SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Begining to look like the "Belle" Mike.

Great work, keep it up.

Tony.

A

Atticus

Hey Deisenaut, your Belle is looking great! I'm about to build this exact model myself. Built it 15 years ago when I was a kid, but got smashed during a house move. Looking forward to building it again now that I've got much higher quality tools and a bit more experience. Will post pics and progess as I go. Any tips would be much appreciated :smiling3:

D

Deisenaut

thanks very much - its my first build and im learning by mistake (tried taking off some of the weathering this morning) so I would be the last person to ask for advise! Brush painting this monster is tough. Dont install ball turrett until its 100% - made a real mess of mine - I heard that wood glue is best for clear plastic as it doesnt frost up. I used Humbrol enamels which im assuming is rare but i can post my colour list if you want

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi Mike

I think you've done well for your first build. We all learn by our mistakes and i have made plenty. Keep up the good work.

Vaughan

D

Deisenaut

Did my first coat of pledge tonight - I hope its meant to be a bit cloudy and bubbly going on - you can see the bottle in previous post - I assume they have changed the branding slightly. Hoping to start decals tomorrow.

View attachment 42555

2012-01-10 21.57.43.jpg

D

Deisenaut

\ said:
dont worry about it being cloudy, it dries clear.
It dried okay - a few brownish drips on the underside that I had to chip off but maybe too liberaly applied. About 8 decals applied today. Need to order some microset - happy enough though

View attachment 42596

2012-01-11 21.48.38.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That's looking good Mike. I'm still on my stash of old Klear but your experience with this would seem to confirm what several members have said,that is that the new formula does the job just as well.

Cheers

Steve

D

Deisenaut

forgive the 'incorrect' naming conventions if someone can correct me, but fuel caps, hideous to get right black lines on wing, and 2 on engine too small to read. Thanks for all compliments (cant click thanks from my phone)

D

Deisenaut

Can anyone advise me, after I have finished the weathering should I use a Satin Varnish? Not sure on what that final step would be for this model - thanks

D

dubster72

Other more experienced aircraft builders will be better able to give a definitive answer, but I would say no, you want a matt finish. Plus if you apply some coat over your pastels, they'll disappear!

Patrick

D

Deisenaut

I new disaster would strike at some point on my first build and I did a right job on it tonight! I decided to make a wash of oil paint and turps and no sooner was it on it got all tacky - it seemed to lift the klear coat too - got most of it off and tried to redeem the situation. Anyway have put a coat of pledge over and here are the results. The lighting is very bad but it is olive drab. I another thing - the surface seemed to go grainy

View attachment 42911

View attachment 42912

2012-01-17 21.07.20.jpg

2012-01-17 21.10.17.jpg

D

Deisenaut

I'm gonna try and get a camera not on a phone first and some better lighting. Hoping for some criticism as I'm happy with it as a first build but know that I have screwed up a lot as well!