Revell Golf GTI mk1 1975

First Name
Marc
Here is my completed Golf GTI.

You can follow the build here:

http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/revell-golf-gti-mk1-1975.29414/

Taken 3 months approx it's been my first model since 1994.

Overall I am pleased with the build, it's been a challenge and I have made a few mistakes along the way.

Mostly down to either not having the correct tools at the time or parts of the model simply has been a little beyond my capabilities.

There are a couple of criticisms with the kit itself. The biggest one in my opinion is the wheel arches. You have to paint them, which is very difficult toa get right, this let's the kit down. At the very least they should have reduced the amount of numberplate choices on the decal sheet and supplied decals for the wheel arches. As a preference I would have liked to see separate mouldings for the wheel arches to be painted then assembled onto the body. The other issues were the exhaust pipe was far too long; the chassis required a lot of filing to make it fit properly; some parts had so much flashing on them I decided not to use them (the handbrake was actually unusable) and the wing mirrors were so thin they actually broke off when i cut off the sprue; and had to repair it right at the end.

What do I love most about the model? The paint finish; front grille and window rubbers. What I I dislike about my model? The wheel arches.

I used humbrol enamels throughout, I made a mistake of using humbrol clear; but was able to rectify using humbrol gloss coat.

Enjoyed this build very much.

View attachment 101148

View attachment 101149

View attachment 101150

View attachment 101151

View attachment 101152

View attachment 101153

2015-02-23 09.56.17.jpg

2015-02-23 10.05.04.jpg

2015-02-23 10.06.46.jpg

2015-02-23 10.07.24.jpg

2015-02-23 10.08.13.jpg

20150222_232426.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
A great return to modelling look forward to more of these please

0ne48thtel

I Like that a lot! before I clicked on the images to make them bigger I thought you had it set in a show room.

B

Bunkerbarge

Absolute cracker. I once owned exactly one of these, as below, but not the GTI version, and bought this kit when it was produced by AMT/Matchbox under the American guise of VW Rabbit. I got a tin of spray touch up paint for the car, Pheonix Rot (Flame red), and sprayed the body. Then it sat on the shelf for years and never got finished until I binned it. I really wish I'd kept it and finished it now! You have done a superb job of the model and brought back some fond memories for me in the process.

View attachment 101180

View attachment 101181

1984-01-0011.jpg

1985-8-0001.jpg

D

dubster72

I'm with Terry, you've got to look hard to see that it's a model!

Really nice work Marc, great finish on the paint - reminds me of my time embarrassing Fords as I zipped past them in my Mk. 1 GTi :smiling3:

First Name
Marc
Thanks guys. I have to say that the forum has also added to the enjoyment. It's great being able to share with likeminded people.

Onto the next kit now.

D

dougie

Fantastic build, this car is on my list. You have done a really nice job mate.

I have a fujimi r32 to do and it's going to be red like the one I drive but I'm not doing it until I cut my teeth on the 2 Subaru and Lancia delta rally cars I have kicking about.

How did you find that clear coat and what did you use? I've done some test pieces with Tamiya mica and humbrol clear or alclad klear. The humbrol crazes if the Tamiya has not fully degassed and I'm on the second try of that with a test piece curing now. the alclad was not as shiny off the bat but didn't crack. I think I had temperature issues though as well as inexperience as it was Orange peeled.

Also yes this forum is the best and friendliest I've used for any forum full stop.

W

Waffen Bucks

Beautiful...clean crisp line and detail.

Again...if you didn't know before hand...you'd think it was a real one

First Name
Marc
The humbrol clear that they seem to be advertising aggressively at the moment really isn't fit for purpose in my opinion. It's okay for making glass parts appear more glassy, and I actually used some of it to repair a broken decal that lost its adhesive bond; but as for using in an airbrush to make a glossy hard finish like that on a polished motor car it's awful.

It chips off; it runs; and if you lay down more than two coats it cracks up.

Much better results using humbrol gloss coat which is enamel based. It dries very hard, it grabs well so won't run even when thinned with enamel thinners and you can lay down as many coats as you want.

When it comes to polishing on the last stageit stays put doesn't chip or break up.

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Whoaa!!:eek:

Where are the keys, bub??

Very nicely done!!:cool:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks great Marc it looks so real if it weren't for the fact you can see the cars outside the window

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Great work, think you have done it justice.

Si:smiling3:

One of the ugliest cars in the history of cars.

Even if you build it clean and nice as you did, it's still ugly. :smiling3:

First Name
Marc
I must admit they aren't the prettiest of cars. But it's about the significance of the GTI.

Before the GTI the only performance cars you could get were either ultra expensive from the likes of Ferrari or Lambo or the so called sport offerings from MG or Triumph that were unreliable and slow.

I'd say the Golf GTI was the first real reliable sports car available to the masses. Along with the Saab 99 Turbo a couple of years beforehand which also wasn't exactly pretty either; both iconic though.

You might like my next build though.

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
Superb Job on that Marc ........... Five Big Stars from me Matey.

Peter

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Looks like it is in a show room for sale. Very nice work Marc, I can tell you enjoyed the build because the result is a beauty. Great build mate.