Revell 1/72 VIIC/41 'Atlantic Version' German U. Boat

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Wet weather gear ready, yellow wellies on stand by, lifejackets checked, another soaking without a doubt.
Cheers
Alun:cool:
PS just arrived Revell 1:72 Flower class corvette platinum edition, will be looking for 'subs' to sink!!
Question:- what figures have you got?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome aboard Cox'n Wells! There again, with your British surface ship about to try and hunt me down, would you not be safer aboard that?!:worried:

I look forward to her going on the chocks none the less.....

Regarding the figures. I have this Revell 1/72 U.Boat crew set. Not bad, but poses are not very imaginative and made of that awful soft plastic. I might use just a couple in the conning tower, we'll see...

P1210272.JPG

Cheers Al'

Ron

Alun Wells

SMF Supporter
First Name
Alun
Welcome aboard Cox'n Wells! There again, with your British surface ship is about to try and hunt me down, would you not be safer aboard that?!:worried:

I look forward to her going on the chocks none the less.....

Regarding the figures. I have this Revell 1/72 U.Boat crew set. Not bad, but poses are not very imaginative and made of that awful soft plastic. I might use just a couple in the conning tower, we'll see...

View attachment 317763

Cheers Al'

Ron
Thanks Ron, the corvette comes with 15 figures, but again not very imaginative, so may adapt. Have found some metal figures at Gunthwaite Miniatures. Hope to start in a couple of weeks.
Cheers
Alun

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ron .
I hope us crew look a lot more imaginative in your mind than those. Mind you not a lot of poses for working on a sub, most standing or sitting looking at gauges.
Parrot is a little concerned that Steve Jones may mistake him for food and asks that you remind him he is the ships ( What do you call a sub ) mascot .:flushed:
LJ S
453 Race.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
453 Race.
I've done some research into the pedigree of your parrot. It would seem the bird is from 'questionable stock' so should have no trouble in telling S.J. to "**** **F!"

Decks fitted and ready for fixing.
Once fitted to the lifting gear the snorkel assembly is fitted to the underside of the deck and the snorkel itself pushed through the slot. then it can be raised or lowered.
P1210206.JPG

A tinlet for scale
P1210207.JPG

I forgot to mention there is a forward bulkhead with moulded torpedo hatches. This is for use when the outer bow doors are shown open. Mine are closed so no need to use it.

Deck fitting etc. next.

Cheers.
Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looks very neat Mein Kapitan.
Keep it up .
Mr P is relived to hear that , his answer was %%%#@%$$f
LJS
453 Race.

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Good progress. It is indeed a biggie. Gonna need extra large tubes of silicon!
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for your encouraging post boys.....

Deck fitted. Open planking.

P1210209.JPG

I don't bother with primer, so using a nice wide flat headed brush and the cheap paints I mentioned, I applied a slurry of black acrylics to bring out the plank gaps. I'm not bothered about the paint going where it shouldn't. Because I brush paint I have no need for masking tape, I can just cut in the paintwork neatly whenever the time is right.
P1210210.JPG

I don't like brown, all the same shade wooden decks. In my view they should be well bleached by the elements and a stiff deck brush. (Your choice, your deck, your model. )

...a wash of yellow ochre to start the bleaching.
P1210212.JPG

When dry a second hit and miss coat was applied to vary the shading. Remember that although each coat might be exactly the same shade, each subsequent one will be slightly darker than the last when applied in a hit and miss way over the previous one......Oh, yes it will!
Then cut in neatly with Lt. grey where the wood meets the metal edges. Apart from a bit of local staining to finish off at a later stage, that's it. No faffing about, just three simple, straight forward stages......and a plastic deck too!:upside:
P1210214.JPG

A bit of cleaning up spotted. Bl***y camera!

Cheers.
Ron

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Love this u boat already Ron, looking foreward to see the next steps :thumb2:
Cheers, Steven

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Lovely work Ron. It looks like a very crisp detailed kit. Good luck with all those figures:thumb2::thumb2:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hi Ron,
Paying close attention as I have one of these in 1/87 scale. I've never done any floaty things so this is all new to me.
Rick H.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Herr Kapitan Ron.
Love the wood look, damned good finish on plastic.
Yours.
LJS
Aka 453 RACE.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Gents. glad to see you haven't jump ship - Yet!

I've given the hull its first coat of acrylics. I've worked quickly so I didn't have time for neatness where the hull meets the main deck. If some paint goes over the top don't worry it can be sorted later - Just slosh the paint on and I mean "Slosh". With such a large lump of plastic, you have no choice or the job will be spoilt..... then lay the paint off!
The beauty of brush painting is that shading, stains, tones, washes, weathering, rust whatever are all introduced automatically with each coat of paint....And it all goes on the model and not into me.

Here's the 'yard brush' I'm using...
P1210310.JPG

....and the boat hull after its first coat. you can just make out a pencil line along the hull. This is the demarcation line for the colours. I don't use masking tape as this produces too harsh a paint line and it's too fiddly. I mark all around the hull, then with Big Bertha gradually work my way up to around the line area. I'm not fussed about getting the paint line dead on and perfectly straight.
Plenty more to do but we're away to go....
P1210216.JPG

First sort of greyish coat on the lower hull. Reasonably soft join and a bit up and down - Just what I was after. All will blend in more later.
P1210219.JPG

P1210220.JPG

I'll leave the hull for now so next up I'll tackle the best bit - The Conning Tower.....Luuuvvverly

Cheers all.

Ron

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Oh do hurry up Herr Kapitan Ron.
Polly wants to sail, he's found a great place to sleep over your hammock ! :flushed:

We do like this extreamly detailed method of applying the paint, I my self have rather the same approach using an AB :tongue-out3:Carry on Herr Kapitan

453 Race and Polly .

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Exec. 453 Race and the Norwegian Blue Parrot.
Can I kindly remind you that me being El Capitano does have it's privileges?
I sleep in a bunk not a lowly hammock.
In any case I feel sure the bird would be much happier cuddled up to Stoker S. Jones's manly bosom.

Should I find 'Polly' anywhere near my bunk your Norwegian Blue will indeed be a dead, late, stiff, deceased, ceased to be, gone to join the choir 'invisibeuwle' Ex. Parrot!

Return to your duties!

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Herr Kapitan.
Thank you for what I don't know !, but Polly has been informed and due to mixed members on here and some members with a gentle disposition all I can say is his reply was~~~~## ******* off.
He says his family are noted sailors and have never had any trouble in the past.
He's gone off to sling his hammock in the engine room, squawking to himself.

453 Race.

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Looking very nautical Ron. Deckwork is awesome.
453, 105 here. Came aboard w/resupply. Kindly placate your bird. I can sleep w/the engines but his constant muttering & loud expletives are disturbing my slumber.

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Looking very nautical Ron. Deckwork is awesome.
453, 105 here. Came aboard w/resupply. Kindly placate your bird. I can sleep w/the engines but his constant muttering & loud expletives are disturbing my slumber.
Evening 105.
Polly sends his regards, and promises to keep it down .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you 105.
There is a single torpedo chucker at the stern of this boat. Should the bird become a nuisance, you have my permission to use said chucker for another purpose other than the one it was designed for........

Should 453 object, sling him in the tube alongside the parrot!

Reactions: JR