), but was afraid I would build and paint it with fireworks in the hull. Take it down to the water, pour lighter fluid on it, set it alight, push it off and wait for the bang!!!......Maybe another time without the flashback to my early days as a young 'un..........................

Prost
Allen
How exciting !

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
If you aren't feeling any symptoms, I would be inclined to try another test. Double up on Zinc, vit. K, vit. C.....if you can get it, Hydroxychloroquine, and or Ivermectin are also good theraputics. Oh, and stay away from the Hospital, Things have been known to go south in some of those "places" of healing. I'm not a Doctor, just informed. stay safe! Rick H.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks boys.

I'm just bunged up now. The missus is still in bed though.
I still managed to do the ship's rigging using ezee line and G.P. glue. Basic and fictional but it will do.....
P1320940.JPG

Next, I'll put her to sea.

Cheers.
Ron

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Hope your good lady gets better soon.
Rigging looks good. Coincidentally I watched a programme last night on TV about the last 24 hours of the Bismarck. Very interesting but such a tragic loss of so many lives on both sides.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Sorry Bob, I forgot to mention the make.....UHU G.P. (Yellow tube) This is the quick drying one I use. The solvent free version takes too long to grip, but is great for sticking polystyrene (As is UHU POR)

I've finished Bismarck and have modelled her heading down the Denmark Straits in May 1941. Fresh from her victory over HMS Hood.....

For the base, I used an old cupboard door and then added a tile adhesive sea which I squidged the ship into. Then painted the sea with cheapo acrylics and then added a dab of silicone here and there.

I'll post some more pictures over in Ships 'Completed' asap.
Here's one for now....

P1320971 (2).JPG

Thank you to those who posted their thoughts, links, humorous comments and valuable suggestions along the way. All much appreciated. :thumb2:

Cheers all and thanks for looking in during the build..

Ron

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry Bob, I forgot to mention the make.....UHU G.P. (Yellow tube) This is the quick drying one I use. The solvent free version takes too long to grip, but is great for sticking polystyrene (As is UHU POR)

I've finished Bismarck and have modelled her heading down the Denmark Straits in May 1941. Fresh from her victory over HMS Hood.....

For the base, I used an old cupboard door and then added a tile adhesive sea which I squidged the ship into. Then painted the sea with cheapo acrylics and then added a dab of silicone here and there.

I'll post some more pictures over in Ships 'Completed' asap.
Here's one for now....

View attachment 451642

Thank you to those who posted their thoughts, links, humorous comments and valuable suggestions along the way. All much appreciated. :thumb2:

Cheers all and thanks for looking in during the build..

Ron
Ron,

You really are a genius at this modelling malarky!!

Very well done indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Never ceases to amaze me how you are able to make the most out of a tiny little ship and then get it to come to life with your fantastic photo skills.........Truly the Dog's Danglers 570 and a Tip 'O the Hat to you Sir! :thumb2: