Revell 1/87 Camouflaged German Light Goods Locomotive BR 50.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks for the positive input chaps.... :thumb2:

I've brushed on a coat of one of the lightest colours ready for the start of the other five colours to the camouflage.

P1250766.JPG

I've left the bottom half of the boiler in grey because......

P1250767.JPG

.....this afternoon I fixed me some side armour made from plastic card. Pretty or what?
P1250768.JPG
Now I can get stuck into marking out the camouflage.

Cheers.
Ron

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Ian.

Ever onwards into the unknown.....

After marking out the whole model, I've had a nice morning brush painting freehand, the first two colours over the Lt. Green. I'm using Vallejo Model Air German Military colours. Reasoning that the boys would paint their chuff chuff whatever colours they could scrounge, probably military. Anything to try and hide from the prowling allied Typhoons and Tempests.

I haven't the skill nor the patience to copy exactly the camo. pattern, I'm just using 'Artistic Licence' to get it summat like - and keep the fun element intact!

First coat over the green, a pale blue.
P1250772.JPG

Second, a mid. brown
P1250773.JPG

P1250775.JPG

The first coats are just roughly applied a bit wishy washy to try and get the percentages of the six colours something like equal.

Two more colours to add, then I'll go over the whole thing again and try and tidy things up as I go.

Too hot to paint now, so I'm off into the garden to catch me some rays!...... :sick::upside:

Cheers.
Ron

Attachments

• P1250772.JPG
    P1250772.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 3

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Ron
Enjoy chilling in the garden. Puff-puff paint job is looking very good.
Jim

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks Jim.
I trust all is well in Os-west-aary?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I'll finish this build for now....

Thanks to those who took the time to write encouraging and complimentary posts. They kept me going through what turned out to be a very difficult exercise.
I appreciated every one of them,,,, :thumb2:

Still loads to do. The paintwork still needs tidying, squaring up and generally sharpening and coating to an acceptable shade consistency. Then the loco will have some weathering etc. I'll do all this at a later date when my eyesight returns to some sense of normality.

Plenty of work still to do, but here are a few shots to close with. I've brushed on the last two colours, Dk. Yellow and German Grey. Making 6 in total.
P1250785.JPG

P1250786.JPG

P1250787.JPG

P1250788.JPG

P1250789.JPG

Thanks again for your support.

'A Bein Tot' my friends.......

Ron

tigersteve

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Looking great - if you had a countryside background we would hardly be able to spot it !!

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ron,
Apologies only just found this great build. I am always interested in your builds no matter what the subject and with results like this it is hardly surprising. I love everything from the overall finish to the kettle over the firebox.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
's a good job you didn't work for the Germans in WWII - we'd have never found any of their stuff! I'm assuming it's the excellent paint job which caused you all your problems as you were very complimentary about the kit build?

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I can imagine rocket Typhoons flying over German countryside wondering where the moving plume of smoke is coming from...
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Actually, I wonder why they camoflaged locos....they were mostly attacked from the air, and no matter how good the camo they would then show up as a hole in the track. Perhaps camouflaging them as track would have been more effective.....

MikeC

SMF Supporter
Has left the Building
First Name
Michael
Thanks chaps.

Don't know really, I've never attempted either. It'll probably go tits up, but I have to at least try. If I do make a balls of it I'll re-paint it in a light colour and have another bash.

Mike, is this the Revell 'Big One' you have? (I'll delete it as soon as I find out) If it is, it makes up into a great kit. Bl***y long too! I made mine all 'orrible and dirty.

View attachment 379251

View attachment 379252

Cheers.
Ron
Ron
No, it's that damn great big German 1/35 scale one.
Mike

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave. The kit is great. The brush painting was very hard to do to get to this stage - and it's not even finished yet.....

Tim. A tough cookie for sure. See full swear box! It'll be full up again before the painting is satisfactorily completed.

I can imagine rocket Typhoons flying over German countryside wondering where the moving plume of smoke is coming from...
Pete
Pete, here's a bit of 'Quicky' fun. Please, not to be taken seriously. Hopefully, I'll be making a 'proper' dio. later when the loco is finished.

French 'Ace' Pierre Clostermann in his Tempest a'hunting rail traffic!
P1250792.JPG

P1250791.JPG

Thanks for all the great posts boys... :thumb2:

Ron